Lucy Vs. Frank - The Final Battle?

Rate this topic

Ok all..since we seem to be on a hypothetical threadline here, lets keep the momentum going.

Here is the situation:

You are Chris Carter, Thomas Wright, Skip Johannsen, David Nutter all rolled into one. You have been asked to deal with the Lucy Butler/Frank Black relationship. Given free reign and an unlimited budget to go in any direction, but knowing that you only have one shot to get it right, what do YOU THINK is the best path to take: this continues to be one of the most agonizingly unanswered, unsolved issues from MillenniuM....what to do with Lucy...forget the group, i dont want posts concerning what direction you would take the group in, focus on Lucy and Frank, and come up with some ideas...

just curious as to what others ideas would be...

would Divina play a role? perhaps as a growing menace to Jordan?

let it rip..

4th Horseman...

Great topic!

Yes, after a while, I don't want to hear any more about the group, either. I would have really rather seen Lucy have a larger impact on Frank than just to show up, f*ck with his mind, and claim he raped her.

Give me a good, old fashoned show down like in Lamentations!

Guest ZeusFaber

Great topic, but I can't really respond to any of your questions without spoiling some of the work I'm going to be doing in the Virtual Fifth Season.

I'll look forward to hearing what you think when the time finally comes around though.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Ok all..since we seem to be on a hypothetical threadline here, lets keep the momentum going.

Here is the situation:

You are Chris Carter, Thomas Wright, Skip Johannsen, David Nutter all rolled into one. You have been asked to deal with the Lucy Butler/Frank Black relationship. Given free reign and an unlimited budget to go in any direction, but knowing that you only have one shot to get it right, what do YOU THINK is the best path to take: this continues to be one of the most agonizingly unanswered, unsolved issues from MillenniuM....what to do with Lucy...forget the group, i dont want posts concerning what direction you would take the group in, focus on Lucy and Frank, and come up with some ideas...

just curious as to what others ideas would be...

would Divina play a role? perhaps as a growing menace to Jordan?

let it rip..

4th Horseman...

I'm not qualified yet to comment; but, I'll get to the rest of those S-3 Episodes and get back to you : )

• 1 year later...
Guest peas_and_corn

I'm not quite sure whether the idea of a "final battle" is a good one- the battle between good and evil is best when portrayed as a never ending series of battles, which is what MillenniuM did quite well

Guest Heath328

The reason why Lucy was so interested in the little girl in "Antipas" was because she wanted the right kind of Tabula Rasa to corrupt. Demons do everything they do in order to influence humanity toward something other than God.

It would be interesting, as one other poster noted, if there was a big coming battle: Lucy's progeny (and this wouldn't be limited just to Kavina) vs. Jordan.

The scariest thing for Frank would be the uncertainty of his little girl (no matter how old she gets, she'll always be Frank's baby) facing the forces of darkness, relying on whatever wisdom he has taught her about life, good vs. evil and the Blacks' unique gifts.

The reason why Lucy was so interested in the little girl in "Antipas" was because she wanted the right kind of Tabula Rasa to corrupt. Demons do everything they do in order to influence humanity toward something other than God.

It would be interesting, as one other poster noted, if there was a big coming battle: Lucy's progeny (and this wouldn't be limited just to Kavina) vs. Jordan.

The scariest thing for Frank would be the uncertainty of his little girl (no matter how old she gets, she'll always be Frank's baby) facing the forces of darkness, relying on whatever wisdom he has taught her about life, good vs. evil and the Blacks' unique gifts.

Yes! Lucy would use Jordan to tempt Frank to finally give in, but Jordan would finally realize the power in her and turn on Lucy. Lucy is caught off-gurd and Jordan sens her into the abyss. AND there will NOT be 7 minutes of Lucy falling with "The Wicked Witch Is Dead" playing in the background. We learned our lesson at the end of season two. Last scene is Frank entering Lucy's hideout thinking he will somehow sacrifice himself for Jordan, but then seeing Lucy falling at the hands of Jordan. .. big hug, tears etc.

Yes! Lucy would use Jordan to tempt Frank to finally give in, but Jordan would finally realize the power in her and turn on Lucy. Lucy is caught off-gurd and Jordan sens her into the abyss. AND there will NOT be 7 minutes of Lucy falling with "The Wicked Witch Is Dead" playing in the background. We learned our lesson at the end of season two. Last scene is Frank entering Lucy's hideout thinking he will somehow sacrifice himself for Jordan, but then seeing Lucy falling at the hands of Jordan. .. big hug, tears etc.
Gosh, its good to revisit old posts...when i brought up the origional idea of a battle between Jordan and Legion's progeny, i was only tossing ideas to the wind. As we came to realize during the 3 seasons of MillenniuM, there were many pre-pubescent manifestations of Legion. Divina, Lucas from SDOM, Danielle Barbakow from Monster. The concept was only meant to be an overview, a consideration if you may of another possible storyline. Unfortunately, the whole issue of Frank and Lucy was SORELY ignored. From its wonderful genesis with "Lamentations", thru a quick reference in PPTD, we dont see anything of either her or the brewing confrontation between Frank until, in a somewhat diluted aspect, "A Room With No View". It was only in "Antipas" that we see anything close to what was promised in "Lamentations", a relationship, like we all have had, that has been thru the highest of peaks and the lowest of valleys, a relationship that has matured due to circumstance, an intimate knowledge of each other, nearly as intimate as his knowledge of Catherine...Then as a final goodbye, we get the 5 second spinning quasi-bobblehead appearance in SDOM. I have always, and still feel that it was an opportunity missed, one that could have lended an even more darker side to MillenniuM....

just my thoughts...

4th Horseman..

Gosh what thoroughly enjoyable posts, all of them.

I'm not quite sure whether the idea of a "final battle" is a good one- the battle between good and evil is best when portrayed as a never ending series of battles, which is what MillenniuM did quite well

I totally agree with 'Peas and Corn' that a final battle would cheapen the whole Lucy and Frank dynamic forging the narrative into the lurid comic book world of 'X-Men vs Magneto' and other such follies. The microscopic tokens of their tumultuous relationship were more pleasing and good-vs-evil should never have a victor, respect should be afforded to the mystical necessity of Yin and Yang and mature and subtle representations thereof should not be given to Star-Wars like climaxes and duels.

I am happy that Millennium credited the arch with sensitivity and allowed us to wonder and propose and did not feel the need to show the anatomy of character but simply augment it with slow-cooked substratum. There is nothing more bogus, in my mind, than biographical narratives and ones that swear allegiance to an initial proposition whilst lacking any au courant desire to challenge. 'A Room With No View' is Lucy's finest hour to my mind, it treats the character with subtlety and holds back from jarring infodump and pseudo-demonology. Lucy is at her most enigmatic when enthroned in 40's fabric and deliciously playing the Luciferian principle as saccharine, there is a real danger in constantly portraying her as cheaply-demonic that a resonant campness begins to seep into the characterization and all we are left with is the gurning boo-hiss of a pantomime villain.

I believe the reason Lucy remains such a resonant force within our universe is that she is treated with kindness, the true profundity of the Luciferian principle on which she is based is not confused with the Satanic grotesque of the middle-age Grimoires and is thus allowed to be almost softly evil.

An apocalyptic confrontation would serve only to misunderstand the depth and attenuate overtones of her story and I for one am happy she is left to simmer without ever coming to the boil.