Collateral Damage: Taylor's Escape

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

I like the characterizations explored in this episode, as well as the convergence of certain story bits (marburg virus, millenium style executions from skull and bones), but there was also a lot that became problematic for me. In the penultimate episode of season 2, we are shown the Marburg virus acting almost instantaneously; who can forgot that macabre Mother's day family dinner as the chickens fly the coop? Here, however, the virus acts at a glacial pace, conveniently fitting in enough suspense for the story  beats to act out. We can justify this in universe as a variant on the virus, but clearly the explanation is apparent: the timing was jimmied to fit the needs of the episode pacing.

Another thing that bugged me was the further nefariousness of the Millennium group. Not only are they performing mass executions, but testing chemical agents on American soldiers. In season 2 we were introduced to the Old Man, who seemed like a right old dude. I can't believe he was approving all of these things, but they happened on his watch, so do we then believe he was simply ignorant of all this skulduggery? The factionalism of the Owls and the Roosters was kids gloves compared to the truly evil stuff they're revealed to have been doing in season 3. It seems like such a moot point, a petty argument whether the millennium is religious or scientific when they're otherwise occupied with this insane nefarious violence.

AND ANOTHER THING! How did the evil dude who was with Watts (is that Mabius? They haven't said his name yet and he seems so much like a grunt) get away with sniping the military dude. The FBI is gonna want to know where the bullet came from that grazed their suspect. It strains credulity to imagine that when Peter Watts is asked that they're going to accept it was just Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits. It's not a difficult inference for law enforcement to make that it was a Millennium group operative taking the law into his own hands. But is there no fallout?

Anywho, script could have been tighter, but I like seeing Watts explored deeper, and Frank navigating the politics of this case.

Edited by Jabbapop

First, for those interested, here's the link to the main site's page on "The Marburg Virus and Prions."  Interesting read.

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/episodes/articles/223/18/the-marburg-virus-and-prions/

I'm sure there were a lot of things that went on that The Old Man did not know about.  As we know, you couldn't really trust everyone in the group, and it appeared to me that he was more of a caretaker of things, etc., that the group wanted hid, than someone with a final decision.  There was a group of leaders that would meet, and they, to me, are the ones in control.  There is no way The Old Man could be in control living in Bucksnort.  He was considered the spiritual leader of the group, and even though "his say is prine over all others," I doubt that every member of the group honored this.  The actual leader of the group is the Elder, who makes the decisions.

Group info ~ https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/analysis/the-millennium-group/

Here's s snippet ~

THE MILLENNIUM GROUP
For Millennium, series creator Chris Carter based the Millennium Group on the real life Academy Group. The Millennium Group is a fictional dedicated private investigating consultancy. The Millennium Group consists of a diverse mixture of personnel, drawn from 'elite' hand-picked ex-law enforcement personnel. Season Two's writers re-defined the Group as dating back to ancient times, a mystical cult which grew out of a millenniallist Christian sect.

The Millennium Group has strong ties to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), bolstered by its modern re-birth at the hands of J. Edgar Hoover (a member of the original Millennium Group), Clyde Tolson and their assistant Lily Unser.

I personally found the information on the group's interest in evil fascinating.

THE INTEREST IN EVIL
The Group struggles to understand evil, in both biblical and scientific contexts. Biblically, they research cases where a supernatural evil is assumed present to understand true evil. Scientifically, they promote the study of the minds of serial killers, even going so far as to recreate some. The Group continues to fund research into bio-genetic science that may someday allow a lifeform to be physically separated into "good" and "evil" entities.

Mabius is one of those characters that always keeps you guessing.  Here's his profile, which is also a very interesting read.  Maybe this will answer some of our questions.  It's been awhile since I've read this information myself.  We can only assume Mabius was his name, and of course killing was his game.  I did find it intersting that his faction, occupation, rank, etc., is "Legion."  He appeared in only 4 episodes, but look at all the havoc he created (below).

MABIUS' MILLENNIUM CHARACTER PROFILE

It's unknown to what capacity Mabius served The Millennium Group, but he was obviously a menacing threat to Frank and Emma. He appeared in Fingus, Maine, as Emma unearthed the skulls of Cheryl Andrews and other victims (Skull and Bones).

When Peter Watts located the building where Eric Swan had taken his daughter Taylor, Mabius was lurking in the shadows (Collateral Damage).

Mabius attempted to assassinate Dr. Steven Takahashi, but the doctor died before he could. And although he placed a gun at Frank's head, he simply stole the red lacquer bowl Takahashi was carrying and left without incident (Bardo Thodol).

Frank's psychiatrist Dr. Luanne Chase was murdered by Mabius who had approached her as Special Agent Boxer and then literally transformed himself - a hint he was more than human (Seven and One).

