The Thin White Line

Rate this topic

I am not sure this has been discussed, but i have done some extensive research in regards to the nuances contained within The Thin White Line...what i found were some incredible parallels between the acutal episode and a real life case involving a prisoner currently housed at LeavenWorth by the name of Thomas Silverstein. This was bolstered by a recent episode of American Justice on A&E...

Here are some articles by a very, very select few people ever allowed access to Mr. Silverstein...notice the similarities between the actual prisoner and the fictional Richard Hance..

BBC News Online's Chris Summers investigates the case of Thomas Silverstein, a man considered so dangerous he has been isolated from the outside world for 18 years. Thomas Silverstein is often described by the authorities as America's most dangerous prisoner.

In the six years after he was jailed for armed robbery in 1977 he killed two fellow inmates - and stabbed to death prison guard Merle Clutts. He was cleared of a third murder. At the time, the murder of a federal prison guard was not a capital offence and Silverstein was sentenced to life in jail - the maximum term available.

After the murder of Mr Clutts, in Marion penitentiary in Illinois, he was placed on "no human contact" status.

Silverstein, now 49, spends his days in a specially-designed cell deep in the bowels of Leavenworth federal penitentiary in Kansas.

Thomas Silverstein has been locked under the tightest conditions in the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) in total isolation since he murdered a correctional officer in 1983. The lights are kept on 24 hours a day in his cell. At first, the BOP stripped him to his boxer shorts and did not let him have anything in his cell. While security cameras were being installed, two guards sat outside his cell and watched him round the clock. He was kept under these conditions for six months.

Here are some links in case you are interested...

https://www.peteearley.com/gallery/

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1393970.stm

4th Horseman

Guest SouthernCelt
Thomas Silverstein has been locked under the tightest conditions in the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) in total isolation since he murdered a correctional officer in 1983. The lights are kept on 24 hours a day in his cell. At first, the BOP stripped him to his boxer shorts and did not let him have anything in his cell. While security cameras were being installed, two guards sat outside his cell and watched him round the clock. He was kept under these conditions for six months.

4th Horseman

Sounds like Hannibal Lecter-type incarceration!

• 3 years later...
Guest RodimusBen

The interrogation scene was what sold me on Millennium. Absolutely riveting. Of course you know Frank is not going to get killed, but the camera work with the close-ups and the acting by both actors was tremendous. I also thought it was a great choice to leave the scene largely free of music.

• 1 month later...

I loved this episode, mostly in part by the fact you have Frank facing his demons, making him all the more seem like a normal human being. My only question is, do we get a glimpse of the scar on his palm in any of the earlier episodes? I've tried to look when I'm watching them, but I can't tell half the time. Anybody know?

Howdy Horseman, interesting post. I've read some background on that guy previously, if there is anyone who deserves the death penalty, he would get my vote. Along the same lines, did you ever see the A&E interviews with Richard Kuklinski? He was a hit man for the mob but this guy's demeanor is very open when talking about his exploits as a hitman. Chilling at the very least. Very matter-of-fact about his crimes, somewhat like BTK, who is in my opinion, one of the most cold blooded humans ever to walk breathe air. I've heard that the prison officials have to limit the number of psychiatists, profilers, and others who want a crack at BTK or he would never be in his cell. Our society does produce some monsters, no doubt.

• 11 months later...
Guest WaveCrest

Yes, does anyone have the answer to this?

I was going to ask this same question. Watched "The Thin White Line" (what did the episode title mean?) again on Tuesday night and it was as good as before. Definitely one of the best Millennium episodes and one of season one's best. The scar on Frank's palm is one of the hooks of this episode's story. The episode itself kept your interest throughout, and Frank's scar was one of the things which kept you enthalled.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reynard

A contender with the Pilot episode for best episode of season one, I love this tale so much, with great work from everyone, the thing I love most is how Morgan and Wong managed to get away with a ten minute scene in one location with only two actors. No explosions, no shoot out, just two actors delivering great work. It's things like this that make me realise network television is so lost without them.

I always wondered if the scar is real and was covered up in other eps until someone noticed and used for a story line. I have a friend who use to work in the business on 'stargate' and ideas came for stories came from the oddest places :tongue: