Midnight Of The Century

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I have kind of put Millennium on the shelf recently, but as I have probably mentioned many times, one day, probably very soon, I will again get the urge to view the entire series from start to finish. I am already feeling like I am about due to start at the beginning of S1 and view the episodes again after having discussed them here and with a fresh perspective on some of them. Last night, however, I was inspired by a recent thread about Lucy, and watched Antipas, which is a great episode for so many reasons in addition to Lucy's appearance. After I was finished, I was in the mood for another episode, so I revisited the masterpiece that is "Midnight of the Century".

Forgive me if I have mentioned this before, but having recently been stuck on season 3, I am really struck by the contrast between S3 and the other two seasons. Not to take anything away from S3, as I find myself liking it more and more and realizing that I haven't been giving it it's due these past years before watching it again this last year, but compared to S1 and S2, there is kind of a bleakness to it, and a longing for the old days, and an episode like "Midnight of the Century" really brings that out. "Midnight" was such a warm and cozy episode, and it seems really weird, after S3 to go back and watch it again. At that point, Frank and Catherine were separated, but there was still hope for them to work things out and for the family to hold together. Right off the bat, S3 hits us with the death of Catherine. I realize that S2 left her character in some pretty dire circumstances, but it is TV, and somehow I thought she would pull through. After S3 it is also weird to go back and see Roedecker. I never did see why they wrote him off the show. I mean, he was a great character and added some humor to the show, and it's not like he was demanding a huge contract that the show could not afford. And, of course, the episode brings us back to a period before Frank is really starting to pull away from the group. At this point, Peter is still a friend, and of course, we still have the presence of the lovely Lara Means. As great as S3 is, it kind of feels like the aftermath. Like Frank's world has come crumbling down around him. But, then again, I think this was the intention of the writers. It's kind of fun to see the transformation that Frank's character goes through in S3 and to see the kind of raw emotion he showsin episodes like "Anitpas" when Lucy's lawyer says he is "Like a wild animal". He also has that edgyness throughout S3 and seems more grizzled, right down to the gray hair that was still black throughout S1 and S2. As much as I loved the controlled, focused Frank, you have to think that the circumstances at the end of S2 and would have been enough to send anyone over the edge, and the "new" Frank only added to my enjoyment of S3. Anyway, this post has turned into more of a post about S3 than "Midnight of the Century", but like I have said many times,when I look at the episode list on S3, I realize just how good it was. As for "Midnight of the Century", it just has so many great moments and is so touching, that it's impossible to touch on all of them. I love the scene with Frank, Lara and Peter, in Peter's den and the dialogue, the Roedecker scene where he gives him the giga pet, the mysterious "garden visitor" who speaks to Frank and then vanishes, the scenes between the young Frank and his Mom, and the present Frank and his dad and so on. The episode also captures the Christmas spirit and mood so well. Oh, and did I mention the scenes with Frank and Lara. That episode is as good as Millennium gets, and as good as TV gets. It's kind of a shame that this show seemed to be made for the rare TV viewer who wanted some real substance and intelligence, and to provoke thought, yet that was the shows downfall as well. These types of viewers are so few and far between that they can't keep up the ratings, and therefore, these shows can't survive because they are not profitable enough. I really wish we had just another couple of years of this show to enjoy.

After S3 it is also weird to go back and see Roedecker. I never did see why they wrote him off the show.

M - Roedecker's character was killed because Allan Zinyk wanted to branch out into other venues, (theatre, etc) -

you are so right about MOTC - i have always felt this is the one nearly "perfect" episode...has those issues in life we need, redemption, compassion, and a sense of family....

4th Horseman

Guest betweenthelines
M - Roedecker's character was killed because Allan Zinyk wanted to branch out into other venues, (theatre, etc)

I think Roedecker was fired from the Millennium Group, not killed. Why he got fired TPTB never bothered to explain :nope:.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
After S3 it is also weird to go back and see Roedecker. I never did see why they wrote him off the show.

M - Roedecker's character was killed because Allan Zinyk wanted to branch out into other venues, (theatre, etc) -

you are so right about MOTC - i have always felt this is the one nearly "perfect" episode...has those issues in life we need, redemption, compassion, and a sense of family....

