Celebrating the season with MOTC and Omerta

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

Does anyone else watch these episodes this time of year? I love both of them so much, and they are both very different takes on the idea of a "Christmas episode."

I think Midnight of the Century perfectly encapsulates the feeling of loneliness that I always get while watching season 2. In season 2 Frank is separated from his family and doesn't even completely trust the person he works with most (Watts)... really, the only person who seems to relieve that loneliness for much of the season is Lara and they have a very emotional scene in this episode. Watching MOTC makes me think about my father, not because of the scene with Frank and his father, but because of the separation that Frank so obviously feels. When my parents were separated and then divorced, my dad was incredibly lonely, and of course those feelings always heighten on the holidays. He only told me years later how terribly lonely and heartbroken he felt at that time of year before he got remarried.

MOTC packs SO much into a single episode. It begins by tying Christmas into the larger theme of Millennium with the Frank/Peter/Lara scene, includes material about Frank's mother, his current family situation, and the strongest emphasis on Jordan's "gift" on the show to that point. There is an appearance by a Samiel-type "angelic" being. Finally the long, haunting scene in Frank's childhood home and an incredibly emotional scene with his father (and what an impact that ONE performance by Darren McGavin made!). It's an episode that uses the Christmas holiday as a device to explore the relationships of the characters.

It's funny, then, that Omerta is so the opposite of MOTC, and yet a totally engaging and delightful episode in its own right. Whereas MOTC is embedded in human relationships, Omerta is a fairy tale. It shows the other side of Christmas, the magic and the hopefulness of the season. It's about our desire to believe in miracles, both magical and spiritual. Not only does Lhasa "miraculously" heal the sick, but Eddie experiences his own miracle in a poignant scene with Boney that confirms Eddie's complete transformation from a killer into a man of compassion. Of course, Omerta is not without family moments as well, as Frank and Jordan cope with Catherine's loss during a time of the year when that weight becomes even heavier (how many of us have said, "this will be our first Christmas without Grandpa," etc?).

Mark Snow's music for Omerta is unquestionably my favorite of the entire series. With the unmistakable vocal cues he is largely responsible for giving Omerta a mood unique from every other episode of Millennium. Despite a few typically Millennium graphic or gory moments, knowing the outcome of the episode makes watching Omerta like wearing a warm blanket to me. As a die-hard MM fan I think the story stands up to any of the traditional, cliched Christmas specials that flood the airwaves every December. I would argue that it's the more "Christmasy" of the two, while MOTC is the more "Millenniumy", if that makes any sense.

Well, it being this time of the year I thought I'd take a few paragraphs to ruminate on these two great episodes. I would love to hear other people's thoughts and memories relating to them as well.

It's not Christmas without 'Midnight of the Century'. I just loaned the episode to a co-worker because he's a huge Kolchak fan. He had never seen MM but really liked the episode.

'Omerta' I can live without. Great score like you said but I just didn't like the story.

Hi Rodimus,

Midnight of the Century IS Christmas at Chez Snafu in much the same way as Curse of Frank Black is Halloween. It represents that moment when I allow myself to indulge in the festivities, nay, immerse myself would be a more fitting description. Omerta, on the other hand, I can take or leave, it isn't that I don't like it, there's nothing about any MM episode that I dislike profoundly, I just don't love it so I can live without it to be honest.

Yup, this year it's two types of bread , fat free eggnog (spot the shameless quote) and Midnight of the Century for me once again.

Season's Greetings :)

Eth

Guest byron lomax

I like both of these episodes but neither is one of my very favourites. The two episodes, as Rodimus points out, are very different takes on Christmas. "MOTC" is an important character episode and is best viewed when watching the whole second season, it isn't really an episode I'd dig out to watch in isolation.

It was great to see Jon Polito in "Omerta", he played such a great character in Homicide: Life on the Street named Crossetti (an episode named after him is one of the most moving things I've ever seen on television). I'm actually of the opposite opinion of Watts: I like the story, but find the score (that "woooooo" noise) to be really irritating!

• Elders (Admins)

Long time members will no doubt recall I love to watch Midnight of the Century late on Christmas Day, sometimes on Christmas Eve. Like The Curse of Frank Black, I consider it to be one of Millennium and TV's finest moments of all time, for so many reasons that transcend the links to these wonderful occasions. I also love the music as it creates some amazing atmosphere that goes well with the imagery and more in depth look into Frank's past.

Omerta, I only recently discovered a few years back, because we never got to see Season 3 on TV until SciFi broadcast it years later, as I recall. However I really like that episode, not as much as the S2 Christmas episode. It also for me leaves a few opportunities aside or perhaps cut, that could have been included, to put the icing on the cake this episode so deserves. Its definitely the lesser of the episodes, but one I'll be watching for Christmas all the same.

The problem I have at the moment, is that I lent S2 to a friend last week to watch who was itching to find out what happened after S1's cliffhanger.

I can only hope that I get it back in time for Christmas or this will be the first year to break a long standing tradition and I'll be very upset.

Here's to hoping you get it back on time and keep that great tradition going! I think "Midnight of the Century" is one of those episodes that's a must see for someone who's thinking about getting into 'Millennium". I loaned the episode to a co-worker and he wants to see more. Another future fan perhaps?

My 200th post! Awesome. Chugging right along.

Edited by Watts

Guest RodimusBen

It's interesting that you all would pick MOTC over Omerta to show to a non-fan. Admittedly I'm a season 3 defender but it seems like Omerta would be easier to understand by someone who had never seen the show. I can't imagine getting as much out of the family scenes in MOTC unless I already had an emotional investment in the characters. It's probably a better-written hour of television, admittedly, but I feel like I would have to explain a lot to a non-fan. "See, Peter and Lara are from this group that..." "See, Frank and his wife are separated because..." Did you all have this problem?

Guest RodimusBen

To be sure, I'm sure that casting irony was lost on NO ONE who was involved with the show. In fact, I think I remember literally laughing out loud when I first saw him.