Millenium ended at the close of Season 2

Rate this topic

Guest Future_Sight

Guest Future_Sight

To me...Millenium ended at the end of Season 2, with the death of Catherine, and Frank's departure from Millenium.

Season 3, whilst good, is like a different series to me. It's like "Millenium 2".

The feel of the show changed, and in a way I felt the series Jumped the Shark when Catherine moved out at the start of season 2.

By dismantling that core structure of Frank's life, I feel they messed with his motivations, and the way the audience could relate to his life. His relationship with Catherine was distant, and I think the audience's relationship with her character was distant too - by proxy.

Doesn't stop me loving all three seasons though!! :clapping:

Guest ZeusFaber

Well, I'm sure you understand that the way you describe Season 3 as feeling like a different show is how others, such as myself, feel about Season 2.

The feel of the show did indeed change for Season 3, but it also changed just as dramatically for Season 2 when compared with Season 1. Which of those changes were for the better and which were for the worse are often hotly debated, and you'll find it's probably the most frequently discussed topic around these parts.

Guest Laurent.

Millennium's biggest strength in my eyes is also what a lot may call its biggest problem; with each new season, the new showrunners wanted to step away with what had already been done and explore new territories. Yet the quality remained the same; that's how you can identify master artists. They avoid repeating themselves and falling into a routine. Every change made was to improve the show, if it succeeded or not is up to debate. But like Zeus stated, you cannot say that MM ended with season 2 has the changes were as drastic between the first and second year.

Hi gang,

I think you might be misreading the poster's point a tad.

He states that the series changed irrevocably for him/her when Season Two separated Catherine and Frank and he/she (sorry about this) notes the different viewer relationship this engendered with the leads which is hardly supportive of the idea that the poster has ignored the thematic changes between Season One and Two, in fact, it rather suggests that these are addressed as well.

Smiles,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

Yeah you're right.

It's just that I feel that you can't say that season 3 was like "Millennium 2". Because even though on paper season 3 is more different from the first season than 2 (in structure; no catherine, frank at the fbi, new characters, old characters left out.....); season three's atmosphere was a bit closer to that of the original concept, at least in its vision of evil (which is what Millennium is all about).

So I don't think you can say that season 3 was a Millennium 2 and that Millennium 1 ended with the death of catherine. The concept was back to the original idea and the structural changes were mostly done in response to events of the second season.

I should have made my point clearer, sorry. Even then, it's just a question of opinion and I can see how Future_Sight could defend his point of view.

I'm particularly glad that you (F_S) enjoyed the third season even though you felt it wasn't the same show!

Guest Sheree Dawn

I really felt that the end of season two was really no different than one. Although the effects of the season 1 finale was not felt immediately. It took the first episode of season two to complete the change. There was such a drastic change in the plot, the energy and the motivation of the charactes at the end of both seasons. Season 3 was a bit of a let-down for me personally as I saw it going in a totally different direction contrary to my own preferences.