Harsh Realm, Lone Gunmen, Strange World, TheOthers

Rate this topic

Hello folks!

I often hear people mention here the other 1013 shows or shows of 1013 directors/producers that were short lived - like the Lone Gunmen, Harsh Realm, Strange World, or The Others.  So lets get some chatter going about them here.   I mean, people seem to be pretty enthusastic about this prematurely cancelled gems.  So, why don't we talk about them!

Who will be first?

Scott

Guest Wellington

Hi

I have been lucky enough to watch the Lone Gunmen first time Fox aired it. I was feeling particularly proud of that because I did not have to wait a French translation and 2 years after to watch it!  :laugh_big:

No, I enjoyed that because I was able to react or read reaction about the show with no time lag. The pilot episode really impressed me, because its very near future showed that 1013 had put the finger on something really big. Yes, that kind of things can happen, and all the rumours subsequent to the real life tragic events gave another dimension to the script. It was a dark story, a bit complex, and I liked the way the 3 geeks felt at ease in their about to be filled background. I sort of imagined them this way, whenever they shared an X-File ep.

But all the soup turned sour quickly. I never understood the introduction of characters like Jimmy Bond and Eve. Then I learnt many things about Fox network and I had my ideas about how to appeal to a wider audience. We had a lighter, funnier version of the X-Files as gem and Fox transformed that into something so grotesque that even teens cannot bear the sight of. That is a shame because there were some good ideas for scripts and the core characters were on their right tracks. Well, at least from my point of view...

Then the end, more abrupt that the end of MM. I have mixed feelings about it: on one hand it closed a show the subtility of which tended to be heavier and heavier, and on the other hand it clearly had not been pushed to its limits. I think I would be grateful if Fox throttled back and gave the show another chance, cutting the fat out and adding a lot more dark spices for the taste!

Regards

Guest TheSunKing1972
I never saw any episodes of the other shows, just the pilot for the lonegunmen. anyone have some eps to give up? :thumbsup_big:  :frank_black:  :frank_black:  :frank_black:

.......for me the only other 1013 show that was even mildy amusing/entertaining was the lone gunman,and even that show often veered to obsolute camp at times. as far as harsh realm?    

...gotta be honest,i found it one big,huge,gigantic,enormous boring-matrix-rip off- dissapointment. in short: HATED IT.   ...as the show went on it wasn't so much like the matrix but the intial concept and premier episode seemed much too much like a matrix rip-off. and the matrix script was written well before the HR script.  -(say it ain't so C.C.  :cry: )

aHHHHH Well. :eyes:

se7en :ouro:

The Lone Gunmen was at least entertaining....and it was cool to see Chris Carter turning on that waky side of him that we only got glimpses of in The X Files and MillenniuM.  Maybe it would have caught on better if everyone wasn't so overwhelmed with all the shows that 10-13 was putting out all at once.  It's a pitty, realy.

As for Harsh Realm, as I have only just received ALL the episodes, curtisy of none other than Psycho-Scott himself... :rofl: ....I'll have to get back to you on that! :wink_big:

~Raven Wolf :Ouro_Large:

And, just like MLM, the diversity of opinions seems limitless regarding these other shows!

I love the wacky campiness of the Gunmen.  I thought it was very different.  But, I can see where there was definitely room for the show to take itself more seriously with some of the episodes.  I mean, it would have been cool to have some darker/dramatic/action/suspense Gunmen episodes, like the episodes of XFs that featured the Gunmen.  They could have still incorporated that same humour, but more like it was played out in the XFs.

I would not have wanted to have the wacky episodes discarded, but just mix it up with more serious dark ones.

As far as Harsh Realm... there is really something about this show that really appeals to me.  I think part of it is the Pinocchio character, his attitude, and one liners!  They are great!  He gets all the good lines!  I thought DB Sweeny did a great job with this character.  I also like the exploration of power and authoritarianism in the episodes.  Interesting that this aired in 1999 and 2000, just before various world and US events were to occur.  If the show had continued, I think it would have been very timely.

The content of these shows, 1013 in general, and my wish that these shows would've continue - all have inspired me to pen both Lone Gunmen, and Harsh Realm fan fic.  It has been a blast to do so.  And a great way to let the shows and characters live on.

More... no Strange World, another time.  Need to get some zzzzz

Scott

Guest Wellington

Hi

I mean, it would have been cool to have some darker/dramatic/action/suspense Gunmen episodes, like the episodes of XFs that featured the Gunmen.  They could have still incorporated that same humour, but more like it was played out in the XFs

I am with you on that. X-F eps featuring the lone gunmen had a very deep conspirational appeal to me (well except the 1st person shooting one). They had an impact because of what they brought to the story as well as because of what they did not, of the mysterious mess in their "office", and of all the background we could only imagine then. Their stand alone performance shattered that in a way, because emphasis was put on the farcical side instead of the dark side. The excellent X-F episode about the life of cancer man showed how they can be efficient as investigators, and how inconsciously endangered they could be. That was not just a fight against super-CPU-chip-Corp. they were dealing with. With X-F they could get into real trouble.

But then I suppose that the stand alone was aimed at a younger audience, with less gloominess and less second degree jokes. Even Frohike was watered down a bit! All in all, to me, despite the potential and all the opportunities that allowed to righten the show, it was not enough. But Fox' decision to cancel it after half a season was no better, they could really have done something far better! They shut it so quickly that, if I remember correctly, the Lone Gunmen official web site had never been completed... Just too bad...

I have never seen Harsh Realms. From what all of you are writing about it, I would be very curious to give it a try (or two).

Regards

I totally loved The Lone Gunmen. One of the funniest things ever on television, it's - again - a shame that FOX didn't renew the series after the 13 episodes.

I have all original episodes as MPEG1 files here and will look for a way to share them :)

Toby

Wellington,

I am glad to have peeked your interest.  I would be willing to send you a copy for trade.  I am looking for episodes of Stange World.  I have like 4 of the episodes.  Is it on the air on the Space Channel by any chance?  If it is, if you would be willing to tape the episode for me on VHS, I would definitely trade for episodes of Harsh Realm.  Or if you know someone with the eps, etc.  Let me know.  I will be a bit of time before I can dubb eps of Harsh Realm on vhs for you, as I am having someone transfer them to dvd-r for me.  Once I have the dvd-rs, will be able to send them to you.

And, if you interest is really peeked, I can provide you with links to all kinds of pretty decent Harsh Realm fanfic.

There will soon be a source for all eps of both the Gunmen and Harsh Realm... stay tuned!

Scott

Guest Wellington

Hi Scott

Thanks for the offer! I am not currently suscribing to Space, and thinking of that, I wonder why... I love everything Star Trek, would like to see Enterprise at last, etc... I guess next time I will ask for an earlier wake up call!  :laugh_big: So I have checked the weekly program listing of the channel and I am afraid they do not broadcast Strange World. However, if I catch it on another Canadian channel, I will gladly let you know. Truth is I am not really about TV these times, and to sum it up, I can watch it only on weekends (no punition, just double appartment trouble! :arghhh-big: ). That is why I am not really aware of what is on the air and what is not.

However Space do broadcast Harsh Realm on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I guess I should think about it quite seriously now! Just like I think I will welcome that news of LG and HR availability!!! :cool-big:

Anyway, thanks a lot for the offer!

Regards