Bird Flu H5N1 Confirmed In The UK

Rate this topic

The Old Man

• Elders (Admins)
A swan found dead in Scotland has tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu.

The Scottish Executive has extended surveillance zones in Scotland to include 175 properties with 3.1 million birds, as well as free-range poultry.

The dead mute swan was found in Cellardyke, Fife, eight days ago. Fourteen other birds are being tested.

The H5N1 virus does not currently pose a large-scale threat to humans as it cannot pass easily between people.

But experts fear the virus could mutate to gain this ability, and in its new form trigger a flu pandemic, potentially putting millions of human lives at risk.

Scotland's Chief Veterinary Officer Charles Milne, announcing confirmation of H5N1, said a surveillance zone was being extended to 965 sq miles (2,500 sq km).

The zone contains 175 registered premises, with in total 3.1 million poultry.

About 48 are free-range premises with 260,000 birds.

A total of 14 birds are being checked for bird flu from Scotland including 12 swans and two other species.

Mr Milne said: "There is no indication that any of these are positive."

Farmers are being ordered to house their birds where possible, or separate them from wild birds.

However, the Scottish Executive said it would be "disproportionate" to house poultry UK-wide.

Officials were also banning the gathering of birds and enhancing their surveillance.

An initial 1.8 mile (3km) protection zone was set up around Cellardyke on Wednesday, surrounded by a six-mile (10km) surveillance zone.

The infected bird, a native UK breed, was collected from Cellardyke harbour on 30 March - a day after it was reported by a resident.

Mute swans are considered to have a "stable" population in Scotland at this time of year, but Mr Milne said he "cannot entirely rule out" that the swan had migrated.

Source: https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4882946.stm

Well I think it was only a matter of time before it happened. Prepare for tabloid front pages predicting armageddon and blowing it out of all proportion...

I'm stocking up on...

hensip.jpg

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Well I think it was only a matter of time before it happened. Prepare for tabloid front pages predicting armageddon and blowing it out of all proportion...

I'm stocking up on...

:signlol::rofl: LOVED the product ad!!!

Heh heh..., please see my previous post concerning our Great Hunter 'Dick' over here and his lovely ties to THE pharmaceudical company in question... :yes: It's just TOO damn easy when you are second to the President and can influence mandated health policy...