The Judge

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
LOL, now a categorical denial, what are we going to do with you L@the. :oneeyedwinK I did NOT, however, know that we were talking about fully clothed school girls, so I will have to retract my "sex fiend" comments.

Thank God that worked! :smokin:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
STILL drawn to the blood and gore... :nope: Dude, I thought you were seeing someone about that :grin:

I hate to take this thread back down the road of blood and gore, but I just ran across Fargo and the issue strikes me as so funny as it relates to regular television, and I remember it was discussed most recently in this thread. Maybe this would be better addressed under another topic, but it seems so absurd that they take a movie like this, show the blood and guts, people getting shot, beaten, killed, ground up in wood chippers, etc., and show it at all hours of the day for everyone, including kids to watch if their parents are not keeping tabs. Then, after this display of bloodshed, they view themselves as responsible because they bleep out meaningless dirty words that you hear constantly in every day life and that kids themselves already use on a regular basis, and do a bad job at that, given the fact that the dubbing of the naughty words is totally obvious and unbelievable and that you can read the lips of the actors anyway. Who ever decided that this kind of gore and violence should be viewed in its original form, and yet these silly words that everyone already knows should be bleeped out? I am also amazed by the subject matter they cover in dialogue in mid day programing, without so much as a parental warning. This is not a compliant about Fargo (one of my all time favorite movies), or any other specific movie, but simply an observation of a ridiculous set of standards.

Guest SouthernCelt
I hate to take this thread back down the road of blood and gore, but I just ran across Fargo and the issue strikes me as so funny as it relates to regular television, and I remember it was discussed most recently in this thread. Maybe this would be better addressed under another topic, but it seems so absurd that they take a movie like this, show the blood and guts, people getting shot, beaten, killed, ground up in wood chippers, etc., and show it at all hours of the day for everyone, including kids to watch if their parents are not keeping tabs. Then, after this display of bloodshed, they view themselves as responsible because they bleep out meaningless dirty words that you hear constantly in every day life and that kids themselves already use on a regular basis, and do a bad job at that, given the fact that the dubbing of the naughty words is totally obvious and unbelievable and that you can read the lips of the actors anyway. Who ever decided that this kind of gore and violence should be viewed in its original form, and yet these silly words that everyone already knows should be bleeped out? I am also amazed by the subject matter they cover in dialogue in mid day programing, without so much as a parental warning. This is not a compliant about Fargo (one of my all time favorite movies), or any other specific movie, but simply an observation of a ridiculous set of standards.

Sometimes the redubbing of dirty words becomes laughable on regular TV. I'll never forget a scene from one of the Lethal Weapon movies where Mel Gibson takes a shotgun blast from a would-be drive-by assassin. He, of course, is wearing body armor so that the impact doesn't injure him but simply pushes him backward through a plate glass window. He comes stumbling out, brushing off the glass shards, displaying a I-want-to-kill scowl and utters the line that epitomized his anger: "Now I'm MIFFED, I'm really MIFFED!" I laughed so hard that I missed the next few minutes of the movie.

Guest colts45

hey lathe in your profile it says your favorite season is season 2 so how long after you first saw season 3 did you fall in love with emma?

Yes my friend; I must agree. I remember when I very first saw 'Fargo' I was personally a little put off by the violence that was depicted in the show; I realize that it was pretty much fitting to the story, but still, I wasn't really thrilled with it. Well, as was stated in detail earlier, the threshhold of television violence has gotten a LOT more liberal these days, so there you go; this is just one more example of the many things that you had mentioned before.

hey lathe in your profile it says your favorite season is season 2 so how long after you first saw season 3 did you fall in love with emma?

Hmmm, it's interesting that you ask...

Let's see now, weighing in the intial shock of course at the abysmal first few shows in Season 3 and 'coupling' that with the many and varied complex factors having to do with the tone and direction of the show balanced of course with the extrapolation and continued evolution of character development...

About 5 minutes... :wtf:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes my friend; I must agree. I remember when I very first saw 'Fargo' I was personally a little put off by the violence that was depicted in the show; I realize that it was pretty much fitting to the story, but still, I wasn't really thrilled with it. Well, as was stated in detail earlier, the threshhold of television violence has gotten a LOT more liberal these days, so there you go; this is just one more example of the many things that you had mentioned before.

Hmmm, it's interesting that you ask...

Let's see now, weighing in the intial shock of course at the abysmal first few shows in Season 3 and 'coupling' that with the many and varied complex factors having to do with the tone and direction of the show balanced of course with the extrapolation and continued evolution of character development...

About 5 minutes... :wtf:

Yeah, I thought the violence and gore kind of fit the story as well, but I can also see where someone could find it bothersome. Personally, I wasn't really too phased by it, but it would probably squeak into the "hard core" category, with the "wood chipper" and other scenes. I really don't take too much issue with the film itself, after all, it is one of my favorite movies, and it did provide ample warning with an R rating. My issue is more with the way it (and other shows) is aired on regular cable channels. The violence seems to be shown more or less in its original form, regardless of what time of day they show it, even though it had the R rating at theaters. Then, as if to clean it up for all viewers, they do an unconvincing dubbing of commonly heard dirty words, while leaving the violence, gore and adult themes and dialogue untouched. I know this standard is here to stay, but it just strikes me as funny how society has weighed the importance of these issues and seen fit to respond in the "clean up" stage of rated R movies for regular television.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Sometimes the redubbing of dirty words becomes laughable on regular TV. I'll never forget a scene from one of the Lethal Weapon movies where Mel Gibson takes a shotgun blast from a would-be drive-by assassin. He, of course, is wearing body armor so that the impact doesn't injure him but simply pushes him backward through a plate glass window. He comes stumbling out, brushing off the glass shards, displaying a I-want-to-kill scowl and utters the line that epitomized his anger: "Now I'm MIFFED, I'm really MIFFED!" I laughed so hard that I missed the next few minutes of the movie.

Yes, that was funny. I think that was in the first Lethal Weapon. By the way, I need to stop posting at 1:00 in the morning. I wrote one of my typical rambling, long winded responses to this post last night, and either my computer isn't functioning properly or I am not hitting the send button or something because it is nowhere to be found. Oh well, you didn't miss much.

Yeah, I thought the violence and gore kind of fit the story as well, but I can also see where someone could find it bothersome. Personally, I wasn't really too phased by it, but it would probably squeak into the "hard core" category, with the "wood chipper" and other scenes. I really don't take too much issue with the film itself, after all, it is one of my favorite movies, and it did provide ample warning with an R rating. My issue is more with the way it (and other shows) is aired on regular cable channels. The violence seems to be shown more or less in its original form, regardless of what time of day they show it, even though it had the R rating at theaters. Then, as if to clean it up for all viewers, they do an unconvincing dubbing of commonly heard dirty words, while leaving the violence, gore and adult themes and dialogue untouched. I know this standard is here to stay, but it just strikes me as funny how society has weighed the importance of these issues and seen fit to respond in the "clean up" stage of rated R movies for regular television.

Yes, I do agree with you (Hmmm, maybe I should take my temperature... :yes: ) No, seriously I think you have a valid point here, they DO seem to get all uptight about the language and yet the level of violence that they allow through unchecked is not consistant at all. Again, as we have stated before, current television 'values' (if you will) especially pertaining to violence, is at an all time low.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, I do agree with you (Hmmm, maybe I should take my temperature... :yes: ) No, seriously I think you have a valid point here, they DO seem to get all uptight about the language and yet the level of violence that they allow through unchecked is not consistant at all. Again, as we have stated before, current television 'values' (if you will) especially pertaining to violence, is at an all time low.

Hey, what happened, you agree with me? OK, strike what I said and reverse it.... hee hee, a little bit of trivia, who else used that line in a famous family movie from the 70s? Hint: Verniscious K'nits.

Hey, what happened, you agree with me? OK, strike what I said and reverse it.... hee hee, a little bit of trivia, who else used that line in a famous family movie from the 70s? Hint: Verniscious K'nits.

Hmmm, before my time I guess... (cough...) :wtf: