I finally did it...... and it wasn't that bad.

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Yep, I finally got around to giving "Well Worn Lock" another try. I was going to get back into S1 sequence with 522666, but when I went to select the first option, I saw "Well Worn Lock", and it just seemed so much more enticing. This is not to say I didn't enjoy 522666, but when you consider the fact that I have seen it a half a dozen times or so, "Well Worn" seemed like the way to go, given that I have rarely watched it, and didn't feel qualified to comment on it during the last discussion.

I hate to seem so wishy washy, but once again, I find that it wasn't as mediocre as I remembered, although I am still not ready to label it a perfect 10. Maybe a 7.5 would be in order. The first thing I noticed about this episode was that my memory regarding Frank was not accurate. I thought it was one of those episodes where he is on vacation and you never even get a glimpse of him, but Frank actually does pop in and out of the episode, and it is almost like Frank and Catherine reverse roles in this episode with Catherine being the focus and Frank lending support, both emotionally and professionally.

"Well Worn Lock" gives us a break from the "greater evil" and "Legion" concepts, but at the same time deals with the worst kind of evil, the desecration of innocence, and the breaking of ones spirit. If there is one thing I have no tolerance for, it is the abuse of children, and when it is carried out by the very adults who are supposed to be their protectors, it makes it that much worse.

The story is very well written, and I have only recently been informed that it was written by Chris Carter. I can see where some people might give it even higher marks than I have, especially in my past reviews.

It would have been interesting if they had gotten into the childhood of the father, as many times there is a cycle of abuse that continues on and on in these cases. This is not excusing the people who commit these acts as a result, but you have to wonder how some of these same offenders would have turned out, given a different upbringing and conditioning.

Paul Dooley is amazing in this episode, and really gets to show off his acting chops, after some of the good, but one dimensional roles I have seen him in in the past. He does, however, also show some comic talent with my favorite role of his, Jim Baker (Samanthas' father) in 16 candles. I love the conversation they have about life when Sam is lying on the couch and agonizing over Jake Ryan. Oh, and I promise, this will be the last time that I make comparisons between Millennium and 16 Candles.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Yep, I finally got around to giving "Well Worn Lock" another try. I was going to get back into S1 sequence with 522666, but when I went to select the first option, I saw "Well Worn Lock", and it just seemed so much more enticing. This is not to say I didn't enjoy 522666, but when you consider the fact that I have seen it a half a dozen times or so, "Well Worn" seemed like the way to go, given that I have rarely watched it, and didn't feel qualified to comment on it during the last discussion.

I hate to seem so wishy washy, but once again, I find that it wasn't as mediocre as I remembered, although I am still not ready to label it a perfect 10. Maybe a 7.5 would be in order. The first thing I noticed about this episode was that my memory regarding Frank was not accurate. I thought it was one of those episodes where he is on vacation and you never even get a glimpse of him, but Frank actually does pop in and out of the episode, and it is almost like Frank and Catherine reverse roles in this episode with Catherine being the focus and Frank lending support, both emotionally and professionally.

"Well Worn Lock" gives us a break from the "greater evil" and "Legion" concepts, but at the same time deals with the worst kind of evil, the desecration of innocence, and the breaking of ones spirit. If there is one thing I have no tolerance for, it is the abuse of children, and when it is carried out by the very adults who are supposed to be their protectors, it makes it that much worse.

The story is very well written, and I have only recently been informed that it was written by Chris Carter. I can see where some people might give it even higher marks than I have, especially in my past reviews.

It would have been interesting if they had gotten into the childhood of the father, as many times there is a cycle of abuse that continues on and on in these cases. This is not excusing the people who commit these acts as a result, but you have to wonder how some of these same offenders would have turned out, given a different upbringing and conditioning.

Paul Dooley is amazing in this episode, and really gets to show off his acting chops, after some of the good, but one dimensional roles I have seen him in in the past. He does, however, also show some comic talent with my favorite role of his, Jim Baker (Samanthas' father) in 16 candles. I love the conversation they have about life when Sam is lying on the coach and agonizing over Jake Ryan. Oh, and I promise, this will be the last time that I make comparisons between Millennium and 16 Candles.

Very accurate review I would say; nicely done. This is indeed a chilling episode, but as you mentioned, not in the usual 'MillenniuM' way. I too was fascinated with the father's character; to be honest, I never really figured him out. He played it with such absolute perfect ambiguity that in some ways it almost struck me as 'otherworldly'; in other words, almost like he was possessed and his reactions were not quite human. Definitely Weird...

And, BTW, 'Sixteen Candles' ROX! (I REALLY love the 'Thompson Twins' song at the end too!!!) Although she is a tad young in this, one of her earlier films, Molly Ringwold was one who could literally take my breath away... (please forgive the side thought here) but about 4 or 5 years later she was in a little known film called 'Fresh Horses', and let me tell you, I have RARELY ever seen a woman look more stunning... I mean, absolutely 'kick you in the stomach and you are NEVER friggin' gonna recover' GORGEOUS!!! Okay, I'm definitely going right over the edge here so I will stop... :yes: (Isn't it funny too, she doesn't look ANYTHING like Emma either :nope: )

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Very accurate review I would say; nicely done. This is indeed a chilling episode, but as you mentioned, not in the usual 'MillenniuM' way. I too was fascinated with the father's character; to be honest, I never really figured him out. He played it with such absolute perfect ambiguity that in some ways it almost struck me as 'otherworldly'; in other words, almost like he was possessed and his reactions were not quite human. Definitely Weird...

