Midnight Of The Century

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest pureaddiction
I guess some people just have that bug to do theatre work. It would be interesting to see some of his work, but I don't think I will be getting out to Vancouver any time soon. :oneeyedwinK It would really be fun to see him in a serious dramatic role.

It's addictive to be there and watch everyone stand and appalud for you. Amazing :D He is pretty fab but actually does alot of comedic work and is hailed as "one of Vancouver's finest comedic talents." For the seasons I've been on the scene he's only done maybe 2 dramtic-y roles. One was The Matka King and playing Pyotr Petrovich Luzhin in the musical version of Crime and Punishment..

Ah, yet another tempting reason to visit Vancouver :wink:

Since I live here in California I've always wanted to plan a trip up the coast through Carmel, Washington State, and up into Canada into Vancouver and Victoria. I have MANY friends here who have done that including my cousin, and they say it's VERY beautiful. So, if our friend is up there acting away, what a great reason to run up there too! :yes:

Pretty beautiful city if I do say myself. I can't see myself living anywhere but here. Well if you plan on seeing him up here you should make sure he's in town doing something :bigsmile: He's taking off to do someshows up North then to Shaghai for a bit I believe.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
It's addictive to be there and watch everyone stand and appalud for you. Amazing :D He is pretty fab but actually does alot of comedic work and is hailed as "one of Vancouver's finest comedic talents." For the seasons I've been on the scene he's only done maybe 2 dramtic-y roles. One was The Matka King and playing Pyotr Petrovich Luzhin in the musical version of Crime and Punishment..

Pretty beautiful city if I do say myself. I can't see myself living anywhere but here. Well if you plan on seeing him up here you should make sure he's in town doing something :bigsmile: He's taking off to do someshows up North then to Shaghai for a bit I believe.

Holy cow, a musical??? Did Allan do any singing? I can see him in the comedies, but as mentioned, I would pay the price of admission to see him in a serious dramatic role.

Guest pureaddiction
Holy cow, a musical??? Did Allan do any singing? I can see him in the comedies, but as mentioned, I would pay the price of admission to see him in a serious dramatic role.

Yes he did, no solos for that one though. He has a decent voice and sounds pretty damn good. And I'm with you on that one

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes he did, no solos for that one though. He has a decent voice and sounds pretty damn good. And I'm with you on that one

Somehow I just can't grasp Roedecker as having a good voice, but I'll take your word for it. All I can think of is Roedecker singing in the shower and being horrendous.

Guest pureaddiction
Somehow I just can't grasp Roedecker as having a good voice, but I'll take your word for it. All I can think of is Roedecker singing in the shower and being horrendous.

He's played at that and it is hilarious. That was my first thought when I saw him as well until I actually heard him sing somewheres and I was quite surprised.

Comedy wise if you wanted to see one of his best performances it would be the Number 14 which shows how versatile he is. They whole crew takes on about 60 different persons throughout and it's fantastic.

• 1 month later...
Guest F_Black

Say, a bit off topic, but it relates to characters leaving: Did Megan Gallagher leave the show for any particular reason? I'd heard it was because she wanted to work in London or something like that. But I also have some tweak of a memory that she wanted out because she didn't think her character was doing much of anything.

• 8 months later...

Just finished watching Midnight of the Century for the first time and I agree that it is an excellent episode well rounded and features some great character development. It also touched me on a personal level due to the fact that I lost my Dad on Christmas Eve some years ago and there have been some fractures within my family. So a lot of parallels that struck emotional chords.

I must say that it was good to have such a strong episode after Jose Chung – I did not enjoy that episode, I guess because it was straight after the Hand of St Sebastian that built to such a high level and then to have a self-parody episode it just “clanged” in my mind. I’m sure taken on its own it is a cleaver piece of writing, but for me it was like an unpleasant diversion.

However the MOTC took me right back into the MM world. I think that Lance really took the character through a huge range and did so masterly. I think Darren McGavin also played an excellent role and a very believable father to Frank. Because Lance has such an interesting face that plays older than what it is, they needed to find someone also with strong features that could make the relationship work visually. Hence Darren was a great choice.

It was also good to have confirmed that Jordan’s “gift” is developing and the reaction to that by Catherine who obviously wishes it would go away.

In the final scenes with Frank and Jordan at the church gate are reminiscent of the final scenes in S1 Lamentations on the snow covered mountain a real father – daughter bonding moment.

Guest Laurent.
In the final scenes with Frank and Jordan at the church gate are reminiscent of the final scenes in S1 Lamentations on the snow covered mountain a real father – daughter bonding moment.

Good point. There never was that much moment between Frank and Jordan alone so that you could feel the bond between them. A bond that is only made stronger by this ability (or gift) that they share.

I also remember one in the end of Sacrament when Frank takes Jordan away at the very end when Helen and Frank's brother dropped by the yellow house. In fact, this was the first episode to clearly state that Jordan also had some kind of ability.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Just finished watching Midnight of the Century for the first time and I agree that it is an excellent episode well rounded and features some great character development. It also touched me on a personal level due to the fact that I lost my Dad on Christmas Eve some years ago and there have been some fractures within my family. So a lot of parallels that struck emotional chords.

I must say that it was good to have such a strong episode after Jose Chung – I did not enjoy that episode, I guess because it was straight after the Hand of St Sebastian that built to such a high level and then to have a self-parody episode it just “clanged” in my mind. I’m sure taken on its own it is a cleaver piece of writing, but for me it was like an unpleasant diversion.

However the MOTC took me right back into the MM world. I think that Lance really took the character through a huge range and did so masterly. I think Darren McGavin also played an excellent role and a very believable father to Frank. Because Lance has such an interesting face that plays older than what it is, they needed to find someone also with strong features that could make the relationship work visually. Hence Darren was a great choice.

It was also good to have confirmed that Jordan’s “gift” is developing and the reaction to that by Catherine who obviously wishes it would go away.

I understand what you are saying about "Jose Chung". At this stage, I consider it one of the very best episodes, and I have watched it many many times. I would go as far as to use words like brilliant and genius. However, I have to confess that, when I first watched it, I was thrown for a loop, and it took me a while to adjust to it. Like you, I tuned in every week craving a certain Millenniumistic atmosphere, such as we find in the Pilot and Gehenna, and so on, so episodes like 13 Years Later and such were frustrating. I can say, however, that I have really come to love "Jose Chung" and "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me". 13 Years later is a different story :puke: I'm still not a big fan of that one. I guess I could also include "Omerta" as a real departure from the usual Millennium, and I have come to love that episode as well.

By the way, I think that stretch of "St. Sebastian" through "Midnight" is one of the best 3 episode stretches of he entire series. As I have mentioned many times, season two is my personal favorite, and not only is the stretch of episodes, starting with "Curse of Frank Black" and running through "Siren", almost the exact middle of the series, it is also, in my opinion, the peak of the series. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy it before and after this stretch. I really did thoroughly enjoy the series from start to finish.

I understand what you are saying about "Jose Chung". At this stage, I consider it one of the very best episodes, and I have watched it many many times. I would go as far as to use words like brilliant and genius. However, I have to confess that, when I first watched it, I was thrown for a loop, and it took me a while to adjust to it. Like you, I tuned in every week craving a certain Millenniumistic atmosphere, such as we find in the Pilot and Gehenna, and so on, so episodes like 13 Years Later and such were frustrating. I can say, however, that I have really come to love "Jose Chung" and "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me".

That is interesting as I saw "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" as the first and really the only episode that I caught when the series first went to air and as a stand alone episode it stuck with me all these years. Now I see that it too is a departure from the "norm" and yet added a richness.

I didn't pan Jose Chung because so many of your comments and others on the board hold it in high regard and so on reflection I knew that it had to be the context that I was viewing it in. I will re-visit it again after I finish the remainder of the episodes.

The quality of the episodes in this part of the season are fantastic and are augmented with the high production values that go into each episode. They really do have more of a film feel to them rather than a TV series.