Midnight of the Century (again)

Rate this topic

Gosh I'm loving all this but not the perpetual skull-ache it is causing me.

If the Millennium Group had used Marbug as a biological gun-shot allowing it to be distributed to its recipients through the food chain is wanton insanity, they would have to ensure where each ticking-chicken-leg-bomb would arrive.

I dont recall ever claiming that the Group used food as a vehicle to distribute the Marburg virus. I was SIMPLY MAKING a correlation between the CHICKENS that died at the ranch and the use of the camera zooming in on the CHICKEN breasts as if we are to believe that the meat was the cause. As for the dog, SC, who knows?

4th Horseman

MLLM lost credibility with me over the virus. It was set up so well, and although Catherine's death was slightly different than the family at the chicken dinner, I thought the groups mistreatment of Frank and Peter was finally revealing the group as a very dangerous thing indeed. Season three could have been about Peter and Frank teaming up to help what few survivors left to fight against those in the group trying to bring about the MLLM disaster.

To quote John Belushi, "BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Season three gives us the crap that the virus was really just a small, local thing and the show would take a different direction. They could just as well have made it a "bad dream" and Cahterine didn't really die thing.

Guest Heath328

In a way, what happened at the end of Season 2 with the Marburg virus was an apocalyptic event, even if the implications weren't spread over the globe.

Specifically, it was an apocalyptic event for Frank.

He lost Katherine.

The Millennium Group, which Frank had trusted and to which he had entrusted much of his future, appeared responsible for his beloved wife's death.

The forces of order that Frank had championed against the darkness outside were utterly powerless to prevent any of what happened. Yes, Frank had taken out a dangerous stalker at the beginning of Season 2 -- only to have cold death appear in the form of a virus.

I don't like the way the Millennium Group turned out to be the typical conspiracy stereotype that people have of organizations they know nothing about (like the Masons). I would have preferred that the Group maintained its identity as established in Season 1 -- as a straight-up consulting group, formed by law enforcement officers.

That said, I thought the Marburg virus element was good storytelling. OK, it turned out to be a "local thing" instead of wiping out most of the population. This is an example of a cliff-hanger, common to TV.

How many times on "The X-Files" were we led to believe that Mulder had been killed (or taken his own life, a la Season 5-6?), only to find out that what you saw wasn't really what you saw?

Truly wonderful stuff coming out of all this so I hope it will run a little longer, I shall just have to buy more ibuprofen for the nightly head-pounding-against-keyboard as I fail to ever reach a firm conclusion.

OK, it turned out to be a "local thing" instead of wiping out most of the population. This is an example of a cliff-hanger, common to TV.

On the issue of the limited effects of the Marburg pandemic I think it is fair to say that we accept that it is remotely possible that Marburg may have imploded before sufficient spread of the contagion could cause a world-wide pandemic, this is not uncommon and the spread of any disease can rarely be accurately predicted. I believe that all myself, 4th and others have tried to do is not explain why Marburg had such a relatively insignificant effect upon life but how Marburg could have been controlled by the Group sufficiently to warrant it being a cogent method of assassination as noted in Season Three.

If you try to create a cohesive narrative from this explanation it is truly difficult to do as the posts above will no doubt illustrate but I guess we keep trying, and buying the pills lol.

Sorry to break the train of thought that's happening here but hopefully I will be forgiven. I had yet another night of 'Midnight Of The Century' simply to enjoy the blooper the mighty 4th has noted earlier in this thread and yup, there it was and face-scrunchingly-enjoyable it was too. But only moments later I noted another that had never hit me in the face before. During the discussion Frank and Lara have with regards to angels she daubs the tree with three-ish baubles and Frank manages to bedeck it with one strand of tinsel yet the when the tree fails it is laden to the hilt with ornaments.

Who knows, maybe the angels finished the job?

I shall just have to buy more ibuprofen for the nightly head-pounding-against-keyboard as I fail to ever reach a firm conclusion.

:doh:

I'm sorry, but I have to cut in and remark that this is my pick for today's "cutest thing ethshafu has said".

:clapping:

:doh:

I'm sorry, but I have to cut in and remark that this is my pick for today's "cutest thing ethshafu has said".

:clapping:

I have trained you well OB1!!!...hahahha...great find, that one went right by me.....Erin, wait till you see MY PICTURE!!!...again, i dont want references to my wife marrying down or comparisons to either the Michelin Man or the Pillsbury Dough Boy...

4th Horseman...

I have trained you well OB1!!!

Indeed you have my Jedi Master! It still never ceases to amaze me that you can view an episode to the Nth degree and then wallop. there's a caveat ripe for the plucking. Gotta admit my friend I have a long way to go till I have your grasp of the 'force'.

Guest SouthernCelt
I have trained you well OB1!!!...hahahha...great find, that one went right by me.....Erin, wait till you see MY PICTURE!!!...again, i dont want references to my wife marrying down or comparisons to either the Michelin Man or the Pillsbury Dough Boy...

4th Horseman...

I suppose the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man is off limits too? :rofl: