"anamnesis" (2nd Season)

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hey there Ed! How nice of you to find one of my very first posts here! And, better yet, someone that ACTUALLY feels that same way about the episode that I do! WOW!!!

As I had mentioned, to me personally, the song was TOTALLY right for the teaser; something about it just REALLY grabbed me. Others here have said, 'What was up with the song...? It had nothing to do with it. Or, 'The teaser really didn't fit the story...' NOT TO ME though! :nope: It had almost a magical quality that fit the mood PERFECTLY!!! But, like I've mentioned here before, ART is completely subjective; and what might send one person into orgasmic ecstacy (and I have NOT mentioned Japanese Schoolgirls anywhere!!! :nope:) may leave someone else completely cold... So, there you go...

Thanks again for the nice thoughts; have fun on the board!!!

LOL, even when you don't mention the Japanese school girls, you have to let us know they are constantly on your mind. I can just see you waking up in the morning and a light bulb going off as soon as you gain consciousness and the thoughts of the schoolgirls start to creep into your head. :rofl: As for Anamnesis, I need to watch it one more time. As I have mentioned before, I wasn't that crazy about it the first time around for various reasons, including Lance not having a big role (if any) in the episode. Then, when I got the season two DVDs, I gave it another chance and thought it wasn't terrible. Upon reading here that it was such a hit with some other posters, I gave it yet another try, and finally conceded that it wasn't too bad if watched with an open mind. For some reason it still doesn't stick in my head, so I have to watch it again soon. Who knows, maybe this time I will be able to say that I really liked it. Either way, it is a worthy effort, and I don't rate it among bombs like 13 Years and Human Essence. I think I finally gave it a 6.75 out of 10.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
to tell you the truth, i like MM over X-Files. Season Three had some awesome episodes but i thought the first two epis where awful. The ones lilke to watch over and over are: Through a Dark Glass............Borrowed Time.....Sound of Snow.........Anitpas...........Darwins Eye........Seven and One........Nostalgia........Goodbye to All That

One of my fav. scenes was Frank throwing a chair through Peters glass door in Goodbye.

Wow, that's almost eerie Joe. Of the episodes you mentioned, you just listed the exact same episodes that I like to watch often. I would think you and I were kindred spirits if not for the fact that I thought the first two episodes were OK and that I have to add "Skull and Bones" to my list of often watched favorites.

LOL, even when you don't mention the Japanese school girls, you have to let us know they are constantly on your mind. I can just see you waking up in the morning and a light bulb going off as soon as you gain consciousness and the thoughts of the schoolgirls start to creep into your head. :rofl: As for Anamnesis, I need to watch it one more time. As I have mentioned before, I wasn't that crazy about it the first time around for various reasons, including Lance not having a big role (if any) in the episode. Then, when I got the season two DVDs, I gave it another chance and thought it wasn't terrible. Upon reading here that it was such a hit with some other posters, I gave it yet another try, and finally conceded that it wasn't too bad if watched with an open mind. For some reason it still doesn't stick in my head, so I have to watch it again soon. Who knows, maybe this time I will be able to say that I really liked it. Either way, it is a worthy effort, and I don't rate it among bombs like 13 Years and Human Essence. I think I finally gave it a 6.75 out of 10.

Now, now my friend, don't ASSume... :nahah:

I appreciate you're really trying to be open minded about the episode; that's great! A lot of people wouldn't even try :nope: But, honestly I think this particular type of episode (sort of like Bardo Thodol, but in another way) really is EXTREMELY subjective as to whether it really does much for a person. Episodes based upon straight-forward suspense or story will please more people, but when they get into sort of 'arty' or emotional areas they are gonna leave some people cold and others they will really turn them on. Just a matter of what does it for you, not really so much whether the episode is objectively 'good' or 'bad'. Since Anamnesis is fairly unique in the MillenniuM canon there really is not much point of reference; of course that is the awesome thing about MillenniuM, is that it had so MANY unique episodes that it probably provided us with so many different types of shows along with it's main staple of 'Good' vs. Evil and serial killers.

A PERFECT example, at least as far as I'm concerned is Luminary; now, I've heard a LOT of people here say that this is just about their favorite episode or at least one of their favorites. There is something special about this episode that seems to resonate with a LOT of people here. But, for me, although I do like the episode and would give it a strong rating (probably higher than you gave Anamnesis) It really doesn't do a whole lot for me emotionally, whereas I can see intellectually why it does for others and I honestly do appreciate that. There seems to be kind of a transcendent philosophical quality to it that a lot of people here relate to, but to me personally, the emotional high and mood of Anamnesis just REALLY does it for me big time. Less realistic substance for most people to grab onto but more of a fantasiful religious mood. Like I've mentioned in the past, it's exactly like how two people will look at a painting and one person will be greatly moved and the other will not. Not even a matter of taste, really, just what happens to resonate with what person, that's all.

