NASA tracks cataclysmic asteroid

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

I think I posted something on this last year so this isn't really a new story. I really like the name they've given the asteroid, though. Anyone who watches Stargate SG-1 will understand...

Mark your calendar for Sunday, April 13, 2036. That's when a 1,000-foot-wide asteroid named Apophis could hit the Earth with enough force to obliterate a small state.

Guest gmcp
Mark your calendar for Sunday, April 13, 2036. That's when a 1,000-foot-wide asteroid named Apophis could hit the Earth with enough force to obliterate a small state.

So, can we officially start the "This Is Who We Are message board pool" on which state gets obliterated? :devil:

My vote goes to Texas. It's got a big enough surface area to likely be hit... and its nice and centralized on the continent. :wtf:

Guest SouthernCelt
I hope not, that's where Wayne lives (I think!). :cry:

Nope, I'm in Mississippi. I have Louisiana and Arkansas to absorb the blow (sorry, Gunslinger).

Guest gmcp
The asteroid, which is about 320 metres in diameter, ranks a 1 on the Torino scale. Zero means an object has no chance of hitting Earth and a 10 means certain impact. At one point, Apophis rated a 4.

They have a scale for everything now :headhurts:

• 2 months later...