Your opinion Of 'Harsh Realm'

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Don't get me wrong, the pilot was a good scene-setter. I would say go for it, even if you just rent it from Amazon or something.

I don't know...

"Carnivale"..., "Harsh Realm"... "GRAVY"!!!

There are some damn powerful forces at work here...!!! :devil:

• 5 months later...

whoo boy, i could talk about hr for a while.

i'd reccomend to almost anyone interested in MM to at least rent it. there is some very powerful tug of it on me that i cannot explain. while i do not rate the show itself as one of my top three (and not only because it was cancelled so quickly), there is something about the set-up and the mythology that i cannot let go of.

i occasionally write stories for basically every show i watch, though some come much easier than others. there were 9 episodes of HR and i have written or outlined at least 15 HR stories. i know proportions isn't the only way to explan how it affects me, but i think it is a decent example. in maybe a two day span i watched all 9 episodes on my tapes, and i have a 6 hour tape of one ep and a whole bunch of behind the scenes stuff. i recieved the dvd series for christmas whenever it first came out but i must shamefully admit that i have NOT watched a single dvd ep snice that time, out of fear that it would inspire waaaaaaaaaay too much.

there are many things i don't like about hr. i must admit i've never really paid too much attention to who's writing, directing, etc, but i agree with the above comments on the subject. i've often thought about it, and approach it this way in my stories, that if slightly refocused i think it could've been better. i think the division between 'mythology' eps and standalones was too great; i think santiago shouldn't have been a main character and florence should have; and if i completely had my way waters, inga, and the pilot would've been retooled a bit. as much as i love terry o'quinn the decision to make him a regular cheapens the show for me becasue, honestly, how many times can a newby to the realm get so close to santiago and not be able to kill him? i woud've liked a little less reliance on the real world, but still show information from it. i think the sophie story might have gotten old; how many times can she question the government ony to recieve lies and blank stares, or how many times can she visit the 'widow' of someone else lost in the realm. i think a connection between the two worlds, as in reunion, was an interesting idea, but i think sophie's story, of being alone and pregnant, might have deviated from the true essense of hr. she's tom's motivation, no doubt, and letters are ok, but i think she would've been appearing less and less (Though not gone) as time went by. i like the inclusion of waters, but again think he was overused. hr is not that small of a world. i would've like to know what else existed outside santiago's realm, because there was a lot of empty space on santiago's map of the (former) us. i know we would've gotten it in time, but i would like to know what CC et al had planned for the time between when the bomb went off and when hobbes entered the realm, other than a general succession of soldier-leaders and a descent into general lawlessness. i would really have liked to know more about florence, though i admit her mystery is one of the reasons she's sort of my favorite. that is why i'm dissappointed she wasn't a led; mainly because: where did she go? also, how did she and pinocchio know each other? in short, if it had been a more 'us vs the world/realm/santiago' story, with more information about the day-to-day struggles of living in the realm outside the fence, i'd ilke to think it may have had a chance. we had glimpses of these struggles in about every ep, but i still came away feeling life in hr was written a bit easier than it should've been.

- nothing, who's really got to stop rambling about things she loves that no one cares about, and get back to writing about african political systems, because she's getting graded on it.

• 1 month later...
Guest udobald

I bought and watched the DVD box in the beginning of 2006. I remember I was very disappointed that the character played by the awesome Terry O'Quinn, the main villain general Santiago, was very underused. All episodes were watchable but few were memorable.

• 4 months later...
Guest Laurent.

In my opinion, 4 out of 9 episodes were "memorable". I really loved the four episodes by Chris Carter and the one by John Shiban (Manus Domini). 4/9 is a great average and out of the remaining five there were a few good ones! And considering the writers that were going to join the show... I don't think quality writing would have been a concerned for Harsh Realm future.

• Elders (Admins)

Yeah I miss that guy. I'm hoping to see Harsh Realm again soon, I'm not which episode it was now but the WWII one was excellent. I wish Sarah-Jane Redmond's character had had the chance to develop further too, I just couldn't get her intentions and I'm sure they were leading up to something.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

Sarah-Jane Redmond's Inga Fossa was (along with Terry O'Quinn's Santiago) the best character of the series. She was to Harsh Realm what Krychek was to X-Files and a lot more. Just to know where her allegiance lied was mind-boggling. She was the only channel between the real world and the Realm for Hobbes, and she sure had an agenda of hew own, so who knows what she would have done with her power. Even her name was mysterious (Fossa; Latin, ditch, from feminine past participle of fodere, to dig and Inga; Inga is in reference to scandinavian germanic god Ing, protector of feminine fertility, promise of prosperity and peace.)

I'm sure she would have been of huge importance in the mythology. Speaking of mythology (I know I probably talked about it in another thread but it just makes me even more nostalgic of what never was if that's possible), did you know Carter intended Harsh Realm to become a modern version of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey put together? An epic story taking place in the real world and a fictional one. He had plans to move the mythology all over the world. For exemple, I remember reading somewhere that the second season would have taken place in Latin America (in the Realm). Carter was also bringing science-fiction writer William Gibson on board, along with Darin Morgan. It would have been an amazingly entertaining and engrossing series.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CJ450

I picked up the boxed set last week and have been watching and rewatching since.

i thought it was a great show and at least deserved a fair run..maybe 22 episodes to develop the characters.

General Santiago , inga fossa and Mike pinochio were great characters.

I was curious -how do you think the characters and the show would have developed further?

i will have to get the- "one people,one nation,one Santiago" -as a screen saver it would look great!!

Guest Laurent.
I was curious -how do you think the characters and the show would have developed further?

It would have been REALLY interesting to see the development of Inga Fossa and Pinocchio (two characters with so much potential) but it's impossible to guess what direction would have taken with them. Inga Fossa seemed to have her own agenda since she was lying to pretty much every other characters.

I wonder how 1013 could have handle Scott "Hobbes" Bairstow's problems with justice if the show had gone on. The show was centered on him after all, especially with all the "chosen one" legends in the Realm.

Bairstow's problems:

Actor pleads not guilty...

Actor sentenced to four months

Guest ZeusFaber

Well, had the show been successful, it could have run to five seasons by then, so I don't think it would have been a problem.