522666.... naughty?

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I have to admit, one of the things that drew me to Millennium is that it took television to new depths of darkness, creepyness, and the exploration of evil than we had previously never seen on TV. This show was as gritty and unflinching as anything I had seen at the time, and every time I tuned in, I knew it would not let me down, and that I would probably see something I had never seen on TV before. However, and I will try not to be crude here, but in watching this episode tonight, it occurred to me that some of the facial expression we saw early in the episode from Dees, added to the discovery of the napkin in the garbage and the dialogue that went with it, that we were probably, in a subtle way, covering some ground that was rarely covered on prime time television, and then the scene shortly after where Dees is reliving the bombing and you hear the heavy breathing, well, it brings home the message that all this was "exciting" for the killer, loud and clear.

At this point in the series, I was marveling at the fact that this show just stayed at this incredible level of excellence and never let up, but little did I know that the next three episodes, while still being pretty darn good, would be a progressive step down every week from the opening 5 masterpieces. The reason I kind of prefer season 2 is that, while MM S1 was still the best thing going on TV at the time (along with the X-files), it stayed at this lower level for about 7 episodes in a row after 522666, and this gives S2 the edge. I have probably discussed all of these 7 installments before, and they are by no means poor or even below average, relative to the other stuff that was on at the tube at the time, but I also think that "Kingdom Come" through "Loin Like A Hunting Flame" were mediocre by MM standards, with "Kingdom Come" and "The Wild and the Innocent" being the best two of that group. However, just when I though the series had peaked early, we went on a wonderful run with "Force Majeure through "Broken World", and I was convinced that this show was destined for great things for some time to come. Season 2 confirmed this, and season 3 wasn't too shabby either.

Going back to 522666, I was again struck by how brilliant, intelligent, and complicated the writing was, and I can remember thinking the same thing when the episode originally aired. I don't say that with the attitude of "geez, it's about time someone came up with a show for my superior intellect" but rather from a perspective of someone watching something that was a challenge to understand and marveling at how brilliant the show was from the point of view of a person with moderate intelligence. Still though, even being of moderate intelligence, much of the other programming out at the time was in insult to ones intellect.

This episode also had some memorable scenes, and I had forgotten that this one contained the famous "Dead Eye Dicks Only" sign on the door. Millennium also continued to give us a nice view of the forensics and technology side of things and 522666 contains some memorable dialogue between Frank and Dees as Frank creates his profile on Dees. Morgan and Wong also provide us with a great surprise ending as Dees controls his own execution and no explosives are later found in either car. I think this one is good enough that I would agree with the 5 out of 5 that the Millennial Abyss gives it. Like I said though, in my humble opinion, the next 7 episodes are only 3's and 4's out of 5.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
I have to admit, one of the things that drew me to Millennium is that it took television to new depths of darkness, creepyness, and the exploration of evil than we had previously never seen on TV. This show was as gritty and unflinching as anything I had seen at the time, and every time I tuned in, I knew it would not let me down, and that I would probably see something I had never seen on TV before. However, and I will try not to be crude here, but in watching this episode tonight, it occurred to me that some of the facial expression we saw early in the episode from Dees, added to the discovery of the napkin in the garbage and the dialogue that went with it, that we were probably, in a subtle way, covering some ground that was rarely covered on prime time television, and then the scene shortly after where Dees is reliving the bombing and you hear the heavy breathing, well, it brings home the message that all this was "exciting" for the killer, loud and clear.

At this point in the series, I was marveling at the fact that this show just stayed at this incredible level of excellence and never let up, but little did I know that the next three episodes, while still being pretty darn good, would be a progressive step down every week from the opening 5 masterpieces. The reason I kind of prefer season 2 is that, while MM S1 was still the best thing going on TV at the time (along with the X-files), it stayed at this lower level for about 7 episodes in a row after 522666, and this gives S2 the edge. I have probably discussed all of these 7 installments before, and they are by no means poor or even below average, relative to the other stuff that was on at the tube at the time, but I also think that "Kingdom Come" through "Loin Like A Hunting Flame" were mediocre by MM standards, with "Kingdom Come" and "The Wild and the Innocent" being the best two of that group. However, just when I though the series had peaked early, we went on a wonderful run with "Force Majeure through "Broken World", and I was convinced that this show was destined for great things for some time to come. Season 2 confirmed this, and season 3 wasn't too shabby either.

Going back to 522666, I was again struck by how brilliant, intelligent, and complicated the writing was, and I can remember thinking the same thing when the episode originally aired. I don't say that with the attitude of "geez, it's about time someone came up with a show for my superior intellect" but rather from a perspective of someone watching something that was a challenge to understand and marveling at how brilliant the show was from the point of view of a person with moderate intelligence. Still though, even being of moderate intelligence, much of the other programming out at the time was in insult to ones intellect.

This episode also had some memorable scenes, and I had forgotten that this one contained the famous "Dead Eye Dicks Only" sign on the door. Millennium also continued to give us a nice view of the forensics and technology side of things and 522666 contains some memorable dialogue between Frank and Dees as Frank creates his profile on Dees. Morgan and Wong also provide us with a great surprise ending as Dees controls his own execution and no explosives are later found in either car. I think this one is good enough that I would agree with the 5 out of 5 that the Millennial Abyss gives it. Like I said though, in my humble opinion, the next 7 episodes are only 3's and 4's out of 5.

Dude, you are seriously waxing quite eloquent these days; I'd better get off my sorry @ss, you're putting me to shame! :yes: Honestly, your writing and truly observant comments and comparisons of episodes lately have been quite good! It's like your mind has released it's floodgates or something.

I guess those espresso colonics must REALLY be helping! Not to imply of course that your mind is located in any specific place... :nope:

More oregano...?

