Luminary

Rate this topic

Guest F_Black

Guest F_Black

I just watched this episode all the way through for the first time in a while and I remembered why I liked it so much. It's a fascinating ep because it's different from many of the others, but still hits the key mechanisms that make so many of Chris Carter's works memorable.

There's no serial killer or supernatural killer in this one; there's some gross parts and it deals with death, but natural death. In some ways, even more natural death than usual in society: someone dies quietly (and someone else almost dies) in the wilderness and is gently floated down stream much like countless animals have for millions of years. Even the voiceovers while the body is floating downstream in the beginning have a more contemplative, rather than the menacing quality of the usual episode. That makes it different from the usual episodes.

I think one of the reasons it resonates is because it's much like Blake's 'Heart of Darkness' but with -- and very unusually for Carter -- a lighter twist. And by 'lighter' I mean hopeful, not the comedic or lack-of-emotion sense. In HoD, the protagonist takes a journey up a river into a very dark place to kill an evil person. Here, however, Frank makes a similar journey up a river, but here it's to save a life and to find beauty in the wildnerness, ultimately expressed in the northern lights. They both make a life-changing journey but for different reasons and with different results. Frank, through his journey to rescue someone making a similar journey, finds himself again. And he does it despite the powers that be (the Group) rather than strictly at the behest of the powers that be (as in HoD). It's a very classic literary theme -- a life-changing journey and return -- but turned on its head.

Besides that, it shows a lot about the relationships between the characters that I loved. For example, Frank vs. the Group which includes Watts, but at the same time there is that deep personal bond between Watts and Frank that I think Watts is having trouble dealing with. He's been with the Group for a long time and that's all he thinks there is, but Frank starts to show him that there is possibly more that he should know. That is, Watts has been working under the assumption that the Group is his sole path to enlightenment, but Frank is starting to show him that wisdom can also come from a far simpler place: family, friends, and self-fulfillment. This is highlighted in Frank's sparring with the Group in the beginning of the ep. I always liked Frank and Watts' relationship, and I was sad to see it sour in some respects through Season 3.

And, you know, I get a kick out of the whole rebelliousness and single-minded determination Frank shows. Everybody says No, but he trusts his instincts -- his Gift -- and goes out and gets the kid, no matter the personal risk.

Fabulous episode. I get something new from it every time I watch it.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
I just watched this episode all the way through for the first time in a while and I remembered why I liked it so much. It's a fascinating ep because it's different from many of the others, but still hits the key mechanisms that make so many of Chris Carter's works memorable.

There's no serial killer or supernatural killer in this one; there's some gross parts and it deals with death, but natural death. In some ways, even more natural death than usual in society: someone dies quietly (and someone else almost dies) in the wilderness and is gently floated down stream much like countless animals have for millions of years. Even the voiceovers while the body is floating downstream in the beginning have a more contemplative, rather than the menacing quality of the usual episode. That makes it different from the usual episodes.

I think one of the reasons it resonates is because it's much like Blake's 'Heart of Darkness' but with -- and very unusually for Carter -- a lighter twist. And by 'lighter' I mean hopeful, not the comedic or lack-of-emotion sense. In HoD, the protagonist takes a journey up a river into a very dark place to kill an evil person. Here, however, Frank makes a similar journey up a river, but here it's to save a life and to find beauty in the wildnerness, ultimately expressed in the northern lights. They both make a life-changing journey but for different reasons and with different results. Frank, through his journey to rescue someone making a similar journey, finds himself again. And he does it despite the powers that be (the Group) rather than strictly at the behest of the powers that be (as in HoD). It's a very classic literary theme -- a life-changing journey and return -- but turned on its head.

Besides that, it shows a lot about the relationships between the characters that I loved. For example, Frank vs. the Group which includes Watts, but at the same time there is that deep personal bond between Watts and Frank that I think Watts is having trouble dealing with. He's been with the Group for a long time and that's all he thinks there is, but Frank starts to show him that there is possibly more that he should know. That is, Watts has been working under the assumption that the Group is his sole path to enlightenment, but Frank is starting to show him that wisdom can also come from a far simpler place: family, friends, and self-fulfillment. This is highlighted in Frank's sparring with the Group in the beginning of the ep. I always liked Frank and Watts' relationship, and I was sad to see it sour in some respects through Season 3.

And, you know, I get a kick out of the whole rebelliousness and single-minded determination Frank shows. Everybody says No, but he trusts his instincts -- his Gift -- and goes out and gets the kid, no matter the personal risk.

Fabulous episode. I get something new from it every time I watch it.