And, BTW, 'Sixteen Candles' ROX! (I REALLY love the 'Thompson Twins' song at the end too!!!) Although she is a tad young in this, one of her earlier films, Molly Ringwold was one who could literally take my breath away... (please forgive the side thought here) but about 4 or 5 years later she was in a little known film called 'Fresh Horses', and let me tell you, I have RARELY ever seen a woman look more stunning... I mean, absolutely 'kick you in the stomach and you are NEVER friggin' gonna recover' GORGEOUS!!! Okay, I'm definitely going right over the edge here so I will stop... :yes: (Isn't it funny too, she doesn't look ANYTHING like Emma either :nope: )

LOL, yes, even though I have seen it countless times, I still can't seem to pass up the comic masterpiece 16 Candles when I run across it. It's funny, the first time I saw it, I was just about the same age as the characters, and now, watching it 22 years later, it manages to remain genuinely funny and even touching at times. I agree, Molly had that beauty about her, and then something extra on top of it. Believe it or not, I still have not seen "Fresh Horses", other than bits and pieces. It has simply been on too many peoples "worst movie of all time" lists for me to take the time. Maybe I will watch it one of these days, just to see how bad it is. Then again, I rented Blair Witch 2, just to see how bad it was, and ended up loving it and buying the DVD.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
LOL, yes, even though I have seen it countless times, I still can't seem to pass up the comic masterpiece 16 Candles when I run across it. It's funny, the first time I saw it, I was just about the same age as the characters, and now, watching it 22 years later, it manages to remain genuinely funny and even touching at times. I agree, Molly had that beauty about her, and then something extra on top of it. Believe it or not, I still have not seen "Fresh Horses", other than bits and pieces. It has simply been on too many peoples "worst movie of all time" lists for me to take the time. Maybe I will watch it one of these days, just to see how bad it is. Then again, I rented Blair Witch 2, just to see how bad it was, and ended up loving it and buying the DVD.

Hmmm, 'Blair Witch 2'... Interesting... Is it indeed better than part one? That's the only one I've seen. Also, as far as 'Fresh Horses' goes; with Molly Ringwolds supernatural beauty aside, the story is done extremely well; I would say it was her best dramatic performance ever! The writing, atmosphere, mood, and story are done VERY well. And this is for a straight DRAMA for which it is EXTREMELY rare for me ever to feel that strongly about a drama. Her character is very complex, coming from an abused background; and the film deals with the issue of a rich, priviledged guy falling in love with a girl from the wrong side of the tracks and his 'loyalty' and the trueness of his love. The ending packs a powerful punch and makes it's point better than I've ever seen it. Funny, it's REALLY ironic that this film follows a very similar theme to, was it 'Pretty in Pink', or one of her other films but done in a COMPLETELY adult, mature fashion, as opposed to the younger set although very entertaining John Hughs type version. HIGHLY recommended!

Guest SouthernCelt
Hmmm, 'Blair Witch 2'... Interesting... Is it indeed better than part one?

Well, I thought 2 beat 1 by a wide margin, for watchability if nothing else. The first one's 'candid' photography (camera shake, etc.) left me with a headache. That sort of thing is fine for a short piece but not a full movie-length feature. The second one didn't try to make you think it was a reality film and shot everything a lot more like a professionally done film.

My only comment on Molly Ringwold is that the last thing I was drawn to watch with her in it was "The Stand" and, of course, my interest in Stephen King stories was the draw, not her being cast. In that she had a very wholesome, All American Girl look and I'm sure was very attractive to viewers of her age group. At my age, I look on such roles more like the daughter I've never had.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hmmm, 'Blair Witch 2'... Interesting... Is it indeed better than part one? That's the only one I've seen. Also, as far as 'Fresh Horses' goes; with Molly Ringwolds supernatural beauty aside, the story is done extremely well; I would say it was her best dramatic performance ever! The writing, atmosphere, mood, and story are done VERY well. And this is for a straight DRAMA for which it is EXTREMELY rare for me ever to feel that strongly about a drama. Her character is very complex, coming from an abused background; and the film deals with the issue of a rich, priviledged guy falling in love with a girl from the wrong side of the tracks and his 'loyalty' and the trueness of his love. The ending packs a powerful punch and makes it's point better than I've ever seen it. Funny, it's REALLY ironic that this film follows a very similar theme to, was it 'Pretty in Pink', or one of her other films but done in a COMPLETELY adult, mature fashion, as opposed to the younger set although very entertaining John Hughs type version. HIGHLY recommended!

Yes, I really loved the Blair Witch 2, but don't necessarily recommend it to everyone. It is nothing like Blair Witch 1 and, although there is plenty of use of hand held cameras in Blair 2, it is not presented as a "discovered footage" story, but more in the form of a traditional movie. It's hard to say which one I like better, 1 or 2, but I think it all depends on which one I have most recently watched. After watching 2, part 1 doesn't seem quite as appealing, but then I watch 1 and love it and suddenly part two doesn't seem as good. They are both great though in different ways. As for Fresh Horses, I will have to try to dig that one up at the local video store. Everything I have heard about it has been along the lines of the critics hating it, and it being a complete bomb at the box office. This is usually not a good combination, but for $1, I'll take my chances. The way you describe it makes it sound pretty good, and Molly was still extremely yummy at that point. I have seen her in some recent appearances, and she just doesn't really look that good for some reason. I can't quite pinpoint it, but it seems like in the most recent role I saw her in, she just kind of looks unnatural, like she had too much work done on her face or something. Maybe she just hasn't aged well, after all, she is pushing 40.