The Time is Now!

Rate this topic

The first time I saw this episode, and saw the visions/hallucinations/break with reality that Lara had, I felt like I went thru it with her!  I remember it about wore me out!  I remember feeling relieved when it was finally over, but I could not turn away.  I also remember thinking how the choice of music and the images were reminicent of images and music in "Natural Born Killers".  I think there are a few moments throughout the series that resemble or are inspired by this film.  Was thinking about this, because I just decided to view "The Fourth Foursmen" and "The Time Is Now!" tonight/this morning to sort of finish off my own Memorial Day/Week Mini MillenniuM Marathon.

How were others effected by this scene when you first viewed it?  What do you think of it or anything else I mentioned here?

:hands4: Scott

....this will not surprise many of my fellow elders-(and remember folks,it's just my opinion here)- but...........i thought that sequence was the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as MM goes.  :thumbsdown_big:  to me it was a pathetic attempt to "fill air" when it was painfully obvious that M&W simply had nowhere else to go with MM and so decided to turn it into some ridiculous "fantasy" with no sense of coherance and or respect for what had come before in the MM-universe.

...the scene was about 7-minutes too long and it felt as if it would never end!!! for the first time,really,since MM aired i felt EMBARRASSED to be a MM-fan! the first timie i saw it i actually had to mute the damn TV :angry_steaming-big: !!  it was a BIG SLOPPY "THROWN-TOGETHER"-MESS!      

...i guess for me the only positive part of that whole "mess of a sequence" was that it fit in nicely with the  "whole mess of an episode".    AND IN SAYING ALL THE ABOVE I'M ACTUALLY HOLDING BACK QUITE A BIT ABOUT MY UTTER DISGUST AND CONTEMPT I HAVE TOWARDS THIS EP AND M&W'S TURNING MY BELOVED SHOW INTO A SHELL OF ITSELF,A PARODY,SOME KIND OF VERY UNFUNNY "JOKE". :ghostface:        

.........gag me with a pitchfork,

se7en :ouro:  :sorry-big:

• Elders (Moderators)

I think my reaction to that scene falls somewhere in between - I thought it was boring, I remember thinking when I first watched it "yeah, ok, I get the point". I fast-forward through that scene.

I gather that M&W wanted to do something along the lines of an MTV video but hadn't realised how much money and time that takes, so I guess what they produced wasn't quite what they wanted. Even so, I found it very out of place given the overall look of the show. I'm also not into that type of music, and feel that Mark Snow would have been able to produce something that I would have found a lot more satisfying and appropriate. But even then, it would have probably gone on too long.

Thank goodness the transcript for this episode has already been done (and done very well). I would not have liked to try and transcribe that scene, and probably wouldn't have done it very well.

Libby

• Elders (Admins)

Hhhm, I have to say I regard the scene completely different to Se7en in that I thought it was a very intense and emotional 7 minutes... I really liked the character of Lara Means and and I remember thinking the first time I watched it that it was a fitting way of showing what they thought the Apocalyspe would be like etc. At the time eveyone was turning their thoughts to the approaching Millennium and the media was making a right meal of it (remember how planes were supposed to be falling on us all on the 31st December?) . During Season Two I kept wondering what the conclusion of the show would be when the Millennium arrived and went. Lara's visions of the forthcoming apocalypse (?) and the way her breakdown and mental collapse was depicted was I thought quite original. I was unaware I was supposed to be comparing it an MTV video and I'm pleased about that. I think it worked well... and of course the choice of music was inspired too...

Gra. :ouro:

Guest Denno
Having just watched this episode last week, I remembered my feelings from the first time I saw it when it first aired.  I have to agree with Se7en here.  I remember sitting and watching it with my wife and both of us saying "Oh just get on with it".  The only thing I took away from that scene was the inference of Laura gaining telekinetic abilities from here ritual induction into the Millennium Group by the movement of the coffee cup across the table as she stared at it.  Other than that I remeber think to myself either I didn't do enough drugs when I was young to understand that scene or the writers did too many.  Oh well just my opinion for what its worth  :)

Guest Wellington

Hi

Someone here once said that it was some kind of tribute to the character of Means that she had a long and original final scene. As he/she said, it is far better than taking a bullet and jumping to the next sequence. I too think that Lara deserved a different exit and this long moments of insanity suited her well. A Lovecraft-esque way of living is to think that insanity is worse than death, and that is what I was thinking about when I first saw the episode. Season 2 showed us a strong Lara, clever and skeptic. Her only weakness was a gift that other people would make tv shows about. I never imagined she could let go like this. I felt so much pity for her and I tried to figure out what it is to suffer a total system breakdown like hers. I think it was well depicted, at least visually. I do not know much about the music although. It seemed well timed to the pictures but I cannot say if there is some meaning through it. I found interesting that this scene was so long, because in fact, it will have been a very short time in her life, compared to the everlasting silent catatonic moments she will spend in hospital custody. It was her last few active minutes and we saw nearly all of them. But we just stayed a few seconds with Frank at her bedside. I think it was very representative.

Regards

Once again, MLM enthusiast are all over the map in terms of their reactions, opinions, and ideas about aspects of our great show!  First of all, I just want to say that I love his aspect of MLM fandom!  The diversity and richness of the experiences that MLM fans have in relation to MLM.

I also thought that it was a great depiction of the forbodings expressed by various characters about "gift's driving them mad" and about the possibility of "going insane, once privy to the full knowledge, nature, responsibility, and truth of the comming millennium."

And I thought the music and lyrics were great.  Perfect for the scene!  The the sound of the vocalists voice was, for me, a perfect expression of Lara's internal condition.  It was like the vocalists voice was the voice of Lara's mind.  That was my impression anyway.

:hands4: Scott

Guest TheSunKing1972
sure, that wasn't the best episode of MillenniuM....but my take on Lara's trip was that... hey....if I saw Angels all the time..and I believed the end of the world was coming......who knows what kinda messed up visions I'd have? Besides, I just thought she was HOT...so I liked judt looking at her..... :plain_big:  :frank_black:

Guest TheSunKing1972

by the way....wasn't the song they used during her "vision"  "A Horse With No Name" by AMERICA?  I haven't seen it in a while and I don't think I have that episode.  I may be wrong...well, I think I am.  ...but my wife says I'm right..lol.

Well anyway, the visions went well with that song and the song really works well with the show....  I know Frank was supposed to be a Bobby Darrin fan...but I don't recall them using "Mack The Knife" in any episodes....I think Chris Carter used it on The X-files though. I could be wrong...anyway...i got a little off topic, sorry :smily_tooth_big:  :frank_black: