Questions about the virtual seasons

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

Since I'm going to get a lot more free time during the summer I wanted to start reading the virtual seasons available here. But there's a few things that I wanted to know, so instead of wandering from topic to topic, I'll ask them all here:

1- Does the virtual seasons use all the majors characters of the show or mainly new ones?

2- Is there a main storyline from the show evolving in each seasons or are the episodes disconnected (killer-of-the-week)?

3- Who's doing it? (I'm mainly interested to know which TIWWA members participated in this)

4- Is VS5 made by the same team that made VS4?

5- I also saw that there was an alternative season 3, are VS4&5 related to the alternative or to the actual season 3?

Finally, how good is it?

P.S. I'm sorry if there's already a FAQ section on the virtual seasons somewhere but I didn't find any.

Edited by Laurent.

Guest Moriarty
Since I'm going to get a lot more free time during the summer I wanted to start reading the virtual seasons available here. But there's a few things that I wanted to know, so instead of wandering from topic to topic, I'll ask them all here:

1- Does the virtual seasons use all the majors characters of the show or mainly new ones?

2- Is there a main storyline from the show evolving in each seasons or are the episodes disconnected (killer-of-the-week)?

3- Who's doing it? (I'm mainly interested to know which TIWWA members participated in this)

5- I also saw that there was an alternative season 3, are VS4&5 related to the alternative or to the actual season 3?

Finally, how good is it?

P.S. I'm sorry if there's already a FAQ section on the virtual seasons somewhere but I didn't find any.

Hi Laran.

I think you will have all you questions answered by Zeus Faber once he reads them.

Take care.

Guest ZeusFaber

The blog entry that the Old Man kindly linked to will be pretty useful to you, but I'll answer your questions here nontheless.

To the best of my knowledge, VS4 uses Frank and Emma as show regulars, with Jordan and some other recurring characters also retained. They also introduce a new character called Ryan Frost.

VS5 uses Frank and a new character called Brad Locke as show regulars, with Jordan and other recurring characters such as Ardis Cohen also featured. Two other major characters from the show are also used, but I wont mention them by name in case you want to avoid spoilers.

I wont speak for VS4, but VS5 strikes the same kind of balance that the real show struck in terms of an evolving storyline vs. standalone episode. We like to think we have a healthy mix, just like the real show, with some episode about isolated killers, other episodes about wider world issues, some featuring the Millennium Group, etc.

I act as showrunner for VS5, but the initial idea to do it was from TIWWA member <O>. A handful of other members contributed to the early development of the project, but the only one to write anything for the season was AStranger. An initial story idea from HighPlainsDrifter was transformed into a script by Angelo Shrine. Angelo has since signed up here, as has our art director JT Vaughn who is responsible for our main title sequence and all our print ads and banners.

No. We have no association whatsoever with the team responsible for VS4. We treat their work as canon, as a season that follows on rather than replaces it, but we don't exactly do sequels to their stories or anything like that. You might consider the relationship between VS5 and VS4 equivalent to the relationship between the real S3 and S2, or likewise the real S2 and S1. We try to maintain that idea of a unique identity that still works in colloquy with everything that has come before.

Neither VS4 nor VS5 have anything to do with the alternate season 3. We're a continuation of the actual show, not an alternative to the show. Besides, as far as I know the alternate season 3 never really came to fruition, and only exists as three or four stories, not a full season.

Finally, how good is it?

That, of course, is entirely a matter of opinion! All I would say is that we're not the kind of fanfictions you see where people just write random fantasy scenarios in prose. All episodes are written in professional screenplay format and are produced in the same manner of organisation that real TV shows operate by.

Guest Laurent.

That's great... I'll probably start the virtual seasons in a few days; and I'll post my opinions if anyone is interested. I have to say that this (fan-fictions, virtual series, etc...) is a first for me but I really like the fact that yours has a real screenplay approach to it. Doesn't seem to be quite like what I usually have in mind when I hear the words fan-fiction. I can't wait to take a look at it.

Guest ZeusFaber

That's exactly right. We always say, we're not fanfiction. VS is a different ballgame.

It will be very interesting to hear your opinions when you come around to reading the episodes. I look forward to it.