Dark Skies And Other Mmesque Shows

Rate this topic

kenscanna

hey hey

I was wondering if i could get some recomendations for shows from you guys?

I like shows like MM, X Files, Sherlock Holmes, Violet Blue ... and was wondering if any other kewl shows exist?

also does anyone here remember a show titled "Dark Skies", it had the girl from Voyager (the borg one) and was very X Files-esque, i also think there was another one...any idea's on the availability of these on DVD?

k

i remember Dark Skies as being a X-file rip-off.......some shows i do recommend are:

Criminal Minds, its about a group of profilers.....i like it due to its dark nature at times.

Supernatural, this show is still on the air....but i think it appeals to a younger audience.

Revelations, was last years NBC mini-series....i kinda liked it but had a horrible ending. Revelations is now available on DVD

other shows worth mentioning.......Crossing Jordan.........Bones

Guest betweenthelines

This one's a bit of a stretch, but I'm going to suggest "Six Feet Under". Like "Millennium", it also has some interesting musical choices, as well as dealing with certain topics (death, for instance) in a realistic and non-corny fashion. Oh yeah; both producer Laurence Andries ('Closure') and director Allen Coulter ('Beware of the Dog', 'Siren') have had experience working on SFU.

• 2 weeks later...
try "Profiler", its on DVD
Well, there are several series that jump out at me, given the preferences you state...I would recommend, although rather campy by today's standards, and in no particular order the following ORIGIONAL series

1. Night Stalker w/Darrin McGavin (Frank's father in Midnight of the Century)

2. The Twilight Zone series w/Rod Serling.

3. Harsh Realm - another Chris Carter production

4. The Outer Limits

5. One Step Beyond - a show based on true life paranormal experiences...some will give you the creeps.

6. Night Gallery - another Rod Serling production, post Twilight Zone

7. The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

If i remember correctly, Carter was influenced to a degree by the origional Night Stalker series, which when watched today is a bit campy, special effects wise, but i remember being riveted to the television as a youngster for the hour it was on...

Please remember that several of the above are in black and white and even though produced in the 50's-60's, still carry a punch today.

I, 4th Horseman strongly suggest any of these as great, intelligent, sometimes creepy entertainment. Some of the series mentioned by others members as well are also good choices..

Till the Last Change...Be Done..

4th Horseman...

For those of us in Blighty a new show is about to be unleased upon us and whilst it is by no means a dark affair it is about as sc-fi as our television gets these days. Life On Mars is a BBC1 drama about a time-travelling cop (talk about cashing in on the Doctor Who revival) which starts Monday 9th at 9pm. Follow this little link to get the low down: Life On Mars. And if that isn't getting you going, and I confess it isn't doing a whole lot for me, then the British X-Files, Sea Of Souls (God help us) begins again tonight on BBC 1 at 9.10pm. More promising is The Eleventh Hour with Patrick Stewart which starts on ITV on January the 19th.

Professor Ian Hood is called in by the British government to tackle disasters caused by modern science. Eleventh Hour is an investigative series set against a background of contemporary science. Every story involves a human crisis, and every crisis arises out of a current scientific development. The stories are tales of suspense, races to avert disaster, the stories of individuals caught up in the unforeseen consequences of progress.
Could be intriguing....

Eth

For those of us in Blighty a new show is about to be unleased upon us and whilst it is by no means a dark affair it is about as sc-fi as our television gets these days. Life On Mars is a BBC1 drama about a time-travelling cop (talk about cashing in on the Doctor Who revival) which starts Monday 9th at 9pm. Follow this little link to get the low down: Life On Mars. And if that isn't getting you going, and I confess it isn't doing a whole lot for me, then the British X-Files, Sea Of Souls (God help us) begins again tonight on BBC 1 at 9.10pm. More promising is The Eleventh Hour with Patrick Stewart which starts on ITV on January the 19th. Could be intriguing....

Eth

BEER----> i just got the One Step Beyone 12 disc set for xmas...its hard to find in stock anywhere, but its pretty easy to find on line or on ebay....its 49 episodes, and i am not quite sure if thats all of them or not...anyway, it will take quite a bit of time to get thru all of them......BELCH

4th Horseman

Guest ZeusFaber
For those of us in Blighty a new show is about to be unleased upon us and whilst it is by no means a dark affair it is about as sc-fi as our television gets these days. Life On Mars is a BBC1 drama about a time-travelling cop (talk about cashing in on the Doctor Who revival) which starts Monday 9th at 9pm. Follow this little link to get the low down: Life On Mars. And if that isn't getting you going, and I confess it isn't doing a whole lot for me, then the British X-Files, Sea Of Souls (God help us) begins again tonight on BBC 1 at 9.10pm. More promising is The Eleventh Hour with Patrick Stewart which starts on ITV on January the 19th. Could be intriguing....

Eth

As a Brit myself, I have no hesitation in declaring that we just cannot do quality scripted drama. I cannot think of a single UK TV series that does not pale in comparison to my US favourites in terms of production value, acting, writing, music and direction. It's almost embarrasing. The comedy genre might be a rare exception, but it is by no means universal.

I'd gladly trade in my UK stations for a magic cross-Atlantic stream of the American networks, if only it were possible.