Most disturbing image in Millennium?

Rate this topic

Guest Cookyman

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!NONONONO!NO!NO!!!

Why, se7en, why?!

Chrisnu!! NO!NO!NO! Please, just stop!!!

Why did I have to start this? Why, God, Why?

Legion can take me away to his dark lair before I ever watch that episode again!

:thinking_big: Hmmm...Dave, I think this conversation has helped me to finaly pick a "least favorite episode" after all!!! :p:rofl::devil::devil01:

Guest A Stranger
Back to the topic...  :plain_big:

The most disturbing images for me are contained in the whole episode of 'Well Worn lock.'  This was such an accurate and honest portrayal of a family of sexual abuse and denial, that the truth of just about every scene, line, and image was disturbing.  This is a great example of the MLM writers and production crew being willing to tackle the true plagues of human evil and sickness.

I agree. This episode to me, more than any other during the show's run made good on on Carter's original focus, which was the human evil. This one was extemely disturbing all the way through. It's dones't have gross out scenes that we can laugh about.

Am I the only one who made the conncetion to the name "Bangs" with a sexual act? I think this may have been a conscious decscion to draw focus on just what Mr. Bangs what doing his daughters. Maybe that's just me...

Guest se7en

I agree. This episode to me, more than any other during the show's run made good on on Carter's original focus, which was the human evil. This one was extemely disturbing all the way through. It's dones't have gross out scenes that we can laugh about.

Am I the only one who made the conncetion to the name "Bangs" with a sexual act? I think this may have been a conscious decscion to draw focus on just what Mr. Bangs what doing his daughters. Maybe that's just me...

............despite some who,amazingly,call this episode soapish and melodramatic,children of all kinds of abuse,not just sexual,who are now adults would hearily disagree with that.

This script also won the VERY pretigious PEABODY AWARD which,back then was rarely given to anything on television,the rare exceptions i can recall are 2 for "I'll Fly Away" and 2-for "Homocide:Life On The Streets".

...This was the only time that carter was awarded something this profoundly prestigious for his writing. "Peabody awards" are still very hard to come by and are very prestigious but now they have a yearly category for television while back then they did not which made even more special.

...and a former sufferer of abuse,not sexual though,i can tell you that the mood that episode sets,that tension,that feeling of no air in the room,was palpable in this episode. "The Well Worn Lock" is the real deal in my book.

~se7en :ouro:

Guest A Stranger

............despite some who,amazingly,call this episode soapish and melodramatic,children of all kinds of abuse,not just sexual,who are now adults would hearily disagree with that.

This script also won the VERY pretigious PEABODY AWARD which,back then was rarely given to anything on television,the rare exceptions i can recall are 2 for "I'll Fly Away" and 2-for "Homocide:Life On The Streets".

...This was the only time that carter was awarded something this profoundly prestigious for his writing. "Peabody awards" are still very hard to come by and are very prestigious but now they have a yearly category for television while back then they did not which made even more special.

...and a former sufferer of abuse,not sexual though,i can tell you that the mood that episode sets,that tension,that feeling of no air in the room,was palpable in this episode. "The Well Worn Lock" is the real deal in my book.

~se7en :ouro:

I didn't know about the Peabody award. It's well deserved.

Wow. I was not aware of the Peabody being awarded for the script. I would say it was more than well deserved. You make an excellent point about the realism of the mood and atmosphere of the entire episode. I mean from the family involved to the reactions of those investigating and those trying to help. It is really amazing that the production team was so able to really capture the feeling of what it is like and portray so well. I have seen other fictional depictions of abuse situations in tv and film, but none of them ever truly captured the reality of it like Well Worn Lock.

I did not know about this award either, but it certainly deserved it.

This was one of the things I admired the most about "MillenniuM". That it was unafraid to tackel the "taboo-topic", that everyone else is afraid to. The quote "The Crulest Lies Are Often Told In Silence" is a perfect reflection of this. Most people want to believe that things like this just don't happen, so they turn a deaf ear. This "silent cancer" then is spread, not only by those who do not want to accept that these things are happening, but by the victoms, since no-one ever hears their cries....They finaly grow silent themselves...Just as the mother in that episode had.

Another episode that spoke to me in this way was "The Wild & the Innocent". That was perhaps one of the best-written episodes ever.

I am not a victom of sexual abuse by a parent, but, as a victom of emotional abuse by a parent, as well as a victom of rape, I am glad that someone has the courage to bring these issues out into the open.

QUOTE (A Stranger @ Mar 4 2004, 04:46 AM)

QUOTE (Robbinski @ Mar 3 2004, 10:35 AM)

Back to the topic...

The most disturbing images for me are contained in the whole episode of 'Well Worn lock.'  This was such an accurate and honest portrayal of a family of sexual abuse and denial, that the truth of just about every scene, line, and image was disturbing.  This is a great example of the MLM writers and production crew being willing to tackle the true plagues of human evil and sickness. 

Nope. I "got it" to. I just hadn't said anything before. It seemed so obvious that, I was suprised! Ususaly, they do things more subtely in Millennium & The X Files.

Guest A Stranger

Nope. I "got it" to. I just hadn't said anything before. It seemed so obvious that, I was suprised! Ususaly, they do things more subtely in Millennium & The X Files.

Actually I wasn't sure because it's such a serious episode and such a crude or funny word, "bang."

Actually I wasn't sure because it's such a serious episode and such a crude or funny word, "bang."

Yes, I thought so, too. In fact, the first time I heard that name, I thought m ears were playing tricks on me, so I ran the DVD back to check, but, yes, that was actualy the name!

Guest amnesic

I did not know about this award either, but it certainly deserved it.

This was one of the things I admired the most about "MillenniuM". That it was unafraid to tackel the "taboo-topic", that everyone else is afraid to. The quote "The Crulest Lies Are Often Told In Silence" is a perfect reflection of this. Most people want to believe that things like this just don't happen, so they turn a deaf ear. This "silent cancer" then is spread, not only by those who do not want to accept that these things are happening, but by the victoms, since no-one ever hears their cries....They finaly grow silent themselves...Just as the mother in that episode had.

Another episode that spoke to me in this way was "The Wild & the Innocent". That was perhaps one of the best-written episodes ever.

I am not a victom of sexual abuse by a parent, but, as a victom of emotional abuse by a parent, as well as a victom of rape, I am glad that someone has the courage to bring these issues out into the open.

i didn't like the shooting of the dog in the Wild & the Innocent. I know that you don't see it but you hear it. I always find things like that on TV distasteful as animal cruelty rarely adds anything to a plot

Guest amnesic
Actually, I always felt that MLM was one of the few crime dramas that actually portrayed and exposed animal cruelty for the human evil that it is - in the episode 'Broken World.'  I thought this was another example of the 1013 writers going places that tv and crime drama's rarely go, if ever.  The only other episode of a crime drama that I saw that delt with Horse murder with any heart was an episode of Law & Order during one of the earlier seasons.

yes, but the animal cruelty was central to those plots. it wasn't in The Wild & the Innocent, which is what i find most disturbing.