Sign in to follow this  

I'm reading Good Omens written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and it's totally hilarious. It has everything ready to be Millenniumistic, but it is also incredibly clever, ironic and funny. an angel named aziraphale and crowley the demon (who are supposed to be enemies, but because they have been the only "holy" species on the face of the earth for more than 6000 years, get along pretty well) are preparing for the doomsday but they actually like the human race and don't really want the world to end. and to make things even more absurdly worse, the new-born antichrist, who will mark the beginning of the apocalypse is misplaced in the hospital!   :tongue:

i think the book has everything to be milleniumistic, and it is funny, and it is written by two great writers!

Has anyone else read(or is anyone reading) it?

Guest Selfosophy Psycho

Wow!  That's sounds fantastic! As well as millenniumistic!  (Actually this work is even more millenniumistic that millenniumistic because it incorporates humour... If you recall the whole reason I use the term "millenniumistic" for these forums and anywhere else I used it, is because of Gieblehouse's use/creating of the word in Doomsday Defense... which was very humours in and of itself... add to this, the spoofing of MLM and millenniumistic things in general...)

This sound really funny.  I will be looking for it!  This kind of stuff, I think, really oppitomizes the spoofing humour of the MLM writers.

And, personally, I love anything that pickups up on the humour opportunities inherent in prophesies and sacred texts of anykind.  I mean, they can be humourous on their own... but all you have to do is think or look a bit, and a world of humourous opportunity unfolds without too much effort!  And the humour stands on its own, but can also have the happy effect of pointing out the absurdities and ridiculousness of such texts and prophesies.

Scott

I'm reading Good Omens written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and it's totally hilarious. It has everything ready to be Millenniumistic, but it is also incredibly clever, ironic and funny. an angel named aziraphale and crowley the demon (who are supposed to be enemies, but because they have been the only "holy" species on the face of the earth for more than 6000 years, get along pretty well) are preparing for the doomsday but they actually like the human race and don't really want the world to end. and to make things even more absurdly worse, the new-born antichrist, who will mark the beginning of the apocalypse is misplaced in the hospital!   :tongue:

i think the book has everything to be milleniumistic, and it is funny, and it is written by two great writers!

Has anyone else read(or is anyone reading) it?

......"INGES": there is another really good novel i read in the early 90's that is not humour per say,but has many humourous moments,some of which are very MM-istic. but still made me smile. only instead of devils/angels/relegions it purports that the TRUE frailty of the human species is "extremism" and "labeling"of any type and in any form.  it shows the complete ridiculousness in all forms of extreme thought,including religion,atheism,politics,racism,etc. -(views which i mostly wholeheartedly subscribe to). it's been a long time but i beleive the title was "the hudson river society" or "the hudson society".   ...it's more or less a serious book,with dark comic moments,or a "dramedy", but it also pokes some fingers into all kinds of hot-topic areas-(well,these days anyway)          

...the protagonist keeps shedding identities and labels that he "thinks",wrongly or rightly,other people put on him until he decides he's going it alone,with no political views he'll voice out,no religion,no racial stereotypes.-(he's described as having "one foot in each pond" as far as his beliefs/spirituality/politics.)- He becomes so preoccupied with shedding anything that could even remotely "label" him that he neglects to try and figure just what he DOES stand for beleive in.  just the ordeal this guy goes through throughout the novel is very genuinely,but NOT in a mean way,humourous. then he meets THE girl of his dreams who thinks and sees things exactly the way he does.       ...life is good,until he meets her friends,on her suggestion,at what he thought was her co-worker's  retirement party. they get to the "ELKS CLUB",enter the doors,and....BAM!!! the poor guy is floored-(not in a good way)-to see that the hall is filled with people who are all rabily idealistic people who beleive in the SAME anti-labeling/religion/political/racism views as he................................................................and the "GROUP" is called "THE HUDSON RIVER SOCIETY"! :devil01:  ....SEEMS HIS GIRLFRIEND WANTED TO SURPRISE HIM. ........it more or less ends with the poor bloke sneaking out of the hall,via a bathroom window, in the rain...........wearing a group hat,t-shirt and button-(more happens in between of course,but it's been 12-13-years,here)-and he's walking out alone just as he hears his name called for induction in the society,in the rain,and crying. till he nears the hudson river and then begins to laugh hystericly........................and on......and on.............and on.

.....i'm not even sure if a bought it,borrowed it,or took it out of the local library,but,if i got one of the 2 possible titles right i highly recomend this novel as well. i may even try finding it again as this is a book that,whenever it was written,was obviously WAY ahead of it's time. from what i remeber,and some parts i do vividly,this book would fit in very nicely today in this era of intolerance,closemindedness,fear and identity crises,both as a people and as a country.

~PEACE,

se7en :ouro:

..thanks for jolting that memory :smokin:

thanks for your advice se7en, i'll try to find the book(sounds really interesting), although it is a slim chance.. but there's always amazon :)

IF.

Guest Selfosophy Psycho

Inges,

The apocalyptic misadventures of the book you discribed, reminds me of the film Dogma.  VERY funny and great film.  Definitely millenniumistic in both its subject manner and humour.  I could almost see the 4 demons from Somehow Satan Got Behind Me showing up in Dogma somewhere!  :laugh_big:    :wink_big:

Scott

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.