X-files and brewskies

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Well, I finally broke down and bought the copy of X-files season three that I have been eye balling for the last week or so. Of course, I bought the slim set, which isn't quite as sexy as the original DVD release, but as I always say, discs is discs (try saying that fast 20 times), and the packaging wont effect how the episodes look on the screen. The sets they were selling were normally $50 at FYE, but they had them on sale for $30, all except for the one I had my eye on, which was only $25 for some reason. I kind of regretted not buying it on my last visit, so I committed to buying it if it was still there, and it was, tucked all the way in the back of the pile where I left it. As previously mentioned, I had pretty much concluded that season three was my overall favorite. Upon opening the package and looking at the episode list, I was especially pleased to see how many awesome classic episodes are in the set. An additional benefit of buying it is that I sold my "Abduction" box set, and have recently been craving some of the episodes on it. Obviously, season 3 doesn't have them all, but it has some of the great ones.

In addition to this stroke of luck, my step mom told me to take home 2/3 of a 24 pack of Miller Light that she feared might be reaching it's "best by" date, but I'm sure it's fine. Everyone here who knows me, knows I am a closet alcoholic, and how much better can an alcoholic have it than a case of beer and X-files DVDs. :swingin: I am looking forward to many of these episodes that I haven't seen in as many as 6 or 7 years I would think. Maybe longer. I think the last time I watched X-files reruns frequently was probably the late 90s on FX. Even in the early 2000s, when I was watching the final seasons of the show, I wasn't really watching the reruns on a regular basis. I start salivating when I think of episodes of Grotesque, Syzygy, Jose Chung, The Walk, Clyde Bruckman, etc etc. I might even make it an X-files/Millennium double feature tonight.

Well, I finally broke down and bought the copy of X-files season three that I have been eye balling for the last week or so. Of course, I bought the slim set, which isn't quite as sexy as the original DVD release, but as I always say, discs is discs (try saying that fast 20 times), and the packaging wont effect how the episodes look on the screen. The sets they were selling were normally $50 at FYE, but they had them on sale for $30, all except for the one I had my eye on, which was only $25 for some reason. I kind of regretted not buying it on my last visit, so I committed to buying it if it was still there, and it was, tucked all the way in the back of the pile where I left it. As previously mentioned, I had pretty much concluded that season three was my overall favorite. Upon opening the package and looking at the episode list, I was especially pleased to see how many awesome classic episodes are in the set. An additional benefit of buying it is that I sold my "Abduction" box set, and have recently been craving some of the episodes on it. Obviously, season 3 doesn't have them all, but it has some of the great ones.

In addition to this stroke of luck, my step mom told me to take home 2/3 of a 24 pack of Miller Light that she feared might be reaching it's "best by" date, but I'm sure it's fine. Everyone here who knows me, knows I am a closet alcoholic, and how much better can an alcoholic have it than a case of beer and X-files DVDs. :swingin: I am looking forward to many of these episodes that I haven't seen in as many as 6 or 7 years I would think. Maybe longer. I think the last time I watched X-files reruns frequently was probably the late 90s on FX. Even in the early 2000s, when I was watching the final seasons of the show, I wasn't really watching the reruns on a regular basis. I start salivating when I think of episodes of Grotesque, Syzygy, Jose Chung, The Walk, Clyde Bruckman, etc etc. I might even make it an X-files/Millennium double feature tonight.

welcome to the club buddy!

you know i have season 6 on a slim set. i think i paid $35 for it at Best Buy. Seasons 1-5 & 7 are collectors sets i bought a few years back at a used dvd and cd store that was going out of business, i got lucky.

Hey i have had a X-File marathon of my own and had pizza and beer

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Sounds good. Season 3 is my favourite season of the show.

Yes, it has a great mix. I watched Grotesque last night. Still trying to decide what to watch tonight.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
My fav. is Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose

2Shy and Avatar are also close behind

Yes, Clyde Bruckman is a great one. I am waiting to be in just the right mood for it. 2Shy is a great one too now that I think about it. Once in a while I have a flashback of when I watched one of the episodes for the first time. I can remember getting home just in time and watching 2Shy for the first time. It kind of bums me out a little when I have these memories, because there may never be anything as great as XF and MM again, or at least not anything that I look forward to the way I did those two shows. As I have said before, I do find that there is still a great deal of quality programing on these days, so I guess I can make due, but nothing is quite like XF and MM in their glory days.

Yes, Clyde Bruckman is a great one. I am waiting to be in just the right mood for it. 2Shy is a great one too now that I think about it. Once in a while I have a flashback of when I watched one of the episodes for the first time. I can remember getting home just in time and watching 2Shy for the first time. It kind of bums me out a little when I have these memories, because there may never be anything as great as XF and MM again, or at least not anything that I look forward to the way I did those two shows. As I have said before, I do find that there is still a great deal of quality programing on these days, so I guess I can make due, but nothing is quite like XF and MM in their glory days.

yes i remember on Sunday between 8-9pm i would not answer the phone and if my wife answers it and someone needs to talk to me, they need to call back at 9:01.

i didnt start really following MM until their last season but it woule be the same, Leave Me Alone!

