The Beginning.... and The End

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest ZeusFaber
why is Chris Carter so anti-psychic toward Frank's Facility? Didn't Frank's mother have some extra-ordinary ability (in the episode with Darrin McGavin)?

When Chris Carter created Millennium, he was very clear that Frank was not psychic. To firmly establish this from the start, when writing the pilot he made Bletcher ask Frank directly "like a psychic?" Frank's response is a firm, unequivocal "No."

The stuff about Frank's mother passing on psychic ability was all established retroactively in S2. Glen Morgan and James Wong, who had no part in creating the series, remade things in their own image when they took charge. The episode in question, "Midnight of the Century," was written by a pair of writers new to the industry (Erin Maher & Kay Reindl) who were hired and nurtured by Morgan & Wong. They wanted to do things differently.

Hope that clears things up.

(Take a look at this if you're interested in reading more.)

Guest Thomas
When Chris Carter created Millennium, he was very clear that Frank was not psychic. To firmly establish this from the start, when writing the pilot he made Bletcher ask Frank directly "like a psychic?" Frank's response is a firm, unequivocal "No."

The stuff about Frank's mother passing on psychic ability was all established retroactively in S2. Glen Morgan and James Wong, who had no part in creating the series, remade things in their own image when they took charge. The episode in question, "Midnight of the Century," was written by a pair of writers new to the industry (Erin Maher & Kay Reindl) who were hired and nurtured by Morgan & Wong. They wanted to do things differently.

Hope that clears things up.

(Take a look at this if you're interested in reading more.)

Thank you for the lead and details.

Thomas,

You might also enjoy episode three of the Millennium Group Sessions podcast, if you haven't already heard it. Jim gives a sterling review of Frank's 'Gift' with Troy and author, Murv Sellars. In an entire episode devoted to that aspect of the character they discusses those moments in Season One, and more besides, that may indicate something other than a logical or rational facility being on display regardless of the original intent. I enjoyed it, I know many others did too, worth a listen.

Eth

We all are "psychic," for lack of a better term; it's something we develop in our spirit. Maybe I could use the term, "Receptive." The stronger and more enlightened your spirit, the stronger your discernment of other spirits. It can also be a gift of the spirit that you can manifest, but it would come from the Lord and require the wisdom to know how to apply the gift. I will stop here.

Frank said it himself that his gift is something he developed. His mother could have passed on spiritual knowledge and wisdom for him to draw on, but not the gift itself. Everyone's right. Ta da. :clapping:

• 1 month later...
Guest driver8

Wow, interesting discussion about this episode.

I'm really intrigued by who the photographer WAS, and how is he connected the millenium group. That scene where Peter was talking to someone esle in the group made it seem like there is a lot going on behind Frank's back. If so, that is really distressing because now how family is in danger. What purpose does any of this serve to the group or to the photographer?

I also saw the angels as guardian angels that left after the danger was passed.

Couple other (slightly frivolous) thoughts that no-one mentioned yet:

The speaking by Frank at the beginning.... SOOO made me think of Leonard Nimoy saying "Space.... The Final Frontier". alien.gif

The other thing I was thinking as I watched this (as I am new to the show).... what a CRAPPY "season opener"! I understand that the previous season Finale left the abduction , etc and some loose ends needed to be tied up. Also that some aspects of the family, the millenum group are really opened up in this episode. So maybe the writers were a bit "stuck". But if you had missed season one, heard about the show and wanted to give it a try, this season premiere would just leave you lost and bewildered. It was an episode that depended on previous knowledge of the show, but did nothing to really introduce the show in any way. Just about everything about "the group" really should have had an introduction of some sort for new viewers rather than simply evolving the conspiracy and potential sinister aspects. If you stuck through that to the end of the episode, it ended on a down note. What's there to keep people watching? I felt this episode advanced some important plots in the continuum of the show, but didn't exactly showcase it's best features.

One of the things that makes me NOT watch a TV show is if it is so "serialized" that you need to have watched all other episodes to get it. I don't have the ability to be home during the evenings reliably (I work shifts), so it's hard to put in that investment to a show if you have to know so much from the previous episodes to understand what's going on. I find shows like that get a good "cult following", but are they amenable to new viewers? Now that millenium and others are available on DVD, it's a lot easier to get to know the show a bit.