Yes, this was quite a special episode quite set apart from many of the others; I like your insight into the different, contemplative tone of the show. I remember when I very first saw this episode that it left a much different impression on me than most the others. I liked your comparison too with 'Hearts of Darkness'; I would never have thought of that (that was one of my VERY favorite films, BTW - the documentary of Coppola'a making the film was quite good too : )

I agree with your comments concerning Frank's and Peter's relationship; since I'm just starting to watch the 3rd Season for the very first time, I was rather dismayed at seeing the anger and distrust between them when they had been so close. But a few episodes into the season it was good to see that circumstances have transpired so as to bring them a little closer again. Like I commented in another post, I felt that in "Collateral Damage" the scene where Peter and Frank really talk for the very first time and where Peter is pleading quite emotionally (and quite understandably) for Frank's help in finding his daughter, that this was tremendously powerful. I won't admit to crying or anything (being the manly man that I am) but it was d*mn close!

: )

Guest F_Black

the scene where Peter and Frank really talk for the very first time and where Peter is pleading quite emotionally (and quite understandably) for Frank's help in finding his daughter, that this was tremendously powerful.

Bingo. I remember that scene well. Watts was always the intellectual non-emotional one, and in that scene it's finally crumbling.

I'm reading "Into The Wild", the book that inspired Luminary right now.

The real guy's real name was Chris, but he started calling himself Alex.

I recommend this book to anyone that loves this episode!

Thanks! I'll check it out!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Janset

I have to buy this book. Unfortuanetely,the french translation doesn't exist anymore. My english is not perfect but the story is too strong,I have to read it anyway.

Moreover, Sean Penn projects to make a movie upon this book. I want to see this :clapping:

Edited by Janset

I have to buy this book. Unfortuanetely,the french translation doesn't exist anymore. My english is not perfect but the story is too strong,I have to read it anyway.

Moreover, Sean Penn projects to make a movie upon this book. I want to see this :clapping:

Sean Penn! Now THAT should be something! That fellow has come a HELL of a long way...

Raven Wolf, have you finished the book yet? What were your thoughts on it? Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Since we are in "Luminary Week" I couldn't resist posting Wikipedia's information on the word "Luminary."

And, may I add, "Into The Wild" is now a movie and is available on DVD. It's very good.

LUMINARY

For other uses, see Luminary (disambiguation). The luminaries were what traditional astrologers called the two astrological "planets" which were the brightest and most important objects in the heavens, that is,

The Sun and Moon were considered the rulers of two groups of the other planets, in accordance with the doctrine of astrology of sect: diurnal (or daytime) planets, which were ruled by the Sun, and nocturnal (or nighttime) planets, which were ruled by the Moon.

The Sun was also the sect ruler—or the luminary of sect for all charts of events and individuals born in the daytime, when the Sun was over the horizon; and the Moon was the sect ruler or luminary of sect for night charts, when the Sun was below the horizon.

Ancient astrologers divided all astrological factors into day and night groups: essential dignities, Arabian Parts (or "Lots") and all planetary characteristics. Even each of the Starry planets themselves "belonged" to one luminary or the other. The luminary "in charge" of any given chart was called the luminary of sect. (See sect.)

The luminaries can be found in the Bible:

And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:16-18, King James Version) In modern Western astrology, the importance of the Moon and the Sun has even come to outweigh all the other celestial factors in the interpretation of chart data. In Hindu astrology, the Moon (and the Ascendant) have that distinction.

• Elders (Admins)

It is very good! If you liked Luminary and either the book/film Into the Wild, you shouldn't miss Alone in the Wild from Channel 4, hopefully it will get a DVD release or repeats soon. I think you can watch it on the Channel 4 on demand website here:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/alone-in-the-wild/4od

Thanks for the info too!

Guest byron lomax

Absolutely loved this episode. It's such a change of pace and yet still feels exactly like Millennium. The scenery and music are simply breathtaking. The voiceover from the missing boy is touching and not in the least bit sentimental (when it easily could have been). The plot mirrors a lot of real-life instances of men abruptly leaving comfortable lives and well-paid jobs to spend the rest of their lives alone in the wilderness, in no more than an old caravan or a hut. Some of the new-agey philosophy was perhaps a bit aimless and wishy-washy but it added a personal touch to the boy and his desires to find his "true nature". And it effectively develops Frank's difficult relationship with the Millennium Group itself.

To me, "Luminary" is really moving, inspiring television; it gives me a similar feeling to the "Inner Light" episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation. I can't explain why exactly - it just does.