Ancient World Maps

Rate this topic

Guest CyberDude

Guest CyberDude

I found a nice italian site with a large number of old map images.

Remember the controversial Piri Reis map?

What do you folks think about this subject(and lost continents subject on the side of it)?

Ancient maps site

Guest CyberDude

The whole thing is indeed fascinating and tickles imagination. However nowadays there are few people that actually think Piri Reis was drawing some lost lands at the bottom of South America. Cartography in those days was fairly good but I'd say only in the areas they travelled most (Europe, round Africa, etc) so it seems rather plausible to me to accept that he couldn't really know the shape of the bottom of South America. The projection he used showed weird shores of Antarctica too so I think it's pretty much a drawing error based on scarce information.

Guest fledgling666

love checking out anything ancient, especially items of discovery such as maps. read the second link and have to admit, i agree with the conclusion, though the writer's attitude led me to believe that he believed otherwise until at least half-way through. piri re'is looks like just a bad drawing of south america, or maybe even central america, the upper bulge being the yucatan penninsula, the lower coastline being columbia, etc.