Guest ein042

Not sure why this episode, along with Luminary, left such a deep impression and stayed with me long after the series was cancelled.

Anamnesis certainly challenged church dogma about Mary Magdalene long before ‘the DaVinci Code’. At least it was my introduction to this theory. I realize now that this has been a subject written about quite a bit, but nevertheless a courageous move on the part of the producers who wove it so successfully into the Millennium group‘s domain.

Using Catherine as an objective observer in this obviously spiritual episode was straight on, IMO. Pairing Frank & Lara, who would be distinctly biased where visions were concerned and wouldn’t achieve the touch of reality that Catherine brings.

The Alpha and the Omega that Clare recites in her altered state and weaves into her dialogue with Catherine regarding her abduction, ( as anamnesis literally means ‘remembrance of things past’) is particularly effective. Recalling the Polaroid Man’s conviction that he would not die for God - but that Frank would.

The Ouroboros, The Beginning & the End, Clare playing with her bracelet - the circle, the merry-go-round where Catherine actually sees Clare bathed in a bright light. Is this Catherine being illuminated to these symbols?

I doubt this hasn’t been discussed before and I beg pardon if I’ve repeated another members thoughts but this might involve one of those archetypal truths Jung talked about.

I was looking on Wilki for Ouroboros and came across Cryptomnesia

"The ability to reach a rich vein of such material [of the unconscious] and to translate it effectively into philosophy, literature, music or scientific discovery is one of the hallmarks of what is commonly called genius." ---Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols.”

Not for me but for Erin Maher & Kay Reindl.

and maybe even for Dan Brown.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Now, now my friend, don't ASSume... :nahah:

A PERFECT example, at least as far as I'm concerned is Luminary; now, I've heard a LOT of people here say that this is just about their favorite episode or at least one of their favorites. There is something special about this episode that seems to resonate with a LOT of people here. But, for me, although I do like the episode and would give it a strong rating (probably higher than you gave Anamnesis) It really doesn't do a whole lot for me emotionally, whereas I can see intellectually why it does for others and I honestly do appreciate that. There seems to be kind of a transcendent philosophical quality to it that a lot of people here relate to, but to me personally, the emotional high and mood of Anamnesis just REALLY does it for me big time. Less realistic substance for most people to grab onto but more of a fantasiful religious mood. Like I've mentioned in the past, it's exactly like how two people will look at a painting and one person will be greatly moved and the other will not. Not even a matter of taste, really, just what happens to resonate with what person, that's all.

Yes, I know what you are saying. There are a great many movies and a few episodes of this show and others that other people rave about, and although I can see how they skillfully done, they just don't get my juices flowing. And yes, I would give Luminary very high marks, it's a 5 star episode for sure (5 out of 5 that is).

Not sure why this episode, along with Luminary, left such a deep impression and stayed with me long after the series was cancelled.

Anamnesis certainly challenged church dogma about Mary Magdalene long before ‘the DaVinci Code’. At least it was my introduction to this theory. I realize now that this has been a subject written about quite a bit, but nevertheless a courageous move on the part of the producers who wove it so successfully into the Millennium group‘s domain.

Using Catherine as an objective observer in this obviously spiritual episode was straight on, IMO. Pairing Frank & Lara, who would be distinctly biased where visions were concerned and wouldn’t achieve the touch of reality that Catherine brings.

The Alpha and the Omega that Clare recites in her altered state and weaves into her dialogue with Catherine regarding her abduction, ( as anamnesis literally means ‘remembrance of things past’) is particularly effective. Recalling the Polaroid Man’s conviction that he would not die for God - but that Frank would.

The Ouroboros, The Beginning & the End, Clare playing with her bracelet - the circle, the merry-go-round where Catherine actually sees Clare bathed in a bright light. Is this Catherine being illuminated to these symbols?

I doubt this hasn’t been discussed before and I beg pardon if I’ve repeated another members thoughts but this might involve one of those archetypal truths Jung talked about.

I was looking on Wilki for Ouroboros and came across Cryptomnesia

Very beautifully said!!! No, I don't think anyone (since I've been here) has painted Anamnesis in such a lovely fashion. Nicely done! :yes:

Thanks :) I was glad you felt the same. an awesome episode.

Yes Ma'am, it's rather unique in the MillenniuM canon... :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
Slightly off-topic, but I recently heard U2's version of Dancing Barefoot. It's a great cover, and one which would have worked well in the episode. Don't get me wrong, I like the original, but if they were to go with this version I wouldn't complain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMyIaGkwExA...cing%20Barefoot

Hey, neat BTL! I'll check it out :yes: