I Believe Fox Has Cut Ties With Chris Carter Which Means We Will Never See X-files Or Millennium Again

Rate this topic

Guest tegs123

Guest tegs123

i truly think with the current issues with fox and carter that we will never se a millennium or a x-files movie/series again unless FOx decide to sell the rights to another network (wich they will never do becouse fox earns a s*** loads thru DVD sales) i think its mainly due to fox getting angry with Carter becouse he decided to stop the x-files (something fox did not agree with) and becouse fox realises anything will carter will probably be a failure financialy if they decide to invest in his projects again... i think this is the only true logical explanation to why we havent seen carter work for years and probably wont for a while... for fox 24 or other shows are the priority

its a big shame though Millennium is 10 times better than lost 24 or any of those newer shows

Guest mintek
i truly think with the current issues with fox and carter that we will never se a millennium or a x-files movie/series again unless FOx decide to sell the rights to another network (wich they will never do becouse fox earns a s*** loads thru DVD sales) i think its mainly due to fox getting angry with Carter becouse he decided to stop the x-files (something fox did not agree with) and becouse fox realises anything will carter will probably be a failure financialy if they decide to invest in his projects again... i think this is the only true logical explanation to why we havent seen carter work for years and probably wont for a while... for fox 24 or other shows are the priority

its a big shame though Millennium is 10 times better than lost 24 or any of those newer shows

Source? Link?

Guest Everlast

This seems to be circular logic. If FOX is earning a lot of money from DVD sales (I'm assuming you mean from MillenniuM), a show that Chris Carter created, then why would they not be interested in trying to bring it back to make more money? I should really pay more attention to the Nielson ratings nowadays, but FOX has aired countless new series in that 8:00 timeslot and nothing ever holds up because they cancel shows usually after just 1 season! Perhaps they're worried that Bush's FCC wouldn't allow them to air half the stuff that went on over the course of the series, who knows?

Happy New Year All!

I fly back home tomorrow so hopefully you'll be seeing me back regularly in spite of an arm injury that's hampering my ability to type.

I don't necessarily agree that just because the ties between Fox and Carter are cut tha we'll have no hope of a Millennium resurrection. I don't know the details to speak on it knowledgeably, but Joss Wheaton's Serenity movie was done by Universaly and not by Fox which has the rights to the show. This is why it wasn't called Firefly, why the Firefly theme wasn't used at all and why some of the sets changed somewhat and the like.

So I think it's conceivable that Millennium could be resurrected in a new form with the same characters but it likely just wouldn't have the Millennium name, the theme, etc.

While I agree that there are a lot of politics and money involved (always are in just about everything), I'm not convenced that CC and Fox have had a magor parting of the ways. These people are just slow.... and thinking only of what will make the most income....not necessarily what is the best creative work.

Guest ZeusFaber

None of this has a any real basis in reality. It's just a natural angry reaction from fans starved of our favourite shows.

FOX (the TV network) has no material connection with CC any more because they do not have any shows in production together. This is only natural and not in the least surprising or shocking.

At the top of CC's current agenda appears to be negotiating a deal for TXF2, which he has expressed great willingness to do. If and when 20th Century Fox (the movie studio) decide they are interested in the project, they will hammer out a deal.

There is no need for anger, dissolutionment or expectation in the mean time. I will never understand fans' desire to try and predict the future with regard to future projects. My advice would be to calm down, sit back, and let whatever happens happen in its own good time. Worrying about it wont do anybody any good.

And just because FOX has other successful projects on the go (such as 24 -- which is a great show despite its muddled fourth season), doesn't mean they can't focus on anything else at the same time. Big media conglomerates have hundreds of fingers to poke in thousands of pies.

Round of applause to Zues for such an eloquently reasoned response. Chris Carter is not beholden to Fox and nor are they to him. In our desperation the degree of rumours has, on occasion, reached ludicrous levels and many of the things written about the future of 1013 and its body of work are laughable. I, for one, am content to sit back and enjoy the huge contribution Chris Carter has made to television and look to the future with neither hope nor despair: that way I am never dissapointed.

• Elders (Moderators)

Excellent responses, as always. The business side of the industry is very complex. But I want to mention the idea that Fox is angry at CC for ending the X-Files. The legal rights to the X-Files has always been with Fox, so only Fox could end the show. I would guess that the contract between CC and Fox for Season 9 of the X-Files contained the proviso that if the X-Files was to end then it would be CC who would make that announcement and decide on the timing. Fox always had the right to continue the show without CC or DD or GA. There was an interview with CC way before Season 9 where he specifically said that.

Network suits might be stupid about cancelling good shows, but they're rarely stupid about p*ssing off people who could make more money for them.

Interestingly....I have just flipped open my brand new polybagged SFX magazine and there is a two page article on the X-Files sequel. Before anyone gets too excited it is a rather dashing cartoon of Mulder, Scully et. al. with various musings from fans on what they want and don't want (no more Moronica and Doggett made me laugh even though I loved them) and it seems to spend a large amount of print space talking about a prequel - I only hope and pray those writing in have been inspired by the Star Wars prequels and nothing 'actual' being planned. I tried to scan this for you all but the lump of ancient wires is not having it. It's woth a few pennies for cartoon alone.