Chernobyl

Rate this topic

Guest psyconium

Guest The_0ld_Man

All,

Da, In the Russian, the name of this plant today is "polyn" (with a soft 'n'), but the older archaic peasant name is indeed "chernobyl" or "chernobol" or "chernobylnik". This is not likely to be found in a regular dictionary, by the way, but there's lots of references on the Net.

In addition, the whole coincidence of the Bibles use of "wormwood" I think is just that..that the use of wormwood had been popular in many forms back in those times up until today. Wormwood also has an interesting history and makeup that also may be integral here.

What I speak of is "Thujone" For molecular structure go here  https://www.iconbazaar.com/molecules/drugs/psychedelics/thujone.html  Thujone is a hallucinogen that works on the GABA receptors in the brain. This particular hallucinogen is inherent within wormwood and has been known about (perhaps not by name or chemistry) to people for centuries.

Wormwood in a suspension such as alcohol is now known as "Absinthe" since the 1800's. As an aperatif it was sought out becuase of the hallucinations that brought such great artists as Van Goh to places they put down on canvas and paper. As it happens, wormwood also was used as a medicinal herb and in fact when mixed in water makes it bitter and undrinkable..(and absinthe is hard to drink unless mixed with water and sugar..and when done, turns a milky green a la "La Fee Verte")

I believe that perhaps the name of the reactor comes from the place that it was situated? I am under the impression that the surrounding are where Chernobyl is located has been known to grow wormwood...perhaps that is a fallicy..

In any case, it is interesting the paralells of the bible verse and the incident in Russia. MilleniuM picked up on things that had been already there and put them into a great story.

Cheers,

T_0_M

:Owls_Ouro_Large:

Guest Sixth Seal

Of course not. The Bible is as much real-life based as the latest issue of Spider-Man. That accident happened because the Soviets weren't able to do anything right. 'Prophecies' in the Bible are as accurate as Nostradamus.

Which of course is why, 1900 years after their forced dispersal by the Romans, the Jews remain and have returned to their land, why the literal city of Babylon has reappeared on the Euphrates, why we've developed the weaponry to do to ourselves pretty much everything that Revelation predicts, why Europe is combining into a superstate, why the Christian Church has almost completed its Great Comission . . .

. . . all at the same time.

Yep, it's all just a big coincidence.   :eyebrows_big:

And don't get me started on the historical evidence for Christianity.  :smily_tooth_big:   If you wish to believe something else, that's your right, but don't be insultingly dismissive.  

Back to the main thread:

The Chernobyl link is one that I've been fascinated by since I first saw "Maranatha."  I wouldn't exactly call it a fulfillment insofar as Rev. 8:10 indicates that Wormwood is "a great star (that) fell from heaven."  However, since we often call meteors by where they strike, I've sometimes wondered if this passage points to a meteor that would land on the Sarcophagus, kicking up the radioactive material that is entombed within.

The original Greek word is apsinthos by the way.  It refers to a class (as considered by the ancient Greeks) of poisonous plants that includes hemlock, if I recall correctly.

. . . all at the same time.

Yep, it's all just a big coincidence.

Not a coincidence - It's a natural course of life. Feel free to waste your time believing that the time in which we live in is somehow 'special' - just like all believers have believed as long as they have lived.

If you wish to believe something else, that's your right, but don't be insultingly dismissive.

Insultingly dismissive? I'm just stating my opinion about a book - not insulting anyone.

Easy guys...  :angryred:

I agree....

Now, let's all just agree to disagree.....

No-one's been able to sort all this out for thousands of years...so what makes you think WE can?  Let's follow Franks example and let each other believe what thou wilst!

That is all I have to say.....

~Raven Wolf

Guest Sixth Seal

Not a coincidence - It's a natural course of life.

See, I could buy that if we were talking about one, two, or a few threads of prophecy.  But we're not.  We're talking about all of them at once.  

And yes, that is unique in history.  

(Note:  The aforementioned opinion is strictly that of the Sixth Seal and does not necessarily reflect those of the managent, posters, or lurkers of the TIWWA forum.  :bigsmile: )

But on to the real point that I was trying to address:  You don't consider "The Bible is as much real-life based as the latest issue of Spider-Man" to be trollishly insulting to those of us who believe in it?  Heck, it's also insulting to hundreds (if not thousands) of archaeologists and historians who may or may not agree with its message, who may or may not view the Bible as inspired or perfect, but who recognize the historical value of that collection of documents.

Now, if you meant to say that the Bible's prophecies aren't real-life based . . . hey, for the aforementioned reasons, I'll disagree with you, but I won't be insulted.  But the insinuation that anyone who believes in the Bible to any extent at all doesn't have the sense that God gave a five-year-old comic book fan is borderline trolling.