4th Horseman

Ohh, OK, what you say makes sense about Roedecker. Like I was saying, he was pretty well liked by fans and wasn't demanding a huge salary or anything like that. That leaves the possibilty that Allan Zinyk wanting out for some reason. I viewed his filmography and noticed that he has really done nothing sense Millennium, so I dismissed that as a probibility. However, if he branched out into theatre, that kind of thing would not have showed up on his filmography. Oh well, at least we see him from time to time on DVD. He is in at least two of the best episoded, the Mikado and Midnight, just off the top of my head, so you can't miss him. The introduction of characters like Emma and McClarin, and in a way Barry Baldwin kind of make up for some of the characters we lost in S3.

Ohh, OK, what you say makes sense about Roedecker. Like I was saying, he was pretty well liked by fans and wasn't demanding a huge salary or anything like that. That leaves the possibilty that Allan Zinyk wanting out for some reason. I viewed his filmography and noticed that he has really done nothing sense Millennium, so I dismissed that as a probibility. However, if he branched out into theatre, that kind of thing would not have showed up on his filmography. Oh well, at least we see him from time to time on DVD. He is in at least two of the best episoded, the Mikado and Midnight, just off the top of my head, so you can't miss him. The introduction of characters like Emma and McClarin, and in a way Barry Baldwin kind of make up for some of the characters we lost in S3.
M - sorry, i did not mean that they "literally" killed the character, only that they had no further use for his character due to Allan's committment to other venues that interested him...

4th Horseman..

M - sorry, i did not mean that they "literally" killed the character, only that they had no further use for his character due to Allan's committment to other venues that interested him...

4th Horseman..

• 4 months later...
Guest pureaddiction

I'm not exactly sure why he wanted out but he does a whole lot of theatre around Vancouver. Right now he's working at Bard On The Beach. I've seen quite a few of his shows and he's still as awesome as he was as Roedecker. He lists his credits in the Program but I'm lazy and here is a faboulous site that the Univeristy of Victoria put up with some of his Bard credits.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I'm not exactly sure why he wanted out but he does a whole lot of theatre around Vancouver. Right now he's working at Bard On The Beach. I've seen quite a few of his shows and he's still as awesome as he was as Roedecker. He lists his credits in the Program but I'm lazy and here is a faboulous site that the Univeristy of Victoria put up with some of his Bard credits.

I guess some people just have that bug to do theatre work. It would be interesting to see some of his work, but I don't think I will be getting out to Vancouver any time soon. :oneeyedwinK It would really be fun to see him in a serious dramatic role.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
I guess some people just have that bug to do theatre work. It would be interesting to see some of his work, but I don't think I will be getting out to Vancouver any time soon. :oneeyedwinK It would really be fun to see him in a serious dramatic role.

Ah, yet another tempting reason to visit Vancouver :wink:

Since I live here in California I've always wanted to plan a trip up the coast through Carmel, Washington State, and up into Canada into Vancouver and Victoria. I have MANY friends here who have done that including my cousin, and they say it's VERY beautiful. So, if our friend is up there acting away, what a great reason to run up there too! :yes:

You've really got me going here with this episode MIB! I feel like such a schlep every time you guys really go into an episode because it has been so DANG long since I've seen the show (I'm up to about 1/2 way through Season 5 of the X-Files so far...) I don't have anything really specific to contribute yet.

But, SOON... I'm gonna get aroung to this unique and wonderful show that is the WHOLE premise of this lovely website, BTW!!! :wtf: So, I'd better get my @ss moving! :yes:

Guest Frank L.

L@the, my friend, thanks for letting me live. Right now my clock here next to me says 10:13 and it's good to be alive.

I have the same 'problem' you have. I'm currently at the first episode of the sixth season of TXF. Haven't seen MM in a while. But the darker days are coming, rain and cold weather, and that's perfect for MillenniuM.

L@the, my friend, thanks for letting me live. Right now my clock here next to me says 10:13 and it's good to be alive.

I have the same 'problem' you have. I'm currently at the first episode of the sixth season of TXF. Haven't seen MM in a while. But the darker days are coming, rain and cold weather, and that's perfect for MillenniuM.

LOH - you need to get out of Southern California...here is what i would do...go north my good friend, thru Oregon, to Washington. Go to Seattle and go up the Space Needle, go down to the shops on the water, (take the monorail from the Needle to get there)...go up to Anacortes and take the ferry over to one of the many islands that make up the San Juan Islands, my favorite being Friday Harbor...its close to Vancouver B.C, etc...here is a link for you...

www.guidetosanjuans.com

4th Horseman...