HighPlainsDrifter

Rainbows and Lightning

When a rainbow formed in the sky people stopped and stared at the natural wonder.

But then lightning sparked across the evening panorama as two of nature's most spectacular phenomenon created an unusual alliance.

See more incredible storms and lightning pictures here

The clash of weather was seen above the affluent city of Fort Smith, in the Southern state Arkansas.

One onlooker said: "It was awe inspiring. The lightning made a huge rumbling sound and when you looked up there was also this incredible rainbow forming on the horizon."

The intracloud lightning, known as an anvil crawler, is the most common form of lightning, with the electrical charge contained within a single cumulonimbus cloud.

Lightning often occurs during heavy storms while rainbows are generally formed after the rain has stopped, making an appearance of both simultaneously relatively rare.

The actual electric charge in a flash of lightning comes from particles from the sun sent out in the solar wind which gather in the outer atmospheric layers before creating a strike.

post-569-1152847707_thumb.jpg

Scientists are still divided by what actually causes lightning, with one theory suggesting falling droplets of ice and rain become electrically polarised as they fall through the natural electric field in the Earth's atmosphere.

This would explain why lightning often accompanies storms and heavy rain. The same droplets also cause the rainbow, when light from the sun is refracted by the water to cause a spectrum.

That's an amazing shot! lightning is one of the most beautiful natural occurances, in my opinion (well, when it's not right outside your airplane... but thats another story). I've never heard of lightnight around a rainbow, that must have been quite a sight.

WOW!!! That's breath-taking!

(hmmm....wonders what the Selfosophists would have made of that one! Very upbeat, I'd say! Even better than the silver lining to every cloud!) :hands2trans::2handstransp:

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Walkabout said:

seeing Raven Wolf's post makes me sad that such a special person was loss do to medical incompetence  :down:

Yes, she was and always will be special to us.  So dearly loved and now missed.

Dedicated to her ~

Image result for full circle rainbow

Image result for full circle rainbow

Edited by Earthnut

I honestly miss Erin so much. So frustrating we never got to say goodbye to her. Every time I see and read her posts, content, articles on the main site etc it breaks my heart. Hope her family are doing okay.

We lost one friend too many. Please, no more.

:ouro: