Japanese Season 1 DVD boxsets on Ebay

Rate this topic

Guest xrichx

Oh, these box sets have been the subject of much discussion in recent months.  I picked up my own set sometime last year.  Check out the Millennial Abyss article regarding them for further facts and analysis...

The Japanese DVDs

.....if you like poorly recorded dvd's,with 2-episodes MISSING,then this set is for you! seriously,though the packaging is top notch but the seller tries passing them off as official when they are merely poorly recorded dubs. this set once went for almost triple what they are charging now. kinda tells you something about the quality right there? :suspect:

~se7en :ouro:

Guest teotwawki

am i missing something here?  MM was released on laser disc?  i think i'm one of the six remaining people in the country who still owns one of those contraptions... where might i get my paws on this?  or even the DVD-Rs you mention?

:ouro:

~teotwawki~

Guest teotwawki

thank you.  i went searching after i posted this and found info about them elsewhere at the mlmdesktop.uk...

PMing them later this morning...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LauraKrycek

I have no idea why it never occurred to me to mention this, through all the talk there was about the validity of these DVDs and why they would be released in Japan but nowhere else.

Most American shows, when exported to Japan, go straight to video and DVD.  They have enough shows of their own without ours taking up all their airtime, but at the same time they are generally huge fans of American media.  When I went to Japan this past summer, I went with my host family to a book\movie\music store that also had a large movie rental section.  There were three or four aisles dedicated to American series alone!  I glanced over them to see if I could find MM, but I didn't have time to look at all of them.  I did see "Dark Angel" and "Ally McBeal", though (neither of which I ever cared to watch).  Later, talking with my host mom, I leared that she is a huge fan of "ER" and rents the episodes of that very often.

While I didn't find MM there, I did see TXF movie and showed it to them, telling them I had "big big love" for it (hey, neither of us spoke much of the other's language).  Somehow, though they'd never seen it, when they asked me what it was about, I only remember making a "how do I explain this?" face, and they said "Aliens?"  We left just after that, but two or three days later I came home after work to find my parents watching it!  They asked me all sorts of questions like "What are those?"  (Bees)  and "They are lovers?"  (NO -- I didn't get into it, but hey, I was always a noromo, and they weren't at the time of the movie).

Anyway, that's as much as I can contribute to the Japanese DVD discussion.  I don't even have a DVD player, so they're out of the question for me.  Savin' money for Cornwall, baby!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...yeah,there is a HUGE market for american shows in japan on home video. the entire runs of both MM and XF was released on laserdisc,and the XF was also rleased on dvd. sadly,like elsewhere,MM has yet to be released in japan or anywhere else. the $49.99 sets are actually from hong kong-and recorded from a home-dvd-recorder as there are mutiple shots of the words "stop" "play" and "pause" from the laserdisc player,as are customers have no doubt noticed on ours from time to time.-(hong kong is well known as the bootleg capitol of the modern world)-the eps are taken from the same laserdiscs that i am fortunate to own. unfortunately these boneheads decided to encode the dvds in a "horrible" bitrate so they put 4-5-eps per dvd. and then decided,for the hell of it(??)-to leave out 2-episodes,one of them a critical one,and last,but certainly not least,they then tried passing them off as "official"-(and then when pressed claimed they were press copies.....uhhhhhh,i did not realize how many members of the press were waiting with bated breath for a MM-S1-box set with 2-episodes missing :~) when he/they-(or MR.HONG KONG as i call him)-first came out with these purposefully deceptive sets they were charging $229.99 -(yikes!  ) and since it's been a year now i guess he did not have the means to aquire the other 2-seasons on japanese laserdisc. -(which for totally selfish reasons both my wife and i are extremely glad of  )

~cheers!

se7en :smokin:  :ouro:

• 2 weeks later...