Abyss Ratings for "Human Essence" through "The Sound of Snow"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Feel free to opine on each of your choices too.
I only have very slight differences with most of the reviews on The Abyss...

i guess i am one of the few who harbors a little fanfare for "Human Essence" - i certainly thought it was better than "A Single Blade of Grass"...

"Collateral Damage" - best scene was the end where Peter's daughter confronts him about his involvement with Eric Swan...

"The Sound of Snow" - one of the stronger epis of S3...the visit to the yellow house, Catherine's fading to nothing at the end still gets to me...it was a nice way to "tie up some of the loose ends"

4th Horseman...

Guest ZeusFaber
I only have very slight differences with most of the reviews on The Abyss...

i guess i am one of the few who harbors a little fanfare for "Human Essence" - i certainly thought it was better than "A Single Blade of Grass"...

I agreed with most of these too. Like you, I think "Human Essence" is a little better than its reputation. It's not a great episode, but it's sometimes unfairly labelled due to its reputation rather than studying it on its own terms. It's one of those episodes where its crime is being dull, rather than featuring any objectional story-points or mischaracterisation.

"The Sound of Snow" - one of the stronger epis of S3...the visit to the yellow house, Catherine's fading to nothing at the end still gets to me...it was a nice way to "tie up some of the loose ends"

I agree, and it also manages to salvage some of the more questionable elements of the scenario we are left with at the end of "The Time is Now".

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I agreed with all of these right up until "Sound of Snow", which I thought was a 5 for sure. I suppose I wouldn't quibble with someone who wanted to give Human Essense a 2, but that's as high as I will go on that one. :oneeyedwinK

Guest betweenthelines

To be honest, I didn't think 'Human Essence' was awful. It was no worse than, say, 'Closure' or 'TEOTWAWKI'. It's definitely not the best of "Millennium" but it's a decent way to waste 44 hours.

'Omerta' I'm not sure about. It's definitely a different one, that's all I can say...

I don't remember 'Borrowed Time' too well; may have to rewatch it soon. I loved 'Collateral Damage'; the scene when Taylor confronts her father was gripping, and I kind of liked Art Bell's cameo. I thought it was ridiculous how a dying Taylor was able to kill Swan so quickly, but that's the episode's only flaw in my opinion.

Loved 'The Sound of Snow'. My favorite part was when Frank goes back to Ezekiel Drive (sad as hell, though). Also liked the scene when Catherine told Frank that he made the right decision. Also sad, and kind of eerie too.

• 4 months later...
Guest Pencil Machine Operator
To be honest, I didn't think 'Human Essence' was awful. It was no worse than, say, 'Closure' or 'TEOTWAWKI'. It's definitely not the best of "Millennium" but it's a decent way to waste 44 hours.

hmmm... 44 hours of Human Essence ... now that's a hell i wouldn't even inflict on Lucy Butler.

As for the Sound of Snow, I felt it was the best s3 ep by miles, recapturing the very non-generic mood of the best s2 eps (as opposed to a lot of the s3 eps, which were pretty much flailing around in search of every crime-thriller cliche they could find, at least in the season's early stages).