Rainbows and Lightning

When a rainbow formed in the sky people stopped and stared at the natural wonder.

But then lightning sparked across the evening panorama as two of nature's most spectacular phenomenon created an unusual alliance.

See more incredible storms and lightning pictures here

The clash of weather was seen above the affluent city of Fort Smith, in the Southern state Arkansas.

One onlooker said: "It was awe inspiring. The lightning made a huge rumbling sound and when you looked up there was also this incredible rainbow forming on the horizon."

The intracloud lightning, known as an anvil crawler, is the most common form of lightning, with the electrical charge contained within a single cumulonimbus cloud.

Lightning often occurs during heavy storms while rainbows are generally formed after the rain has stopped, making an appearance of both simultaneously relatively rare.

The actual electric charge in a flash of lightning comes from particles from the sun sent out in the solar wind which gather in the outer atmospheric layers before creating a strike.

post-569-1152847707_thumb.jpg

Scientists are still divided by what actually causes lightning, with one theory suggesting falling droplets of ice and rain become electrically polarised as they fall through the natural electric field in the Earth's atmosphere.

This would explain why lightning often accompanies storms and heavy rain. The same droplets also cause the rainbow, when light from the sun is refracted by the water to cause a spectrum.

• Elders (Admins)

That's amazing! I love storms! :kickin:

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

That's an amazing shot! lightning is one of the most beautiful natural occurances, in my opinion (well, when it's not right outside your airplane... but thats another story). I've never heard of lightnight around a rainbow, that must have been quite a sight.

• 11 years later...

This is awesome ~

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

15 hours ago, Walkabout said:

seeing Raven Wolf's post makes me sad that such a special person was loss do to medical incompetence  :down:

Yes, she was and always will be special to us.  So dearly loved and now missed.

Dedicated to her ~

Image result for full circle rainbow

Image result for full circle rainbow

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

I honestly miss Erin so much. So frustrating we never got to say goodbye to her. Every time I see and read her posts, content, articles on the main site etc it breaks my heart. Hope her family are doing okay.

We lost one friend too many. Please, no more.

:ouro:

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.