Midnight Of The Century

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

With all due respect to posters there is absolutely nothing in the narrative to support an assertion that Catherine took the decision she took based on the financial viability of Frank Black. To assert that women are content with infidelity as long as they are provided with financial resources is bordering on misogynistic in my view. I have long argued that the narrative gives much credence to Catherine's, albeit unpopular, stance and whilst it easy to ingnore the profundity of her experiences and blame her conduct on some intrinsic failing inherent in women it is more interesting, in my opinion, to afford the feelings of a female character the same weight and brevity we afford the male characters.

Frank spent an entire Season obfuscating his life from his little woman the results of which were the near murder of his wife after a period of physical and psychological torment. Given the realisation that the Millennium Group and Frank's involvement in it exposed not only herself but her daughter to a risk Frank had never warned her of she removed herself and her daughter from that risk and demanded answers and a promise that such an eventuality would never happen again. Given the sure and certain premise that the writers portrayed Catherine's actions as an accurate depiction of a frightened Mother suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder it is somewhat missing the point, in my view, to denigrate her actions as the selfish, callous reactions of a woman behaving as all women do.

Catherine Black in her suffering deserves as much respect as Frank in his and choosing to view her as the little woman who should have seen it all coming does not do the character justice.

Best wishes,

Eth

i still think Catherine treated him like Doo-Doo. I tend to think that she gets unraveled and loses sight of Franks intentions of keeping the family safe. I actually like the problems that they have together because it makes this marvelous series real.

I can relate because at times my wife and dissagree on things but we have never got to the point of seperation. I think when Chris Carter wrote her character he was thinking of a strong woman that could carry herself alone if something was to happen to Frank but as we notice there where times in which she needed him as an anchor. Just my thoughts

I overgeneralized about women and money, but there is a basic truth about women needing security from men. And like all things it can be corrupted by our selfishness. I do know women that let their husband do whatever he wants, because they are very "well kept" otherwise; sad but true.

I recall hoping that Laura and Frank would hook up, and now I see why; Catherine was too hard on Frank and didn't support him for who he was.

I overgeneralized about women and money, but there is a basic truth about women needing security from men. And like all things it can be corrupted by our selfishness. I do know women that let their husband do whatever he wants, because they are very "well kept" otherwise; sad but true.

I recall hoping that Laura and Frank would hook up, and now I see why; Catherine was too hard on Frank and didn't support him for who he was.

i know some of you all will laugh when i say this but, before i was married there where several young women that loved my presence due to me being a big guy. I have a big frame but i am only 6'0. I use to lift weights and train to strengthn my legs, shoulders and neck. Now-a-days i look like a retired NFL player.

I know what you all might be thinking, i am not a gigilio. I remember my wife telling she felt safe in may arms. For me its a ego booster. I am happy to be that security for her

i know some of you all will laugh when i say this but, before i was married there where several young women that loved my presence due to me being a big guy. I have a big frame but i am only 6'0. I use to lift weights and train to strengthn my legs, shoulders and neck. Now-a-days i look like a retired NFL player.

I know what you all might be thinking, i am not a gigilio. I remember my wife telling she felt safe in may arms. For me its a ego booster. I am happy to be that security for her

OK...we seem to be getting off the topic here...this has been discussed at length before, but i dont believe that Catherine is getting on with her life by establishing new relationships at all. I dont think that concept remotely parallels with the series and the relationship between Catherine and Frank...its a bit early dont you think to knowingly be seen with another man just to prove to Frank you are "moving on"?? I dont think that fits in with Catherine's character at all.

4th Horseman

OK...we seem to be getting off the topic here...this has been discussed at length before, but i dont believe that Catherine is getting on with her life by establishing new relationships at all. I dont think that concept remotely parallels with the series and the relationship between Catherine and Frank...its a bit early dont you think to knowingly be seen with another man just to prove to Frank you are "moving on"?? I dont think that fits in with Catherine's character at all.

4th Horseman

hey i was just saying that Frank and I are great relationship anchors. He has the good looks, i have the brawn

Guest charlie98210

4th Horseman

I don't think anyone (else) said she was trying to prove to Frank that she was moving on.

I was just commenting on the non-verbal acting cues and thought that Frank was acting a little angry and (perhaps) jealous. Heck, he was pretty much angry throughout that whole episode.

• 4 years later...
Guest Ghostmojo

What was sad and somehow inexplicable was FB's father passing up the opportunity to come and see Jordan at the church nativity play. After all that setting up of the plot to create the moment when father and son finally connect, and resolve their long-running issues, and FB gives him the photo of his granddaughter - to then have a denouement which skips the three generations coming together strikes me as odd. This is often the case with MM - that there isn't an expected payoff for the audience. You might argue that this is a good thing, because it avoids over-sentimentality and maudlin endings; but I would argue it was perhaps one of the reasons that led to a decline in viewing figures.

MM asks a lot of its audience. It's like the rock artist or band that starts putting out inaccessible albums. For a while the fans keep shelling out, but eventually they vote with their feet.

So in the final sequence are we seeing ghosts? And if Frank's father supposed to be one of them? How can that be? We hear Catherine state in a later episode that Jordan and FB's father - her grandfather - have been spending time together (although we never see this). And then later still we learn of his passing. I know some shows were shown out of sequence but surely that doesn't account for this? Did it have anything to do with Darren McGavin's failing health (as happened during filming of XF's classic The Unnatural episode)? Having said that - his emphatically declining spoken lines were already filmed ...

It puzzle me - that one does ...

Ghostmojo, your insight amazes me. You see things I never thought of. Wow.

I always wondered why this episode ended the way it did, with Frank's father's ghost rather then just meeting them and ending the episode on a happier note, even though the ending was good. Do you remember which episode it is that Catherine says Jordan has been spending time with her grandfather?

• Elders (Moderators)

It wasn't ghosts that Frank was seeing, rather "fetches" - souls of those destined to die in the coming year, so Frank's father was still alive at that point.

I guess it would have been impossible for Frank and Catherine to have had their discussion about Frank's gift if Frank's father had been there.