MillenniuM Referrences to The X-Files

Rate this topic

I have been meaning to start this thread for awhile, and keep forgetting to do it.  Well, today I remembered.

Okay, I will start it off.  In Sense and Anti-Sense, Frank is watching a security video of Patient Zero "ranting" at the security desk of, I think, a Seattle newspaper.  At some point in Patient Zero's "ranting" he says, "The truth is not out there!  It's in here!"  Pointing to himself.

:laugh_big:

There sort of a double wink/dig here on the X-Files.

The first part is obvious, "The truth is NOT out there."

The second part may not be.  I think, when he says, "It's in here!" while pointing to himself, it is also a little reference to Skully saying, "The truth is in ME," refering to her cancer, I believe.

I know many others, but I would rather everyone jumps in with thier own "spottings" of these references.

I'm sure we all remember Peter Watts stumbling upon a suspicious Morley cigarette butt, the Cigarette Smoking Man's brand of choice, lying on the floor of the Millennium Group's most secret basement storage space during "The Time is Now."  

Coincidence?  Inquiring conspiracy theorists think not!

There is another one in Sense and Anti-Sense.  When the Cab Driver and Patient Zero get to the Afro-Sentinal newspaper offices, the Cab Driver is trying to get the Editor to do something about Patient Zero's situation.

Cab Driver: "I'm tellin' you, someone is opressin' this man!"

The Editor:  "Do you know how many times I here that - 'Brother' - Latinos say it's the Asians, Asians say it's the Blacks, Blacks say it's white people, white people say it's aliens!"

:laugh_big:

I think that is the perfect joke on the politically correct X-Files, yet it's predominantly white audience, cast, and crew.  Hell, the only main Afro-American American character was X - and he was more or less a bad guy!  Kind of ironic, when the rest of the series strives to be as inclusive as possible in just about every other way.

Guest Wellington

Coincidence?  Inquiring conspiracy theorists think not!

At first I smiled at this scene. The room was so much like the storage room in the X-Files that I almost expected it! However I would greatly have prefered a more discreet wink, like an easter egg in the background. I think that a character like cancer man has nothing to do in MM. In fact I think that both shows are incompatible in some way, even though they share a lot. The whole XF alien invasion has little to add to MM, and on second thought I feared that some people might mix the two arcs, thus ruining the whole mood conveyed through MM. The Group is MM's cancer man. But anyway I enjoyed it as a wink...

Regards

If memory serves me, I seem to recall an episode of MM in which someone is walking down a hall in some appartment buiding, and behind one of the appartment doors, you could CLEARLY hear Scully's voice. :thinking_big:  I just can't remember which one.  Can anyone remember that?

~Raven Wolf

Ah, yes, Raven Wolf.  The episode is the third season "Human Essence."  While in the city of Vancouver, appropriately enough, Emma Hollis is passing down an apartment building hallway.  From within the first apartment in the hall we can hear a television, the volume on which has been turned up extremely loud.  As Emma prepares to knock we can hear Agent Scully scream from inside, "Mulder!  Do we have it?  Do we have the kill switch?!?"

Needless to say, the resident was immersed in watching The X-Files episode "Kill Switch."  Such an obvious audio clip certainly throws those of us who believe Mulder, Scully, and Frank Black exist in the same universe off.  Surely the producers were inviting us not to take such matters of continuity too seriously.

:thankx-big: Dixon!  I thought I remembered it being Emma, but I didn't want to say it without being sure.  It's been a while since I've seen that one, and I look forward to season 3 when I get the rest of MM on DVD-R! :praying_big:

~Raven Wolf :smokin:

I remember when I first noticed both the cigarrette, and the audio of "Kill Switch."  At first, the Morley on the floor of the MLM Group storage facility sort of confused me.  I mean, I knew it was a hint about the presense of CSM, but I also had misgivings about the mixing of the genres/universes of MLM and The X-Files.  However, somewhere along the way, these misgivings dropped away, and I began to just appreciate the fictional "somehowness" or all inclusiveness of the fictional "extreme possibilities" of all the 1013 shows.  Sure, the 2 shows don't "dove-tail" very well, but I eventually realized that continuity and consitancy of theme were not a requirement for appreciation.  Plus, each series within themselves strayed from their own continuity of direction and consistancy at times.  So, I just came to appreciate this as just a part of the fun and nature of 1013.  Once I sort of made this leap, as it were, I was really excited to see that cigarrette on the floor.

And the "Kill Switch" audio I just got a real kick out of.  I just love when the 1013 shows do this.  There were X-Files episodes with Harsh Realm on the TV, and, in one case, the XF episode featured an actor from Harsh Realm watching the episode!   :laugh_big:  I just love these little winks and nudges!  I think they are clever, funny, and show that the 1013 crew was really trying to speak to and joke around with the fans.

Scott

Guest David Marx

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned the "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" dig.  

You know, the one where the TV Censor breaks down the door to the set of the Alien Autopsy and the Scully and Mulder lookalikes are standing there?

Man, the Music of Black Flag and making fun of the X-Files - what more could you want from an episode? :thumbsup_big:

-Rob_