Abyss Ratings for "Force Majeure" through "Lamentation"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Feel free to opine on each of your choices too.

I think the Abyss pretty much nailed this group, and I voted "just about right" on every choice. If I really wanted to be a tweaker though, I would have probably given Sacrament a 4 out of 5 and Force Majeure a 5 out of 5, but they would probably both fall somewhere in between. I'll give them both a 4.5 and call the Abyss rating close enough.

Guest ZeusFaber

I like to use half options too. I didn't really want to devalue the likes of "The Thin White Line", "Sacrament" and "Covenant", but I just can't put them in the same league as "Lamentation".

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I like to use half options too. I didn't really want to devalue the likes of "The Thin White Line", "Sacrament" and "Covenant", but I just can't put them in the same league as "Lamentation".

Yes, this is why any time I am rating something, and not bound by the Millennial Abyss ratings, I like to use a scale of 1 to 10. This way, Lamentation could be given the 10 that it deserves, and the others mentioned could be given a 9 or so.

Guest ZeusFaber

Personally, I don't like using a system out of 10 because of the psychological resistance to giving anything lower than a 5. People seem much more capable of giving a 2 out of 5 than they are a 4 out of 10, for example, which is why I find a system out of 10 to be misleading. Somehow, 1.5 out of 5 sounds a lot less scathing than 3 out of 10.

Everyone has their own preferences though.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Personally, I don't like using a system out of 10 because of the psychological resistance to giving anything lower than a 5. People seem much more capable of giving a 2 out of 5 than they are a 4 out of 10, for example, which is why I find a system out of 10 to be misleading. Somehow, 1.5 out of 5 sounds a lot less scathing than 3 out of 10.

Everyone has their own preferences though.

I can see your point. On the flip side, a 10 out of 10 just sounds so impressive. With a 5 out of 5, you always wonder if someone is rounding up, or just didn't have to heart to drop to a 4, but a 10 makes it clear that perfection has been achieved. Also, if you hate an episode and want to really tear into it, a 1 out of 10 is the ultimate blow you can deliver, and has that extra bite to it on a scale of 1 to 10. :oneeyedwinK

• 1 month later...
Guest limebunneh
I can see your point. On the flip side, a 10 out of 10 just sounds so impressive. With a 5 out of 5, you always wonder if someone is rounding up, or just didn't have to heart to drop to a 4, but a 10 makes it clear that perfection has been achieved. Also, if you hate an episode and want to really tear into it, a 1 out of 10 is the ultimate blow you can deliver, and has that extra bite to it on a scale of 1 to 10. :oneeyedwinK

Lamenation is easily the best. Most of the other ratings are about right. Sacrament is more a 4 out of 5 and Force Majeure is just about a 3 I think. It's interesting enough, a great guest performance, but the plot is just odd and goes nowhere. A load of clones are surviving the apocalypse by staying in a hotel with a shingled roof - EH??

I prefer to rate things out of 10. It gives me a more variety of ratings. I get what you mean about people being more generous because of it. But I dunno, it doesn't bother me.

• 1 year later...

I agree with the rest of you. Limiting a scale from 1 to 5 isn't all that impressive. To achieve a 10/10 is an honor not many can achieve in my books, but Lamentations definitely would have, same thing with TTWL.

The only reason I enjoyed Force Majeure is because Brad Dourif (aka Grima Wormtongue from LoTR, the voice of Chucky in Child's Play 2&3) was in it. I think he's one of the few actors who can take a guy who is supposed to be odd and make him creepily odd, but makes you love the character all the more...

Edited by Who Am I?