Carbon reserves in Earth's mantle

Rate this topic

Guest Wellington

Guest Wellington

Hi

Nature will soon publish the results of some research tending to prove that the mantle of earth contains huge amounts of carbon. Scientists apparently made some models with the pressure and temperature conditions deep underground (hundreds to thousands of km) and affirm that serious volcanic activity could bring this carbon closer to the crust of Earth where it could decompose in CO2 and spread into the atmosphere, thus killing many living things (and probably myself by the way) by sheer greenhouse effect. It looks like the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere varied through the geological eras and coincide with mass extinctions millions of years ago. What a mess if that happens before the Owls' cosmological disaster!

I do not know about you, but I will sure think twice before I dig in my garden... It will not be my fault...  :wink_big:

Regards

Guest Justa Fan

Hi Wellington,

After spending most of today transplanting shrubbery

and roses, I firmly believe the fault will be mine (or

my wife's fault...they are HER roses after all!)

Sorry...I will try and do better with our next planet.

:sad_big: