"borrowed Time" (3rd Season)

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

Guest The Black Lodge

I have to agree with 4th Horseman on this one. I watched this episode for the first time last night as (long story, but here's the jist of it) I only ever saw MillenniuM season one on SKY TV when it originally aired, and then we gave up our satellite connection. After that I caught the last 3 episodes on terrestrial TV about a year later by sheer chance. I believe season 3 never made it to terrestrial TV in the UK - I could be wrong of course, and just missed it. Either way, season 2's cliffhanger was just so shocking to me, and untilI managed to finally get the DVD set last year and work through them all sequentially (I'm currently on Season III/disc III with the next episode to watch being 'The Sounf of Snow' which looked interesting from the opening premise). So it was even more of a shock to watch the first episode and find that it had jumped forward a year or so, with little or no exposition. But i've gone with it regardless.

Personally speaking, I did enjoy the more esoteric nature of season II - but M&W have a lot to answer for in regard to weakening the show through comedic episodes like 'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defence' etc. The whole sinsiter angle did work, but I think they either lost grip of where they wanted to take it, or were simply not that bothered, which was a shame.

However, those gripes aside, I think Lance took what he could from that second series and applied it to Frank's character, making him look emotionally fragile, a man in turmoil, still struggling to come to terms with his loss.

'Borrowed Time' shows this perfectly - this is without doubt the best piece of acting I've seen him turn in. When he was pleading with God in that hospital room to spare Jordan's life it really got to me, so much so I actually cried a little! You could really feel for him, after seeing what he's been through the past few years.

Along with 'Luminary' and a few others I shall name at a later date, this is without doubt one of my most favourite MillenniuM episodes.

Brilliance.

I have to agree with 4th Horseman on this one. I watched this episode for the first time last night as (long story, but here's the jist of it) I only ever saw MillenniuM season one on SKY TV when it originally aired, and then we gave up our satellite connection. After that I caught the last 3 episodes on terrestrial TV about a year later by sheer chance. I believe season 3 never made it to terrestrial TV in the UK - I could be wrong of course, and just missed it. Either way, season 2's cliffhanger was just so shocking to me, and untilI managed to finally get the DVD set last year and work through them all sequentially (I'm currently on Season III/disc III with the next episode to watch being 'The Sounf of Snow' which looked interesting from the opening premise). So it was even more of a shock to watch the first episode and find that it had jumped forward a year or so, with little or no exposition. But i've gone with it regardless.

Personally speaking, I did enjoy the more esoteric nature of season II - but M&W have a lot to answer for in regard to weakening the show through comedic episodes like 'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defence' etc. The whole sinsiter angle did work, but I think they either lost grip of where they wanted to take it, or were simply not that bothered, which was a shame.

However, those gripes aside, I think Lance took what he could from that second series and applied it to Frank's character, making him look emotionally fragile, a man in turmoil, still struggling to come to terms with his loss.

'Borrowed Time' shows this perfectly - this is without doubt the best piece of acting I've seen him turn in. When he was pleading with God in that hospital room to spare Jordan's life it really got to me, so much so I actually cried a little! You could really feel for him, after seeing what he's been through the past few years.

Along with 'Luminary' and a few others I shall name at a later date, this is without doubt one of my most favourite MillenniuM episodes.

Brilliance.

Hello 'The Black Lodge' (LOVE the name! -- you absolutely MUST like 'Twin Peaks' then... :yes: ) Welcome to the Message Board here; I hope you enjoy it! Yes, there has indeed been a LOT of discussion about Season 2; you can have a lot of fun looking up some of the lively exchanges on this subject : ) I think you are right on both counts, M & W did stray from Chris Carter's original vision which did play some havoc with the overall storyline; they did come up with some of the most beautiful and imaginative stories though. Also it does seem that we did get to see a bit more of Frank's emotional side, much more so than in Season 1. 'Borrowed Time' was indeed a VERY powerful episode; you might wanna check some of the good posts concerning 'Luminary' too; it is the favorite of many here.

You know, before joining this board here, I felt the exact same way you do about the more comedic episodes that Morgan's brother wrote; I originally thought, 'Hey, this has nothing to do with the kick@ss show I've come to love!' However, I must say that after reading some of the fine discussion and comments from a number of these wonderful people here, I have honestly come to apprciate a number of these episodes much more than I had. These guys here have shown me a whole new way of looking at things:

4th Horseman has me yearning to see Lucy whipping Frank :WhipMeLucysaidFrank:

Joe has me looking for copies of 'The Flintbones' and 'Dickman & throbbin' :roedecker:

Modern Day Moriarity and Maxx have me completely confused :headhurts:

Fortunately The Old Man & Raven Wolf keep me on the Straight & Narrow :nahah:

Seriously though, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of MillenniuM is that way; because of the disparity between Seasons and due to episodes like these and others, I feel that a person has to enjoy certain episodes separately from the series and kind of 'suspend disbelief' in a sense when it comes to trying to integrate them into the 'whole' of the series. Otherwise you're either gonna go insane (far too late for some of us, sadly :yes: ) get really pissed off, or at the very least not be able to enjoy what really might be an excellent episode when viewed in and of itself.

LOL! Great post, as usual!

Thank you kindly sir, coming from you that means a lot :notworthy:

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar... :yes:

Hey, wait a minute... You're British!!!!! :fuyou_2:

: )