Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

I have started this a couple of weeks ago on our Mark Snow Facebook Page. I will upload a track (or more tracks together) from different scores by Mark Snow every week, calling it "Snow File of the Week". I think it's a nice opportunity to get to know Mark's music better, besides THE X-FILES or MILLENNIUM. So I start the Snow Files with the track "A Message of Faith" from his score to the 1997 tv thriller "Night Sins". Of course, the score has the familiar sounds, that we already know from Mark's work on THE X-FILES. "Night Sins" has a beautiful main theme, which gets its finest presentation in this track. The album was released by BSX Records and is limited to 1000 copies. Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

I had a vague memory that Mark Snow had classical training, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. He attended the Julliard School of Music, which is a prestigious school.

I don't know that much about music, but apparently music in a minor key sounds sad, and music in a major key sounds happy, and sometimes composers can transition from one to the other. I'm not able to listen to music and identify the keys and the transitions, but I think the description of "haunting" does describe what Mark Snow is doing in expertly manipulating our emotions. Whenever I listen to his music, it often sounds sad but with an underlying motif of hope. It does take talent and expertise to be able to do that.

• Elders (Moderators)

Got this one very cheap on ebay, signed too!

I'm only interested in the xfiles-esque & millennium-esque sounding scores, I'm sure your helpful posts with help me to discover more!

I think they will, too. ;) As far as I'm concerned, most of his work for thrillers and stuff like that sounds like music from The X-Files and MillenniuM, since this is his sound. But he also did some very beautiful orchestral work, too. But have no fear, more "music in the key of X" will come along...;)

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow File of the Week: "Love Theme (aka "Rose's Theme")/Memories" from "Conundrum". While still working on the second season of the X-Files, Mark Snow composed the score for this 1995 tv thriller. It's got some of Mark's familiar X-Sounds, combined with haunting female vocals. The album was released by Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies. Enjoy!

• Like 1