The Series Amped gets unplugged

Rate this topic

Frank Spotnitz on A.M.P.E.D.

This entry was posted on 4/20/2007 4:50 PM and is filed under Interviews.

I was combing through a few old transcripts recently, cleaning up the old hard drive, and came across an interview with Frank Spotnitz from about a year ago, about the DVD release of his ill-fated Night Stalker. At the end of the lengthy chat, which was tinged with all the emotional baggage of the flameout of a series about which he cared greatly, Spotnitz spoke in optimistic tones about his next project, another television pilot, called A.M.P.E.D., which sounded like it tilted heavily toward nature in the age-old nature-nurture debate.

“It’s a pilot I wrote with Vince Gilligan, another one of my colleagues from the X-Files days," says Spotnitz. "It’s really scary and funny, and it’s for Spike TV. It’s about cops in a police precinct who go out every day into a world that’s changed. The idea is that it’s exactly like our world today except that a certain percentage of the population has begun to mutate, and the way that they mutate is completely unpredictable. It depends on your individual DNA. Quite literally some people are becoming monsters. So the cops go out and never know what they’re going to encounter every day. It’s got a lot of allegorical qualities for terrorism and racism, as well as just being a really fun and entertaining show. We’re shooting it this summer (2006) and I’m not really sure when they’re planning on broadcasting it.”

Ahh, yes, their plans to broadcast it. Lee Tergesen and Sarah Brown were cast in the pilot, which got underway in October of last year, but Spike TV didn't pick the series up, and based on all available chatter, neither will anyone else. So it languishes, with Spotnitz's words a reflection on what might have been, and a reminder that for all its glitz, Hollywood is still mostly of all a town of broken dreams, no-go projects and half-measures.

Guest Laurent.

Thanks for the bad news. Could you post a link to where you found out the show wasn't picked up? The only thing I could find was this comment from July 11 on Spotnitz blog:

«As for "Amped," the pilot has been shot, but -- for now, at least -- no broadcast plans have been made.»

Television really is a Harsh Realm.