What would it take?

Rate this topic

Gunslinger

Ok, I've got a thought. That alone qualifies as a good day..lol. I am always impressed at the brainstorming capabilities and points of view on this board. This may be too big of a topic to tackle in detail, but here goes. What combination of factors, if any, do you think could actually tip America over the brink and cause an implosion and collapse of our society? I'm talking civil unrest, the eminent collapse of the government and of society in general. No emergency services, no fast food, basically life as we know it coming to a halt within one year of the catalyst event. No nuclear holocaust scenarios, that is a given. Do you think the government is powerful enough to stop the collapse at any level no matter what the cause may be, or do you believe there is something that could actually cause a "point of no return"? Would other countries help us out or begin fighting over the spoils of post-collapse America?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sheree Dawn
Ok, I've got a thought. That alone qualifies as a good day..lol. I am always impressed at the brainstorming capabilities and points of view on this board. This may be too big of a topic to tackle in detail, but here goes. What combination of factors, if any, do you think could actually tip America over the brink and cause an implosion and collapse of our society? I'm talking civil unrest, the eminent collapse of the government and of society in general. No emergency services, no fast food, basically life as we know it coming to a halt within one year of the catalyst event. No nuclear holocaust scenarios, that is a given. Do you think the government is powerful enough to stop the collapse at any level no matter what the cause may be, or do you believe there is something that could actually cause a "point of no return"? Would other countries help us out or begin fighting over the spoils of post-collapse America?

Number 1-- I've had thoughts today, also. That makes it a special day for both of us.

As for the end of life as we know it... I think we came awfully close when Katrina hit and refineries in the gulf were shut down. Gas prices went up and in some places (locally at least) ran out all together. A natural disaster would cripple the economy for the obvious gas issues--which would also drive up the cost of anything at all that is for sale for the reason that it would cost more to deliver the goods. And look at the destruction of the cities affected by Katrina... That could have been any of us. It doesn't have to be a hurricane; it could be tornados, snow, or even drought conditions. Anyone in the south could testify how bad things got here last year. Would other countries step in to rescue us? Hell no. They would lurk about like vultures just waiting for us to collapse entirely, then swoop in to take over or just watch us fade into the night.

Guest peas_and_corn
Number 1-- I've had thoughts today, also. That makes it a special day for both of us.

As for the end of life as we know it... I think we came awfully close when Katrina hit and refineries in the gulf were shut down. Gas prices went up and in some places (locally at least) ran out all together. A natural disaster would cripple the economy for the obvious gas issues--which would also drive up the cost of anything at all that is for sale for the reason that it would cost more to deliver the goods. And look at the destruction of the cities affected by Katrina... That could have been any of us. It doesn't have to be a hurricane; it could be tornados, snow, or even drought conditions. Anyone in the south could testify how bad things got here last year. Would other countries step in to rescue us? Hell no. They would lurk about like vultures just waiting for us to collapse entirely, then swoop in to take over or just watch us fade into the night.

Most gulf states don't have refinery capabilities- Iran recently had a fuel shortage because the sanctions were causing problems with getting the refined fuel back into the country.

Guest Sheree Dawn
Most gulf states don't have refinery capabilities- Iran recently had a fuel shortage because the sanctions were causing problems with getting the refined fuel back into the country.

Their capabilities may be limited, but it was enough to use as an excuse to jack prices up with Katrina hit and they had shut the refineries down that were in the Gulf.