The M Word

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

Guest ZeusFaber

I've only seen people mention this in passing, rather than go into much detail. What are people's general opinions? Did you enjoy it? Does it stand up to Darin Morgan's previous body of work? Would you have liked to have seen it shot?

I myself found it pretty amusing, with some good running gags. A little derivative of his past work, but still in the same league, and I very much wish it could have been comitted to film.

Thoughts?

I liked it very much. It was hilarious, satiric, absurd and smart. It really amazed me. Well, it's Darin Maorgan at his best. ;)

And I think my favorite quote from The M Word is this:

GUY (V.O.)

At first, I watched a reality show

about people who had been on other

reality shows, competing with each

other to get on a new reality show.

That whole Guy/Monster's confession is just hilarious and kind of sad. I mean, he was actually right: why should we do all these stupid things? :)

Guest ZeusFaber

I would say that "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and the two Jose Chung episodes were Darin Morgan at his best, but "The M Word" was certainly very good too.

Yeah, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and 2 Jose Chung's episodes were the masterpieces, but The M Word had a great potential, too. We can only imagine how great would it be if the episode were filmed. I'm curious about one thing. Did they consider someone for the role of Guy/Monster? Did they think about someone who could play Guy? Probably not, but still it would be cool to know. :) Those guys from 1013 always had fantastic casting choices for the supporting roles.

Guest Laurent.

I read in a lot of interviews that Morgan's script always turned out better on film than on script. For the original Jose Chung episode, a good part of the crew weren't able to even understand the script (this includes director Rob Bowman)!

I could almost kill to get someone to film this! :devil:

Guest Moriarty

Well, I have heard about The Night Stalker but never saw any episode of it. They did not release it where I live and it never hit cable also. From what I read in this thread is that this particulary episode, The M Word, has never been filmed or so? Where do you guys find that script then? I read in Wikipedia that it is available in a pdf-format on the dvd of Night Stalker. Does anyone have it on his hard disc? Sure would like to read it.

Yeah, The M Word has never been filmed. :( I believe Night Stalker was cancelled the same day Darin Morgan finished his script. :(

And yes - The M Word script is available on the Night Stalker DVD.

By the way, Tony Wharmby (The X-Files Seasons 8 & 9 director) was going to direct The M Word.

Guest ZeusFaber
Yeah, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and 2 Jose Chung's episodes were the masterpieces, but The M Word had a great potential, too.

Absolutely. I think "War of the Coprophages" might have been slightly better, in terms of my own prefferences anyway, but I do think "The M Word" would probably have turned out superior to "Humbug" and would have been quite reminicent of "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me".

I'm curious about one thing. Did they consider someone for the role of Guy/Monster? Did they think about someone who could play Guy?

Good question. I'm not sure, but since they were about to start prep it's conceivable that some early casting work could have gone on. It would be very interesting to know who they might have had in mind.

Guest ZeusFaber
Well, I have heard about The Night Stalker but never saw any episode of it. They did not release it where I live and it never hit cable also. From what I read in this thread is that this particulary episode, The M Word, has never been filmed or so? Where do you guys find that script then? I read in Wikipedia that it is available in a pdf-format on the dvd of Night Stalker.

As BlackOil says, it was unproduced but provided in PDF on the DVD set along with another episode, "Ascendent" (which wasn't nearly as good, IMO).

I highly recommend you pick up the DVD set from a Region 1 store, as it can be obtained relatively cheaply now. All you need is a multi-region player or equivalent hack. It's worth it if you ask me.