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
yes i remember on Sunday between 8-9pm i would not answer the phone and if my wife answers it and someone needs to talk to me, they need to call back at 9:01.

i didnt start really following MM until their last season but it woule be the same, Leave Me Alone!

I always loved the X-files, but I never did like when they moved from Friday to Sunday. Friday was just so perfect. I remember settling in for the weekend and enjoying X-files with no worries on my mind, the whole weekend ahead of me. Sunday just didn't have the right mood for the X-files... not for me anyway. But, having no other choice, I guess I had to adjust to the new time. I don't remember now, but didn't Millennium stick with Friday night? Millennium had me from day one. Just looking at the mood and look of the previews, the cast that they had selected, the fact that it was created by Chris Carter, and seeing that Terry O'Quinn in particular was on board, filled me with an anticipation that I have rarely had for a new series. Needless to say, they surpassed all of my expectations.

I can remember being very perturbed when someone interrupted an episode of either of these programs. So much so, that I specifically remember these interruptions. I remember my brother and his kids coming over during the first "Pusher" episode. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the nieces and nephews, but during that particular hour in time, I was less than ecstatic to see them. I also remember by brother in law coming over right in the middle of "Beware of the Dog". In fact, right at the conclusion where it was really getting good, and the dogs were surrounding Bebe's house. Other than that, I was pretty much holed up and hunkered down for each episode, and the answering machine got a workout during those two hours of the week. I would kind of listen out of the corner of my ear, and as long as I didn't hear anything about the Russians launching a nuclear missile strike or an asteroid striking the Earth, I would dismiss the call until later. Of course, everyone who knew me knew that this was not the time to call anyway. Come to think of it, a good number of the people I knew were watching the shows themselves.

Guest ZeusFaber
Sunday just didn't have the right mood for the X-files... not for me anyway. But, having no other choice, I guess I had to adjust to the new time. I don't remember now, but didn't Millennium stick with Friday night?

When The X-Files moved to Sunday with "Unruhe", Millennium took over the slot of Fridays at 9 and never moved.

Yes, Clyde Bruckman is a great one

"Clyde Bruckman's Finale Repose" is a favourite of mine too. The likes of "Syzygy", "Paper Clip", "Pusher", "731", "War of the Coprophages", "Piper Maru", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and "Quagmire" all help make it such an enjoyable year.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
When The X-Files moved to Sunday with "Unruhe", Millennium took over the slot of Fridays at 9 and never moved.

"Clyde Bruckman's Finale Repose" is a favourite of mine too. The likes of "Syzygy", "Paper Clip", "Pusher", "731", "War of the Coprophages", "Piper Maru", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and "Quagmire" all help make it such an enjoyable year.

Funny you mention Jose Chung because I decided to watch it last night and I was just about to post about it. I hesitate to mention it now, because you list it among your favs from that season, and I don't want it to sound like I'm arguing with you about it being a worthy fav. It has been years sense I saw the episode, and I was a tad disappointed with it. I remember being a little turned off by it the first time, because I found the opening scene to be amateurish looking and kind of lame. In the past, I have gone on record with raves about Darin Morgan, and recently defended his work on Millennium, but I have to be objective and admit that Jose Chung's From Outer Space falls short of his work on MM and other work on XF, although I'm not a huge fan of "Humbug" either. Don't get me wrong, the X-files Jose Chung is a fun episode, with some good highlights and a few laughs, but it lacks the brilliance and magic of the Millennium episodes. At some points it seems clever but, at others, it just came across as cheesy. On the positive side, I really enjoyed Jesse Ventura as one of the MIB (Men In Black, not to be confused with Millennium Is Bliss). I also enjoyed the dialogue from those scenes. I also loved all of the adorable faces of skepticism that Scully makes throughout the episode. My favorite one is when the phone wakes her up and her hair is a bit messy and she tells Mulder that they found his "Bleepin' UFO". It was also fun to see Alex Diakun (Ephram Fabercant) as the Dr., but the episode often drags, prompting me to even fast forward at one point. Maybe this is the reason that I managed to completely miss Allan Zinyk in the episode. All in all, it would probably squeak out a 7 out of 10 ranking in my humble opinion, while the MM episodes and XF episodes such as Clyde Bruckman would get a 9 or 10. On a side note, while viewing Darin Morgan's filmography, I was amused and amazed to find out that Darin Morgan played Eddie Van Blundht on the X-files episode "Small Potatoes". I am guessing that most people here knew that, but I had no idea. In fact, I didn't know he ever did any acting at all. That is not how I pictured him.