Guest gmcp

I really loved 522666. It had great cinematography, fantastic writing, and was very suspenseful. You make a lot of good points about the episode.

But on your argument about Season 2 vs Season 1, I have to invert your opinion. I thought Season 1 always stayed at the upper level, and Season 2 was often variant with its quality. My point is that it all depends on what you prefer. Based on your statement, I would suspect that you prefer that your shows have a dramatic mythology to them. I prefered the style of Season 1, simply because it was driven by incredible writing and suspense, not necessarily an ongoing plot. That's just my opinion. Each season has its lull, each season has it's good and bad. Your preference is just based on your preference.

But also agreeing with your point about the first 5 episodes of the series being utterly fantastic, I think that was one of the show's problems. It was too good from the start! A show like the X-Files was excellent in its first season, but I personally think as the mythology grew, the writers figured out what they could actually do with the episodes, and they increasingly got better. In Millennium, the beginning pushed all of the limits, hit all the right spots, and were impeccable (for the most part). It's hard to maintain that type of quality over several years. I think the writiers did amicably, but it must have been difficult for the Fox executives.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Dude, you are seriously waxing quite eloquent these days; I'd better get off my sorry @ss, you're putting me to shame! :yes: Honestly, your writing and truly observant comments and comparisons of episodes lately have been quite good! It's like your mind has released it's floodgates or something.

I guess those espresso colonics must REALLY be helping! Not to imply of course that your mind is located in any specific place... :nope:

More oregano...?

Yes, I do tend to get a little long winded when I restart a new season from the beginning, and thoughts tend to flood my mind as I am watching, but blame it on Millennium for being so thought provoking. :oneeyedwinK I really enjoy to read the response and perspective of those who make it to the end of my posts with unglazed eyes. :oneeyedwinK I don't know about the "espresso colonics", although I could have used them the other day when I had that omelette smothered in cheese :eyes: , but I do know that the vodka and tonics help, and I recommend them as an all purpose drink of champions. It saves me a ton of money on medication, it's like a relaxant, antidepressant, sleep aid all in one. :bogie:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I really loved 522666. It had great cinematography, fantastic writing, and was very suspenseful. You make a lot of good points about the episode.

But on your argument about Season 2 vs Season 1, I have to invert your opinion. I thought Season 1 always stayed at the upper level, and Season 2 was often variant with its quality. My point is that it all depends on what you prefer. Based on your statement, I would suspect that you prefer that your shows have a dramatic mythology to them. I prefered the style of Season 1, simply because it was driven by incredible writing and suspense, not necessarily an ongoing plot. That's just my opinion. Each season has its lull, each season has it's good and bad. Your preference is just based on your preference.

But also agreeing with your point about the first 5 episodes of the series being utterly fantastic, I think that was one of the show's problems. It was too good from the start! A show like the X-Files was excellent in its first season, but I personally think as the mythology grew, the writers figured out what they could actually do with the episodes, and they increasingly got better. In Millennium, the beginning pushed all of the limits, hit all the right spots, and were impeccable (for the most part). It's hard to maintain that type of quality over several years. I think the writiers did amicably, but it must have been difficult for the Fox executives.

Yes, excellent points, including those about the X-files (although they did run out of steam sometime during season 6). Like you said, it all comes down to personal preference, and there was really something to keep everyone happy at some point throughout the entire series.

Yes, excellent points, including those about the X-files (although they did run out of steam sometime during season 6). Like you said, it all comes down to personal preference, and there was really something to keep everyone happy at some point throughout the entire series.
MIB...you are spot on about the "intent" of the facial expressions and various groanings, etc...dont you remember the scene in the parking garage where the cop with Frank says "My own preference was to imagine girls who wouldn't date me."? This was in reference to the wad of tissue found in the trash can that contained semen from Dees...

4th Horseman..

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
MIB...you are spot on about the "intent" of the facial expressions and various groanings, etc...dont you remember the scene in the parking garage where the cop with Frank says "My own preference was to imagine girls who wouldn't date me."? This was in reference to the wad of tissue found in the trash can that contained semen from Dees...

4th Horseman..

Yes, I remember that. I thought it was funny, but if I remember correctly, that one liner didn't even get a grin from Frank. I will have to take note of it next time because there are a few times throughout the series that Frank breaks down and acknowledges some of the off color humor of other detectives with a hint of a grin or laugh. I like the scene in the pilot where the detectives in Bletches office are making light of one of the murderers that Frank caught. They ask him how the "prepared" the victims, and Frank doesn't even crack a smile and says "In a skillet with potatoes and onions". For some reason that reminds me of "The Hand of SS" and that sidesplitting scene with the German detective where Frank tells him "He has a very colorful vocabulary". LOL, so many funny moments like this, especially in S2. I wish they would have found a new "Roedecker" for season 3.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Yes, I do tend to get a little long winded when I restart a new season from the beginning, and thoughts tend to flood my mind as I am watching, but blame it on Millennium for being so thought provoking. :oneeyedwinK I really enjoy to read the response and perspective of those who make it to the end of my posts with unglazed eyes. :oneeyedwinK I don't know about the "espresso colonics", although I could have used them the other day when I had that omelette smothered in cheese :eyes: , but I do know that the vodka and tonics help, and I recommend them as an all purpose drink of champions. It saves me a ton of money on medication, it's like a relaxant, antidepressant, sleep aid all in one. :bogie:

:signlol: You're a good sport! I liked the 'unglazed eyes' comment. Seriously though, excellent posts on the episodes lately! :yes:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
:signlol: You're a good sport! I liked the 'unglazed eyes' comment. Seriously though, excellent posts on the episodes lately! :yes:

Thanks, I enjoy your posts as well, even though they leave that aftertaste of oregeno in my mouth. :oneeyedwinK