Marantha

Rate this topic

Guest vieza_card

Guest vieza_card

I was recently watching a collection of my favourite Millennium episodes and just finished Marantha. There's a scene involving Yura and the undercover policeman for Brighton Beach sitting in a Russian Club. For entertainment, a blonde in a blue sparkly dress is singing one.. maybe two songs. The first set of lyrics is in Russian and the next section we're able to hear is english:

"Your dark eyes.. how they tantalize.."

Does anyone know the name of the song.. or anything about it? I've tried googling the lyrics but all I get are Millennium sites LOL.

If anyone could shed light on this.. I'd be really appreciative. :helpme:

• Elders (Admins)

Found some lyrics to that song:

Dark Eyes

( Red Army Choir version )

Dark eyes, burning eyes

Frightful and beautiful eyes

I love you so, I fear you so

For sure I've seen you at a sinister hour

Dark eyes, flaming eyes

They implore me into faraway lands

Where love reigns, where peace reigns

Where there is no suffering, where war is forbidden

Dark eyes, burning eyes

Without meeting you, I wouldn't be suffering so

I would have lived my life smiling

You have ruined me, dark eyes

You have taken my happiness forever away

Dark eyes, burning eyes

Source: https://dime32.dizinc.com/~russmus/bands-traditional.htm

Wellcome to the Group. We will get to the "responsibility of the responsibility" later. :wink:

For now, let me say that I love questions that inspire discussions like this about "little known, seldom used" 1013 attempts at atmosphere and making a reference of some sort. I think if you read the lyrics, you can see a sort of reference both to Yaponchik and to Frank Black as well. It never actually occured to me to research this song, for some reason. I suppose there is just so much interesting, and unintentionally funny stuff going on in this episode that it slipped by me.

And speaking of unintentionally funny, the performance of the song itself in the scene in question is actually pretty much way over acted and way over the top! I mean, could you get anymore stereotypical in portrayal of a Russian night club performer in an ethnic club?!!! LOL! This is just one element of many in this episode that is extremely unintentially funny. I have pointed out many of the other "unintentionals" in a thread in the humour forum of this message board, if you want to check it out. I think I entitled the thread "Maranat-ha-ha".

BTW, love the screen name! LOL! Goes perfectly with your avatar! Very fitting for a SoFla! Love it! I like your style, viesa! Are you everywhere you want to be?!

• Elders (Moderators)
And speaking of unintentionally funny, the performance of the song itself in the scene in question is actually pretty much way over acted and way over the top! I mean, could you get anymore stereotypical in portrayal of a Russian night club performer in an ethnic club?!!!

And it's a pity that the amusingly stereotyped manifestation of a Russian woman sings so out of tune - it's actually a beautiful song! :furious::cry:

As a sidenote: I wonder if I'm the only one here who thinks that Yaponchik is hot.. :makingeyes: