The Others

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

College student Marian Kitt joins a support group of individuals with the abilities to "vicariously experience the feelings, thoughts and experiences of others" held weekly by a wise old man who teaches them to understand paranormal phenomena.

Premiered February 2000 as a midseason replacement series on NBC. Lasted 13 episodes before being cancelled in May due to poor ratings. Morgan and Wong left 20th Century Television to sign a multi-year deal with Dreamworks. Their first job for Spielberg & Co. was to serve as executive producers on "The Others" in addition to developing additional series for NBC.

Find out more about The Others at IMDB.com

The Others entry at Wikipedia

Guest Wellington

Hi

Now it makes sense! I did not now the English title for this series, but it was aired some weeks ago on French Canadian sci-fi channel Z. The French title, Les mediums is nothing inspirating and I really did not bother to watch it, and I feel like I should have. I once saw the title and M&W's participation but I did not feel it was worth watching. Now I will sure be there for the re-run! It is amazing that a 13 ep series was translated and sold. I do not think that The Lone Gumen had this privilege.

From what I saw the, The Others looked well directed and the actors up to the task. The target seems to be young adults, however, but we need stuff for everyone. For instance, the mood is not very gloomy and there are more messages for hope than for despair. Once again there is a discreet society with a knowledge of its own and it looks like a habit for M&W. I would prefer they switch that off and start making longer run shows...

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Legion

The Others was an incredibly good series and I've been a very sad monkey when it got cancelled. It had all the premises and the potential of a modern gothic epic, with incredibly original and powerful characters. So good, so smart, so gone. *sigh*

Guest Justa Fan
I wish Dreamworks or someone would release the show on DVD.  It wasn't a bad show at all.  I have every episode on tape.

Agreed....I'd like to have "The Others" on DVD. They were just starting

to get good when they got the axe. Sound familiar?

A while back someone had some VCD's up for sale on E-Bay. Haven't

seen them lately.

:down:

• 2 years later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss
The Others was an incredibly good series and I've been a very sad monkey when it got cancelled. It had all the premises and the potential of a modern gothic epic, with incredibly original and powerful characters. So good, so smart, so gone. *sigh*

I just noticed this thread about "The Others" today. I can see MM fans appreciating this show. As you mention, very good, very smart, very unique, and as seen with Millennium, many times this is a recipe that does not survive long with a viewing public who seems more interested in brain candy than substance. I really loved this show, and it barely lasted one season. It really had some great writters and a great cast, and I was a sad monkey as well :cry: when it ended so soon. Does anyone remember the episode that Kristen Kloke appeared in? I would certainly be in line to buy this series if they were to put it out on DVD.

• 3 months later...
Guest Legion

Blimey. Kristen was in it? Didn't notice, shame on me.

For me the top moment of The Others was that episode when the Unnamed thing was brought out (or is it Nameless? I watched it dubbed in Italian so go guess), with the kid and the bum. I love M&W's mythologies. That stuff is really inspiring for me as a novelist.

... which probably isn't a good thing for my career, seeing as smart stuff gets axed and brain candy survives. D'OH.

Oh hi Bliss. Bumping into each other again huh?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Blimey. Kristen was in it? Didn't notice, shame on me.

For me the top moment of The Others was that episode when the Unnamed thing was brought out (or is it Nameless? I watched it dubbed in Italian so go guess), with the kid and the bum. I love M&W's mythologies. That stuff is really inspiring for me as a novelist.

... which probably isn't a good thing for my career, seeing as smart stuff gets axed and brain candy survives. D'OH.

Oh hi Bliss. Bumping into each other again huh?

Yes, looks like you found a post that I made on my birthday there, April 23. I did notice that I misspelled Kristen Cloke there though. :embarassed: I have to admit, being 6 years ago, the series is just a blur to me now, and I wish like heck that someone would release it on DVD. Maybe they can make a DVD called "The great, but short lived projects of Morgan and Wong". I can't remember now if Kristen was in one or two episodes, but for some reason, it seemed like they never did build on her character. This leads me to think that she appeared late, and would have had a bigger role had the series continued, but like I said, it's all a blur now, so that could be 100% wrong. Given the fact that KC was such a great actress and Morgan's sweetheart, I can't imagine that the role she played was the extent of what they had in mind for her. From what I remember, she just kind of stood there in the rain and looked dark and mysterious. For some reason, it seems like they were building up to something at this point, which is why I speculate that this might have been the episode that set things up for a second season. Anyone who knows better, feel free to correct my on this. Wow, almost 12:30 now. It looks like Roosters might have to wait until tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

it took me until 2008 to watch the "Pilot" of The Others. I have to admit, I Love this series. I am so glad that Chiller decided to run the series. I cant wait till next Sat. Love the creepy surreal look, kinda reminded me of a movie.......The Cell with Jenny Lopez

• 2 weeks later...