Only a few days left until 2000 days remaining!

Rate this topic

The Old Man

• Elders (Admins)
This is The Curse of My Bad Math... is two thousand days to 2012 from 2000?

Hi,

The counter is set to countdown to 2012 as requested by one of the board members. The exact date escapes me just now!

Haha, I joined when there were 2001 days left... One more day delay, and it would have been really cool... :bigsmile::bigsmile: A sign or something, lol... :p

Cool! It looks odd saying 1996 today! Millennium's year of birth I guess!

Guest Ebdim9th

Awesome, if I'm really lucky, at some point my post count and the 2012 Mayan counter will converge...

I was wondering about the countdown timer as well.

I have built one using javascript for a little MLM project that I am working on (when I should be working on a 1500 word assignment on Suicide) anyway; I had trouble aligning it with the TIWWA front page.

Now two things that make this a little interesting is that I am using 21 December 2012 as the count down date and as of today (8 July 2007) it calculates 1992 days remaining. Now is this the same date that the TIWWA front page is using?

Secondly as I'm in Australia there could be a date/time difference between the server and my PC, that is, unless the TIWWA front page uses my local time/date to calculate the days remaining.

From what I can see it doesn't but Graham you could correct me on that one.

I think the choice of the 2012 date is a good one as it fits with the notion that "the time is near" and isn't it! And didn't the Owls predict an event in the next 60 years?

And speaking about time being near my psychology assignment is due next week. Oh well back to work.

Guest Ebdim9th

Hey ~~ StuartW~~ I don't remember hearing that quote you have in your sig on the show... where did it come from? (Its pretty nifty - as White Witch Willow might say)

I don't remember hearing that quote you have in your sig on the show... where did it come from?

Well it comes from The Hand of St Sebastian episod. Spoken by the Elder who is dressing down Peter Watts who wants to pursue an investigation to find the fabled hand.

Glad you like it.

I have posted a wallpaper with the quote on the board that you may like.

• Elders (Admins)
I was wondering about the countdown timer as well.

I have built one using javascript for a little MLM project that I am working on (when I should be working on a 1500 word assignment on Suicide) anyway; I had trouble aligning it with the TIWWA front page.

Now two things that make this a little interesting is that I am using 21 December 2012 as the count down date and as of today (8 July 2007) it calculates 1992 days remaining. Now is this the same date that the TIWWA front page is using?

Secondly as I'm in Australia there could be a date/time difference between the server and my PC, that is, unless the TIWWA front page uses my local time/date to calculate the days remaining.

From what I can see it doesn't but Graham you could correct me on that one.

HI Stuart, sorry for the delay in replying, I've not been online much the last few days due to work commitments.

I had a look at the source code to remind myself. This page could do with a re-write, the coding is horrendous! Anyway, the countdown is a PHP script function and simply uses year, month, day, hour and minutes.

It is currently set to 22nd December 2012 and the time is set to Midnight (00:00 not 23:59 or anything else).

I hope this helps.

It uses the PHP time function which returns the current time measured in the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch (January 1 1970 00:00:00 GMT) and the PHP mktime function which gets the server timestamp for a date calculation.

Its a bit confusing, but as I understand it, the number of days remaining which displays in your browser when looking at the TIWWA homepage won't take into account the timezone differences around the world as the script compares the selected date against the server time stamp.

Here's the script if its of use to you or anyone else:

<?php
class han
{
function countdown($year, $month, $day, $hour, $minute)
{
$now = time();
$then = mktime($hour, $minute, 0, $month, $day, $year, -1);

$diff = $then - $now;

if($diff < 0)
{
$diff = 0;
}

$days = floor($diff / 60 / 60 / 24);
$hours = floor(($diff - $days * 60 * 60 * 24) / 60 / 60);
$minutes = floor(($diff - $days * 60 * 60 * 24 - $hours * 60 * 60) / 60);
$seconds = floor($diff - $days * 60 * 60 * 24 - $hours * 60 * 60 - $minutes * 60);

return array(
$days,
$hours,
$minutes,
$seconds
);
}
}

$arr = han::countdown(2012, 12, 22, 00, 00);
echo "<p>There are " . $arr[0] . " days remaining.</p>";
?>[/code]

I think the choice of the 2012 date is a good one as it fits with the notion that "the time is near" and isn't it! And didn't the Owls predict an event in the next 60 years?

And speaking about time being near my psychology assignment is due next week. Oh well back to work.

Yes, me too. It was a good suggestion by one of the fans of the show here on the forums.

In the past we had it counting down to the DVD release!

By the way, we have a desktop wallpaper section in the gallery if you want to share your wallpapers, please feel free!

Thanks for the response and the information. The fact that the date is referenced from the hosting server I think is the difference.

I have only worked a little with PHP I used to design webpages as an add on to some consulting work I was doing about 10 years ago and I have done a couple of my own pages but one gets rusty if you don't use it.

Guest Ebdim9th

That's cool, ~The Old Man~ I'll have to try it, maybe here, maybe another forum that uses PHP...

~Stuart~ The Hand of Saint Sabastian is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series, I'd definitely put it in the top 5. In it, the MillenniuM Group appeared mystical, but not Evil. :angel::rock2: