Dead Letters

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Three more observations about Dead Letters:

1. The family setups of the two Profilers, Frank and Jim, are shown in an effective contrast. Horn is Frank Black gone wrong and thus defines our hero.

2. At the end of the episode, another biblical reference appears in Jim Horn´s now clean-shaven face. Like Samson, he has lost all power he ever had, but while Samson restored it by his belief Jim will never get it back.

3. After viewing the episode one must question the Group´s criteria for selecting candidates. The group must have been aware of Jim´s marital difficulties. And it got in touch with Frank after he had suffered a nervous breakdown. In a second season episode (Owls/Roosters perhaps?), Peter Watts recalls the crisis of the soul that made him susceptible to the Group´s offers. That´s three known instances of selecting then-unstable persons for candidacy who would then accept the Group´s goals and beliefs more easily.

Of course, this raises the question whether the Polaroid Man was another candidate who went completely out of control. Some of his rantings in 'The Beginning and the End' suggest an awareness of and even familiarity with the Millennium Group. Vice versa, the Group has information about that man in alarming quantities.

Wow, I missed the loss of hair bit. Frank will loose his family like Jim, but remain faithful and end up with just Jordan and himself against the world. Jim is a perfect foil for Frank.

Guest JMunch
DBSD/JMunch - This connection has been covered at length here in previous threads...I would say that most of the members here would agree that there was some kind of "connection" between PM and The Group...what it was exactly is the seed for ideas...

OK, I am new here and did not read all the threads before posting my observations. My mistake.

OK, I am new here and did not read all the threads before posting my observations. My mistake.
I am glad you have brought it back up, because now it lets us (those who want to participate) discuss the Kuffle/PM connection which i have always found very interesting....any takers? Southerncelt, ZF, MIB, Moriarty, DBSD, Hippyroo? Anyone?

4th Horseman...

Guest ZeusFaber

Well, I'm not sure where to begin on that one.

In all honesty, I think it would have turned out very very differently if we had been allowed to pursue Ted Mann's take on the Polaroid Man and Paul Raskin's portrayal of him.

I'll have to watch the PM episodes again. Then I can update my opinion. Right now I believe that the PM was a known quantity by the group and that they in a sense betrayed Frank by not telling him what they knew. Given the way Frank took care of the PM, I could entertain the idea that the group knew it would be bad for Frank to confront him, but now my mind is totally anti MLLM group it's hard for me to give them credit for much. Wow, what a run-on sentence!

Guest Moriarty
I am glad you have brought it back up, because now it lets us (those who want to participate) discuss the Kuffle/PM connection which i have always found very interesting....any takers? Southerncelt, ZF, MIB, Moriarty, DBSD, Hippyroo? Anyone?

4th Horseman...

I don't see any connection between Kuffle and PM. Kuffle sent his photos to the police, not to Frank. And the pictures were from his victims who were already dead. It is however quite possible that PM knew that Frank worked on the case and finally captured Kuffle. As a former member/candidate of the group he would also know that Kuffle sent pictures to the police and that pictures of his family would trigger something in Frank. It obviously did as he had his first mental breakdown once the pictures arrived when they were living in Washinton. But this is hardly a connection. It is more a copycat thing. There just isn't any proof in the series that Kuffle and PM were connected, that they knew each other, etc...

Also, what Zeus said previously about Ted Mann and so is very true. The staff of season 1 clearly had other intentions with PM. Needless to say that M&W destroyed that character. But that's another discussion.

No, really 4th, I think that the connection thing does not exist at all. This is what the abyss says in the trivia of Via Dolorosa:

"Cuffle is first referenced during the pilot episode, when Frank explains that the killer's creative use of Polaroid photographs contributed to the creation of the Polaroid stalker and, eventually, to Frank's own psychological breakdown."

You see, I think that PM simply copies the sending of the pictures in order to get to Frank. That is what Carter hinted at in the Pilot. Not at any "physical" link bewteen Cuffle and PM. This is just my humble opinion.

Edited by Moriarty

• Elders (Moderators)

Please, JM, don't worry about posting on something that has been discussed here before. There's a huge amount of material here, and it would be impossible for anyone to read (and remember) it all. Besides, it's always possible to find fresh visions on old subjects! :wink:

• Elders (Moderators)
I am glad you have brought it back up, because now it lets us (those who want to participate) discuss the Kuffle/PM connection.

I'm glad too, and I'd love to participate, but like hippyroo, I'll have to refresh my memory a bit first. Right now I pretty much share the view that Moriarty just posted. :yes:

I'm glad too, and I'd love to participate, but like hippyroo, I'll have to refresh my memory a bit first. Right now I pretty much share the view that Moriarty just posted. :yes:
I can see some logic in Moriarty's post....perhaps we should call it for what it appears to be...coincidence...

4th Horseman...

Guest Moriarty
I can see some logic in Moriarty's post....perhaps we should call it for what it appears to be...coincidence...

4th Horseman...

I guess so, unless you can come up with some valid points that proof otherwise 4th :-)

Edited by Moriarty