Profile courtesy of Millennium FAQ.

MILLENNIUM CAST, CHARACTER OR CREW CREDIT
Mabius was a character in the television series Millennium.

VIOLENCE MARKERS
Mabius was responsible for the attempted murder of blonde mother in house explosion during the Millennium episode The Innocents (#MLM-301).

Mabius was responsible for the attempted murder of Elderly Woman (Mildred Carson) during the Millennium episode Exegesis (#MLM-302).

Mabius was responsible for the attempted murder of Frank Black during the Millennium episode Exegesis (#MLM-302).

Mabius was responsible for the attempted murder of Frank Black during the Millennium episode Skull and Bones (#MLM-306).

Mabius was responsible for the attempted murder of Special Agent Emma Hollis during the Millennium episode Seven and One (#MLM-319).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of little girl in house explosion during the Millennium episode The Innocents (#MLM-301).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of woman in car during the Millennium episode The Innocents (#MLM-301).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of little girl in car during the Millennium episode The Innocents (#MLM-301).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of Mary during the Millennium episode Exegesis (#MLM-302).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of blonde woman in van during the Millennium episode Exegesis (#MLM-302).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of Hotel Clerk during the Millennium episode Bardo Thodol (#MLM-317).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of Harbor Cop during the Millennium episode Bardo Thodol (#MLM-317).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of captain during the Millennium episode Bardo Thodol (#MLM-317).

Mabius was responsible for the murder of crewman during the Millennium episode Bardo Thodol (#MLM-317).

On 2/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, Jabbapop said:

What I find weird is the character of Samiel in Bartered time is played by the actor Eric Mabius, while the character of Mabius is played by actor Bob Wilde. Trivial, I know, but still a little confusing. :-X

That is a tad weird.  Never noticed it before.  :19:

You KNOW Frank Watt's taught his daughters some mad  self-defense skills.  They probably knew how to fight, shoot, hotwire cars,  everything it takes for survival.  He considered himself in a holy war.  He was going to be sure his kids had every tool at their disposal to survive.  The only thing he didn't teach them, is what he was up to with the group. I think his wife knew, or knew enough and agreed not to ask questions.  But when Taylor asks her Dad at dinner about  the soldier, if what he said was true  or whatever it was she asked....  Wow!

She asked her dad if Swan was telling her the truth about what happened during the Gulf War.

Emma determines that Swan used to call Art Bell’s radio talk show-a forum for conspiracy theorists-using the pseudonym "Thomas Paine." Bell cooperates with the FBI investigation. He hosts a program devoted to the topic of the Gulf War and soldiers who were exposed to biochemical agents. Swan calls the program and claims that while serving in the Gulf War, he received orders to fire a biological weapon at U.S. soldiers (as part of an effort to test the weapon’s effectiveness on fully inoculated soldiers wearing protective gear). Swan followed orders... and killed an entire platoon. The U.S. government blamed the incident on the Iraqis. Bell then introduces Frank to his listening audience. Frank describes for Swan the manner in which his own wife died. Swan recognizes the symptoms. He tells Frank that Catherine died of the Micro plasma Flavi Virus. Swan believes his order came not from the U.S. Army, but from a group that does what "the government can’t do." Swan then pulls an antidote-filled syringe from a refrigerator.

4 hours ago, Earthnut said:

She asked her dad if Swan was telling her the truth about what happened during the Gulf War.

That look Between him and Mrs Watts  when she asked that, was very telling!

Perhaps, the troops were inoculated against the  Marburg PrP variant, but what they got was the Mycoplasma flavivirus instead?   I found that part confusing too.  Frank and Peter were inoculated against, and Lara was given a syringe with an inoculation that was labeled Marburg prp variant  vaccine...Marburg is Ebola, less deadly than some variants though.  Prions are proteins that tell healthy proteins to fold abnormally in the brain  like in mad cow or Kuru. Mycoplasma is a bacteria that lacks a cell wall around it's membrane, so antibiotics aren't that effective against it.  Flavivirus is mosquito borne, Zika, Yellow fever, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, West Nile Virus  Would Frank not have caught on to the fact that he was vaccinated against Marburg and Catherine allegedly died of it, and  that is a whole other different species than Mycoplasma Flavivirus?  Just a nagging thought I've had about it all.

I simply MUST watch these episodes again.  Collateral Damage is an episode I've only seen once or twice... I forget that it's there, but ti's such a good episode, inconsistencies or not!  I mean C'mon, they got ART BELL to  appear in it! LOL  I used to listen to his radio show now and then, late at night.  It was 4 hours  long and covered all the  conspiracy theories, and paranormal!