Final invasion

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

Frank Spotnitz just posted this question/answer on his blog:

COLONIZATION IN 2012 OR 2013?

Did you and the writers decide early on that alien colonization will be set in 2012 or was it a last-minute decision? As late as Season 5, in "Patient X," the second elder (first elder? err... the chunky fellow) in the consortium, said that colonization will happen in 15 years. That episode aired in 1998, so that would put the colonization date some time in 2013.

Rosy

San Francisco, CA

I don't recall what the Elder said precisely in "Patient X," but I do remember that when I first joined the show in Season 2, Chris was already imagining the alien invasion would take place in 2012.

Frank Spotnitz

I remember when I bought all the seasons on dvds and went through the mythology with my friends, I was also amazed by this statement in season 5 because I already knew the 2012 date. There is also a scene in Fight the Future where Mulder learns that it will happen during Christmas vacation, where most people are away from there regular homes and jobs. I thought that was also a nice hint... it did seem as though Carter still thought the series would only last 5 seasons. Because then you have 4 more seasons of twists and turns until The Truth, and by then we pretty much knew everything except the exact date which did not bear as much weight as Carter would have liked. I'm pretty sure he intended the revelation to be a big shocker, and that would have been the case after 5 years, but nine may have been too long for the mythology.

Anyway, I did not imagine that Carter had this particular date planned in his head for so long as the second season! I know he said that he always knew how the series would end, but I thought the particular date was some sort of improvising. I'm still glad he pulled it off before someone leaked the spoiler or before the 2012-thing became too "popular".

There's a 2012 mention in season 2 episode "Red Museum" which was written by Chris Carter.

When Mulder and Scully fisrt come to the Church of Red Museum they listen woman's words as she reads them while Odin, Church leader, types them:

"Today is a blessing from our lord and master, who awaits his flock in this time, the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. Eighteen earth years from the beginning of the new kingdom. The guides speak through me today as messengers of the word that we may be free from death and the passage into spirit. As the acceleration continues, we, the enlightened, must bring the teachings of the skills for survival to mankind. Repeat in prayer..."

Red Museum was first aired in 1994.

1994 + 18 = 2012.

So yeah, Chris was imagining it from the very beginning (well, almost) and he was so ahead of the time. I mean, back in 90's no one really knew about this 2012 date and now this date is almost everywhere, it's kinda popular. Just yesterday I watched a TV documentary about this 2012 thing. Back in 90's it was still something really new. Hehe, it's kinda cool that Chris was one the first to bring this date to attention. ;)

Edited by Blackoil

Yeah, that was actually a shock for me when I rewatched Red Museum (some time after The Truth) and realized that they're talking about 2012!

By the way, Red Museum is one the most underrated XF episodes ever, IMHO. :)

And I was also quite surprised when I realized that supersoldier story arc is actually connected to some episodes from Seasons 1 and 2. I mean, not the whole story arc but elements of it -- they were connected for sure.