Midnight of the Century (again)

Rate this topic

As i was rewatching MOTC just now, i came across a very curious sequence of events. Flash forward to the scene where Laura comes over to Frank's house carrying a bag of goodies, fat-free eggnog, two different kinds of breads, etc...As Frank answers the door, we see Laura standing wih her hair neatly styled, with a very nice jacket, but no hood. As she walks thru the house and they banter back and forth, she proceeds into the living room where the pictures of the angels that both Frank and Jordan have drawn now lie on the coffeetable. Take a second and look out side the window..its freaking pouring, yet, Laura doesn't shake her coat off, she casually takes it off and then lays it on the sofa she is about to sit on...her hair is perfectly in place and she appears bone dry...

2ndly, one look at the rain falling outside that window, and you should have heard it when Frank origionally answered the door, but there is no indication at the front door whatsoever that its raining...

4th Horseman..

• Elders (Moderators)

You're right! I've looked at that scene, to see where the cuts are, and there's continuous filming from when Frank has Lara's bag and closes the front door (no obvious sign of rain) through to where Lara walks into the sitting room. At that point, some rain can be seen through the window. Then there's another cut just after Lara takes off her jacket and the rain is noticeably heavier then.

I know that light rain doesn't always show up on film - there's an episode of the X Files where Mulder is walking holding a newspaper over his head, because it was raining the day they filmed that scene, but the rain isn't heavy enough to show up on film, so he looks a little ridiculous. Frank's house has a porch so it could have been that it was raining lightly but not enough to show. Of course, Kristen Cloke would have been inside the house prior to filming, so wouldn't have got wet.

There's no sign of rain in the rest of that scene, so unless they shot the rest of that scene at another time (which I can't imagine they'd do), presumably it was just a shower.

They probably thought they could get away with the inconsistency and I guess most people wouldn't have noticed - but we've got some very sharp-eyed people on this board! Well done, 4H!

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
As i was rewatching MOTC just now, i came across a very curious sequence of events. Flash forward to the scene where Laura comes over to Frank's house carrying a bag of goodies, fat-free eggnog, two different kinds of breads, etc...As Frank answers the door, we see Laura standing wih her hair neatly styled, with a very nice jacket, but no hood. As she walks thru the house and they banter back and forth, she proceeds into the living room where the pictures of the angels that both Frank and Jordan have drawn now lie on the coffeetable. Take a second and look out side the window..its freaking pouring, yet, Laura doesn't shake her coat off, she casually takes it off and then lays it on the sofa she is about to sit on...her hair is perfectly in place and she appears bone dry...

2ndly, one look at the rain falling outside that window, and you should have heard it when Frank origionally answered the door, but there is no indication at the front door whatsoever that its raining...

4th Horseman..

I've got to hand it to you sir, you are indeed the KING of continuity!!! :yes:

• 1 year later...

I've just finished my eggnog soaked Millennium Christmas fest and after the 'nth' viewing of 'Midnight of the Century' I am hoping the great and good amongst you will set me right on an old puzzler.

I recently read, grey hairs and aged bones has me forgetting where, that Lara and Frank had that cliched 'will-they-won't-they' chemistry throughout Season Two. I would be the first to condemn this as witch-burning heresy but there is a little scene in 'Midnight' where there is an awkward school-disco moment when they realise they are holding hands.

The considered me denies this, Lara was so indulgent in whatever profundity she was experiencing, a touching scene showed her lonely, silent, just sitting in her room - clearly not a women preoccupied with being a social butterfly and Frank was badly attempting to salvage his marriage by, to be honest, doing absolutely everything he knew would stoke Catherine's fire.

So there I am all eggnogged and comfortable believing the Lara-Frank dynamic to be a silly post somewhere on a silly board until you get to 'Siren'. There is a quite 'aha' moment when Catherine intrudes upon Lara and Frank's 'Millennium Group Moment' and amidst Frank and Catherine's chatter we see Lara giving the most extended bitch-gaze I have ever seen. Back to the drawing board.

Whilst I concur that Frank never gave any indication that he wanted to see what was in Lara's-Christmas-Stockings could it be that Lara had something of a crush?

What do you think?

Frank overcame most temptations and it would have been good to see him fight to not get it on with LM. Frank's world weariness from fighting evil is what I love about the character. The only time he gave in was with the PM and satan/lucy wouln't let him live that down hu?

Guest Heath328

I watched "Midnight of the Century" again the other night.

The awkward moment between Frank and Lara seemed so believable, and it's also believable that Lara would be attracted to Frank (even if it's just a crush).

Frank is a level-headed, mature guy. Further, he has a "gift" akin to Lara's, so he could understand how this sets her apart from other people in a room. When he asks Lara for her advice about the angels, Frank is clearly taking her into his confidence. Heck, he couldn't even have a discussion with Catherine -- she just wants Jordan's gift to go away. Put all that together and there's going to be some sexual tension. I mean, Lara is even a redhead.

Here's my thing ...

Do you think putting Frank and Lara together might have been some kind of Millennium Group tactic to further distance Frank from Catherine? One of the side benefits of their "finding the evil" together in "Monster," from the Group's perspective, is that an affair would tend to bring Frank closer to his new world.

Just a theory, and that's ALL it is ...