Music for final scene

Rate this topic

Guest soylentblack

Guest soylentblack

I see that the song accomanying Frank and Jordan running down the school hallway in the finale is called "We're All Shepherds." I'm wondering if there is more to this beautiful song than what's shown on screen. (I would love to have the sheet music for it.)

Even on its way out, this show was well-crafted in every detail. That scene is so impactful for me. For Frank, it's running away with and trying to protect the only thing that matters, the only remaining thing he has to love; an act of preservation. For Jordan, it seems to be the opposite...having fun, running hand-in-hand with her dad; that perfect, simple relationship of love. That's what I hear in that music. That wistful sense that she knows it hasn't and won't always be this way. She's beginning to understand that she has an extra sense, like her dad, and there's an innocent melancholy to the music that expresses that perfectly. Gets me every time...

soylentblack

Guest RodimusBen

As far as I know, there are two versions of this song available, one from the 2003 iTunes exclusive soundtrack and one from the La-La Land Records soundtrack. The piano segment is not extended though. I'm not sure where you read that it's called "We're All Shepherds;" it's called "Drilling" on my CD (not saying you're wrong).

Guest soylentblack

Unless I read it wrong, I got the title from the Millennium Music Guide posted on this site. But thanks for the additional info.

sb

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

You're correct on both counts, its hauntingly beautiful and the perfect way to conclude the series (I never have dry eyes watching the final scene), and also the MMG does refer to it as 'We're all Shepherds'.

I think that's the name that the music was referred to way back when in the mists of time, before the CD's were released.

I will update the music guide database with the tracks titles as they are now known. Thanks for the push, prod and poke!

Ben, I just listened to both versions, I think you are right the piano segment is not extended, but the version on the Limited Edition CD features that creepy musical introduction before hand.

Guest RodimusBen
Ben, I just listened to both versions, I think you are right the piano segment is not extended, but the version on the Limited Edition CD features that creepy musical introduction before hand.

Right... I think I actually prefer the iTunes version since the piano solo stands so well on its own.