Collateral Damage: Taylor's Escape

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

Guest betweenthelines

I re-watched 'Collateral Damage' yesterday, and the scene when Taylor Watts kills Swan struck me as odd. Not because she killed him (that part made sense), but because we often saw her strapped in a chair or on a table. She also looked pretty weakened by the injection Swan gave her.

Did anyone else find it ludicrous that a dying Taylor would have managed to undo the straps on that chair, or am I just overanalyzing that scene?

Guest ein042
I re-watched 'Collateral Damage' yesterday, and the scene when Taylor Watts kills Swan struck me as odd. Not because she killed him (that part made sense), but because we often saw her strapped in a chair or on a table. She also looked pretty weakened by the injection Swan gave her.

Did anyone else find it ludicrous that a dying Taylor would have managed to undo the straps on that chair, or am I just overanalyzing that scene?

Not to mention the terror of the ordeal.

But you get the feeling Dad made sure she had extra ordinary training to deal with threats outside of the average mugger. Including her getting Marsden to loosen the straps.

And maybe there was a bit of added adrenaline from a suppressed anger that Dad got her INTO this mess in the first place.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I would have to review it to really offer an opinion, but even without watching it in the past few months, I have to doubt that even a healthy man would be able to snap the neck of a healthy, fit young man, seemingly with a flick of the wrists. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems as though they stretched the boundaries of creative license here. I know there is such a thing as adrenaline, but when you factor in that she was on the brink of death, it is a little hard to swallow. However, I still think it's an outstanding episode.

Guest SouthernCelt

Since I don't know the physiology at play in a neck-snapping scene like this, I can't really comment on whether it could be as easily done as was shown. The point I got from it was that Taylor had obviously been given martial arts training that included 'extreme prejudice' techniques. It was then a logical jump to the conclusion that Peter was responsible for her having been so trained, either because he feared for her safety (with good reason apparently) or (maybe and) he was preparing her for Group membership when she matured.

Guest MrCox

This is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw Taylor killing Swan. For nearly 40 minutes you just had to feel sorry for this girl, but at the end all she evoked was pure fear. This sudden change is what struck me most about this episode.

Guest betweenthelines
have to doubt that even a healthy man would be able to snap the neck of a healthy, fit young man, seemingly with a flick of the wrists. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems as though they stretched the boundaries of creative license here. I know there is such a thing as adrenaline, but when you factor in that she was on the brink of death, it is a little hard to swallow. However, I still think it's an outstanding episode.

That was my main problem with her escape: she was so close to death. I would have accepted the scene if Taylor didn't look like she'd keel over at any given moment. I guess that antidote worked quicker than expected?

Despite that, I did like this episode. I loved the ending when Taylor confronts her father about the Group's actions, only to receive silence as a response. Wonder if the two ever made up...?

And I noticed that this episode had a few actors who would achieve varied levels of fame: James Marsters ended up on "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "Smallville", Jacinda Barrett starred in movies such as Ladder 49 and Poseidon, and Brendon Fehr (Nick) ended up on "Roswell".

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
That was my main problem with her escape: she was so close to death. I would have accepted the scene if Taylor didn't look like she'd keel over at any given moment. I guess that antidote worked quicker than expected?

LOL, yes, that's the good thing about TV, antidotes work almost instantly to reverse the effects of what a person is infected by, and there are never any long term effects from the toxin or invader that has almost killed the person who was exposed to it. Like I said though, still a great episode, even if the end was a little over the top. I suppose it is also possible that Taylor had the presence of mind to embellish or partially fake the progression of the nerve agent to get Swan to let his guard down.

• 2 years later...

I watched this ep last night and got the feeling that she was playing him by acting sicker than she was. That made him feel a bit of compassion for her and loosened the straps. Taylor then frees herself and takes him out.

LOL, yes, that's the good thing about TV, antidotes work almost instantly to reverse the effects of what a person is infected by, and there are never any long term effects from the toxin or invader that has almost killed the person who was exposed to it. Like I said though, still a great episode, even if the end was a little over the top. I suppose it is also possible that Taylor had the presence of mind to embellish or partially fake the progression of the nerve agent to get Swan to let his guard down.

I wish Robotussin worked that quickly. :oneeyedwinK

Everything about that scene was pure action TV, but I can live with that now and then because of the personal emotion involved within the episode (and all of season three, really), where you start to see cracks in Watts' facade, the humanity of Frank, etc.