The Judge

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

• 1 year later...

I am not sure if I should raise the dead or start a new thread...

The only cultural reference for Legion that I am aware of is the biblical one. In that context Legion is more like a club or a syndicate or something. It is possible that The Judge was possessed by Legion, and so is Lucy Butler, and so are potentially thousands of others. To compare to a real world organization, a policeman at the door might say, "Open up it's the police" although he does not imply that he is the only policeman.

My question about the Judge is in the conversation with Frank. Frank seems fairly unfazed by the introduction. He does not ask about the job offer, nor does he get to upset about a man named Legion introducing himself. Does Frank think the Judge is nuts and merely humors him? Or has he had a close encounter with Legion before and is not surprised?

My two cents: at this point Frank is still on the fence about corporeal evil, he has been quoted scripture before and someone naming themselves from biblical stories usually meant delusions of granduer so I feel Frank just let him talk. Legion in the show seems to be a demonic entity, many in one I am not sure if it is like a group so much as multiple faces (as we see in powers, principalities...) a collective of evil seen as one (I suppose a comparison could be made to the catholic trinity). Legion as seen elsewhere also shows an ability to be two places at once. I am not sure I see the judge as part of the Legion arc so much as a precursor, he is a phoney, his mask is made of cloth, Legions is made of flesh. The real Legion is not so easily beaten. I felt he was an agent of evil however as the series progressesd we went from agents of evil to evil incarnate with Butler (Even her name is well written: Lucy being a play on Lucifer and Butler a mockery of humility, or even 'Lucifers servant'), the only early exception to physical evil is the villain in Gehanna who Frank suspects of being more than man but is not ready to take that Kierkegaardian leap just yet. Man, when this show fired on all cylinders it really kicked ass!!! Also Butler never had to spell anything out to Frank, she made the truth unmistakable, the Judge however seemed to be pushing for his own authority to be respected, a sure sign that he did not actually possess any.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly in PPDT, remember the scene when they are in the market and at each isle Frank sees someone else, ALister Pepper, Lucy, etc... This is a clear indication to me that they are all one, maybe not literally, but in purpose as if a legion of men. And in the same episode Frank insists more than once that Alister has made the "Work for me" offer before. Pepper seems amused by this and we can interpret Frank as incorrect and making a wrong assumption because of his fragile state of mind, or dead on accurate. If he is right then the Judge is indeed at least in league with Pepper, Butler et al. It is strange that we never find out what happens to Pepper... does he live or die?

• 7 months later...

Interestingly in PPDT, remember the scene when they are in the market and at each isle Frank sees someone else, ALister Pepper, Lucy, etc... This is a clear indication to me that they are all one, maybe not literally, but in purpose as if a legion of men. And in the same episode Frank insists more than once that Alister has made the "Work for me" offer before. Pepper seems amused by this and we can interpret Frank as incorrect and making a wrong assumption because of his fragile state of mind, or dead on accurate. If he is right then the Judge is indeed at least in league with Pepper, Butler et al. It is strange that we never find out what happens to Pepper... does he live or die?

My take is that the angel who shot him removed him from earth and sent him back to hell. "You have no idea how painful it is for me to be here..."

• 1 month later...

Legion is an army. a multitude. Legion is the devils army basically. Logion in the bible was the many demons inhabiting the possessed man. They were sent( at their request) into a herd of pigs who upon being possessed, ran into a lake and drowned themselves. "Legion, for we are many"

So the judge, is one of many, or he is possessed by many. I would say one of many. He, Alistair, Lucy, Mabus, the little girl in the monster episode, The little boy that Jordan tangled with, lucy's male counterpart,.... they are all "of" legion. Members of the army, with different roles, different ranks, different powers. LIke an army.