Hey Hey

Guest pentak

Just a "hello" from an original fan - I was very pleased to see the DVDs available & I'm currently working my way through season 3 (which has a lot more good episodes than I remember).

Glad to find this forum & thanks to all involved!

Guest Moriarty
Just a "hello" from an original fan - I was very pleased to see the DVDs available & I'm currently working my way through season 3 (which has a lot more good episodes than I remember).

Welcome on the boards Pentak! Lots of information and ideas about the series here. Enjoy your stay here.

Guest betweenthelines

Season 3's weird. Some episodes I loved immediately, and others took me a second try. And then there's that dreadful two-parter which had very few positive qualities worth discussing.

Anyway... welcome to the board.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Welcome Pentak!! I agree on season three. At one point, I thought it lagged far behind the other two seasons as far as quality and greatness. However, when I received season three on DVD, and began watching, I couldn't believe how many truly great episodes there were. When I think about how close the series came to being canceled after season two, it makes me savor the third season all the more.

Guest SouthernCelt

Welcome.

I too agree that season 3 had fewer stand-out episodes but my personal favorites seem to not be those that most TIWWA-ers like best. For example, I liked 'Innocents' and 'Exegesis' (a two-parter story), 'Skull & Bones' and 'Matryoshka' while a lot of folks here think they strayed too far from both S1 and S2 mytharc. I've always looked on those eps as being somewhat evolutionary since some dramatic changes in Frank and his relationship with the Group had occurred and the end of S2 more or less required moving him on to some newer mysteries while allowing further revelations about the Group and it's place in the world.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Welcome.

I too agree that season 3 had fewer stand-out episodes but my personal favorites seem to not be those that most TIWWA-ers like best. For example, I liked 'Innocents' and 'Exegesis' (a two-parter story), 'Skull & Bones' and 'Matryoshka' while a lot of folks here think they strayed too far from both S1 and S2 mytharc. I've always looked on those eps as being somewhat evolutionary since some dramatic changes in Frank and his relationship with the Group had occurred and the end of S2 more or less required moving him on to some newer mysteries while allowing further revelations about the Group and it's place in the world.

Yes, I agree, season 3 had fewer stand out episodes, but many more than I remembered from the first time around. I have probably asked this before, but after the first airing of season three, and the subsequent cancellation of the show, did they ever rerun the episodes during the typical rerun season? I would have to guess no, because I had so little memory of the episodes. Anyway, I am right there with you on Innocent and Exegesis. I think these two episodes are a lot better than people give them credit for. Also, as I have no doubt mentioned, I think Skull and Bones is one of the best of season 3 and the entire series. You kind of lose me on Matryoshka, which I view as pretty mediocre, and does not make it onto my list of episodes that I feel compelled to watch now and then. I agree that they did stray quite a bit from S1 and S2 but, personally, I kind of liked that. Each season kind of had it's own feel to it and, at times, S3 hardly even feels like the same show as S1.

Guest SouthernCelt
You kind of lose me on Matryoshka, which I view as pretty mediocre, and does not make it onto my list of episodes that I feel compelled to watch now and then.

I think I liked it primarily because of the way it used the flashbacks/dramatizations to set up the story and help explain the climax. That made it a bit different in the way the story played out which I though was a good deviation from what was expected. I also like the way they worked real people into the story (J. Edgar and his 'buddy'). It reminded me of the way the story played out when CSM on X-Files wrote his novel that was actually autobiographical but wouldn't be recognized as such.