Season 3 Trivia And References

Rate this topic

Give that man a rep point folks. :thumbsup:

I haven't had the chance to verify the scene in question but I have no doubt it is as you say it is. Bloopers and continuity errors are not uncommon in Millennium and after watching the episodes so many times people still find ones that even the old-timers haven't spotted.

Can't wait to see this later!

Eth

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Give that man a rep point folks. :thumbsup:

I haven't had the chance to verify the scene in question but I have no doubt it is as you say it is. Bloopers and continuity errors are not uncommon in Millennium and after watching the episodes so many times people still find ones that even the old-timers haven't spotted.

Can't wait to see this later!

Eth

Hey! Many Thanks for the rep point, Eth!

Although I would have to say that MM is fairly good at the onerous job of Continuity Direction (as a career IATSE Stagehand, I've definitely heard my share of CDs groaning about their thankless tasks :)

And while the Art Direction on MM is just superb, I do have a small beef with them for the overuse of what I've come to think of as MM-Green, usually found in scenes associated with suspect's dwellings, crime scenes, or other melancholic sets. I feel this green was used far too often, especially in season 1. Please have a look, I'd love a second opinion, and to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Thanks again!

~Theo

Really? MM-Green? Now that's a very astute observation. I will have to check it out. I know Jared once wrote a superb piece that discussed how colour is used to convey mood and emotion in terms of the selections made for costumes. I know the same is true of the colour used in the sets and lighting. Would anyone happen to know what the repeated use of green in the situations described was intended to convey? I always assumed green was a calming colour, I know it's certainly used in clinical settings for that reason. I guess it could have been because it defuses mood a little that it allowed the scenes to be, as Theo states, melancholy.

Can you recommend an episode where this is particularly evident?

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

I can see what you mean, Theo, in "Closure". There is very noticeable "broken glass" on the ground all along the left side of the bus (as seen from the top of the jail building), but when the bus reverses (seen via a very low-level camera angle) there are only a few bits of what could be glass on the ground.

Presumably this was a second-unit shot and they forgot the glass.

post-118-013925000 1277649282_thumb.jpg

post-118-093454900 1277649303_thumb.jpg

Guest Theo Hiswrae

I can see what you mean, Theo, in "Closure". There is very noticeable "broken glass" on the ground all along the left side of the bus (as seen from the top of the jail building), but when the bus reverses (seen via a very low-level camera angle) there are only a few bits of what could be glass on the ground.

Presumably this was a second-unit shot and they forgot the glass.

post-118-013925000 1277649282_thumb.jpg

post-118-093454900 1277649303_thumb.jpg

Hi Libby, I appreciate your work at TIWWA, it's a pleasure to finally meet you.

Thanks for looking into this so quickly. When I saw the still shots I had a moment of doh.gif"Now why didn't I think of that." It's a useful tool. (Perhaps I can use it to verify my MM Green theory)

I agree that it was likely a 2nd Unit set dresser who dropped the ball. However, it's a small detail, and 1013 is usually very good about such things, which I feel is part of why we love them so much.

Thanks Again!

Theo

• Elders (Moderators)

You're welcome. As I'm not a naturally visual person, I like eagle-eyed people who spot things I wouldn't otherwise see.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the colours used in filming Millennium. I recall a comment by Dean Haglund about his first visit to the XF set, where he assumed that the lighting still had to be set up because the set was much darker than he had ever seen before. I have watched other TV shows where they tried to emulate the mood and tone of XF, and with some it seemed that they thought they could just switch off the lights.

There is a website with screen caps of XF and MM - I don't know whether you've heard of it: https://www.chrisnu.com/ - that might be useful for a quick look through.